Another Success Story

(3 posts)
  1. Westside777

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Sep 3 2018 6:58:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I noticed my problem earlier this summer, the ink-colored/stained patch on one corner of a box spring that was directly under my mattress, sitting right on the floor and not in a frame, but I did not know what the mark on the box spring was.

I did not see a bug until later, on my sheet when I awoke one morning - figured it may have crawled in through the window where I have a portable window a/c placed - and I did not know that it was a "bed bug." Then I noticed two on my sheet when I woke up another morning - exact same kind of bug. I killed them, but noticed that there were blood smears on my sheets. I lifted up the mattress, found a few more and killed them too. I had no idea what I was in for. I awoke another morning and found them on my sheets, realized I had bed bugs.

LESSONS LEARNED AND WHAT WORKED FOR ME:

Don't use a bunch of store-bought sprays all over your box spring and mattress and the room(s) and think it is going to solve your problem. That was a waste of money for me. When I continued to see them on/in my bed, then also saw one on my couch, I knew they were infested to a degree that was not visible to me, so I discarded of my box spring, mattress and couch professionally, and I think that was biggest contributor to my success: those places are where 90% or more of them were living/hiding. I took everything out of the rooms that they had been in, inspected and cleaned everything (I used 91% Isopropyl), took caulk and sealed all along the window frames and baseboards where there were small openings/cracks that bed bugs could fit in, any cracks in the walls, etc. I covered the carpet with diatomaceous earth, the one room where there was carpet, rubbed it in a little then applied a little more on top, and lived like Bedouin (like another poster said) for three weeks in another spare room. I also dusted diatomaceous earth in the other room where the couch was. And waited ten days, was going to clean up, then saw another bed bug! Killed it, waited another 3 days, then saw another baby one. That kept happening for about 18 days, then I did not see a single nymph or bed bug, not even in a monitor or with my flashlight and magnifying glass in the middle of the night. I vacuumed and shampooed the carpet, cleaned thoroughly, and life is back to normal. I applied a light remnant of diatomaceous earth between the carpet and walls in that one room and still have monitors here and there, but they have been clear for a while. No sign of bed bugs.

2. Westside777

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Sep 3 2018 7:03:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant it was three weeks total with the D.E. on the carpet and me living in the other room, including the '18 days' I mentioned, all told, about 23 days after cleaning.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Sep 3 2018 8:03:19
    #

Login to Send PM

You have to be careful with DE. Just because it says it's food quality, it means to digest not inhale. It does contain a small percentage of crystalline silica and that's not good to inhale. CimeXa dust has no crystalline component, totally amorphous silica compound.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45