Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Another tale of buggy woe and some questions I desperately need help with

(4 posts)
  1. BuggedOutBob

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 3 2013 10:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I never would have guessed these little bastards could create such a living nightmare. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but there is a sort of comfort in finding this community of orphans in the bug-infested storm, and assorted bed bug refugees.

I was staying in a serviced apartment which was fumigated after my first attack, and I was subsequently moved in to the apartment next door, only to be under attack all over again after a few days of just gorgeous, seemingly bed-bug free serenity. Prior to that, I'd been covered literally from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet, causing a nasty limp alongside all the other maddening symptoms that you'd be all too familiar with. The staff at the apartments were a nightmare to deal with after the first attack, and only conceded that bed bugs may be the issue (let alone then having to fight for fumigation) after I turned up at their office with my bitten eyelids all swollen up like I'd just gone 12 rounds with Money Mayweather - not exactly stellar PR for them, limping around the block, looking not entirely unlike a recovering burns victim (not meaning to be offensive, it's an apt description). I'm out of my home country too, in a happy little dictatorship in the South Pacific, where my rights aren't exactly clear, and I don't have the energy to go to war for my rights either (wasn't in the best health to begin with but that's a story for another time); all I feel up to is fleeing the problem.

So I have - I've simply fled the whole apartment block and I'm literally now renting two places and gradually moving a few things over at a time from the infested apartment, hoping desperately that I'm not bringing the bugs with me each time. I don't think I have so far. I'm not opposed to abandoning most of my possessions if it comes to it, but what *should* I abandon? Can I keep my clothes if I get them washed super-hot for super-long? Is there anything they won't have infested by now? Books? A soft guitar case? My guit-aaaaaaar (acoustic)? If there's any positive to glean from this, it's that I'm certainly back in touch with how little we really need - in my case, my wallet, passport, and computer are basically it, and I can replace most everything else. But now that I'm back in touch those pleasant hippie notions of living simply, I'd like a few more of my bloody things. HELP

2. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 3 2013 11:00:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow. First of all, I have to congratulate you for managing such an entertaining post despite your situation.

Please read the FAQs on this site. There is plenty of advice on how to travel without transferring bed bugs. For your clothing, you can either wash on hot or just dry on hot, 30 minutes should do the trick, but most people go a little longer just to be safe (120 F is the ideal temp). For other items there are options such as visual inspection, an item called a Packtite, or DDVP strips. However, bed bugs are not very likely to infest those types of items unless the infestation is severe or those items are kept close to the host (you).

Once again, spend a bit of time on the FAQs, they are tremendously helpful. Best of luck to you.

3. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 3 2013 21:51:18
    #

Login to Send PM

hi BuggedOutBob

when I got bites on my eyelids back when my infestation was completely out of control, the doc gave me a prescription for Atarax and it went away really fast, for the rest of my body I would soak in Aveeno, the stuff is like oatmeal that you put in a bath tub, this will relieve a lot of your itching suffering.... (*) do check with your own doctor, you need a prescription for Atarax

do not throw anything out, that's a huge mistake that people do when they have bed bugs, if it's something that you were going to thrash anyway do it, but if it has any value to you whatsoever keep it, you'll really regret it if you throw it away

like Buggy said, look into DDVP it's inexpensive and not too complicated to use, it will save your guitar and its case and other stuff

best of luck

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  4. BuggedOutBob

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 4 2013 1:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much, guys - plenty to work with there

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081