and so it begins

(9 posts)
  1. NeverSleeps

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 3:54:54
    #

Login to Send PM

after so many sleepless nights (and sleeping pills, sigh) the battle begins.

we gave the bed a good inspection. found NOTHING.

so far:
    -closed up some tears in the plastic still covering our new bed
    -checked out out the metal bedframe - NOTHING
    -put double sided tape around legs of frame (above the wheels)
    -put everything that was on the bed into the drier for 20 min-included clothes we will be wearing to bed and clothes to be worn tomorrow
    -and put some sticky pads around the molding walls of our room.
    -marked old bites so that new ones will be more obvious (as if the itching isn't a good enough sign)

tomorrow:
    -serious vacuuming
    -serious purging
    -serious calling PCO
    -serious laundry
    -serious culking
    (yeah we probably won't get all this done tomorrow. but hopefully another good start)

should be a fun week...

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 10:19:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck, NS. Make sure you get someone good. There is a faq written by an entomologist/PCO with advice on what to ask. Remember that the crucial things are: prompt follow-up inspections/treatments and technicians that are patient and thorough. You of course also need to do the necessary prep work.

If in the course of your interviewing PCOs you need to verify that the suggested protocols and materials are adequate and known to be effective for bedbugs, you can ask Sean, the author of the PCO faq, in the forums at his site: thebedbugresource.com

It gets better!

3. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 11:00:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish to confirm that Sean is very knowlegable, and both his website and this one have been a great help. I know that putting tea tree oil on the bite right away does help some people for the itching. Good luck, hope your days get better and better.

4. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 14:02:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I just discovered this site yeaterday and it is a great resource, you folks are really knowledgeable and amazing, but this place is also really frightening.

About 3 weeks ago, I got three suspicious bug bites on my stomach. I immediately thought "bedbugs" because we had them in the building last spring. I live in a 13-story highrise, bedbugs were discovered on the 8th floor. Every unit on floors 7, 8 and 9 was treated and every condo in the building was inspected by a pest control guy. I live all the way down on 4 and was cleared.

Nevertheless, I told myself i was probably overreacting, and my friends agreed. So then last Saturday I got three new bites in almost the same spot, below my navel. Once again, the itching lasted only a day or two but it was intense and the swelling lingers. Now I am really paranoid and afraid.

I have seen no live bugs, shells, flecks or blood spots, but it seems that doesn't mean they're not there. Although I think only being bitten twice in a month means that, if I have them, they might not be that bad yet? And hitting them aggressively now could be helpful?

My condo association acted quickly and aggressively last time, and they still have the pest guy in once a week. Which is great. Unfortunately, I do have a clutter problem in the bedroom. Right now, because I have only been bitten twice, the scariest part of this is the cleaning. Nevertheless, I plan to spend the weekend decluttering, cleaning, vacuuming, and laundering as much bedding, towels, and clothes as I can. Then I will have the pest guy in next week to look around. It could be nothing, maybe some late-season mosquitos or an allergy or something else. But it seems to me that waiting to get more bites or see see evidence of bugs would be foolish.

So I am wondering - do you think I am overreacting? Will the pest guy spray if he sees no evidence, or will the bites and the condo's history be enough to start a treatment program? Also, I am not home very often, I spend most of my time out and about and ccome home straight to bed. Do most TV viewing and reading in the bedroom. Rarely sit on my couch. Is it true that, at this point, they are probably confined to the bedroom, within maybe 20 feet of the bed?

Thanks. Just typing this is making me feel like bugs are crawling under my clothes.

5. nomorebugs

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 15:21:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you are being cautious. While bed bugs are known to do everything, I thing typical hourborage sites are the bed, mattress seems, box spring, headboard, and areas around the bed. I would concentrate on those areas.

They are lazy and want easy access to you. Also once fed, they are happy just to sit there until the next feeding.

Also you might was to consider ordering good mattress covers now. This will prevent them from getting into the bed and lock in any existing ones. And the whiteness will make bugs easier to spot.

Good luck to you. Spread the word and lets all try to stop these pests.

6. pleasehelp

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 15:37:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder about clearing the clutter before the PCO gets there. My PCO is scheduled to come on Monday & I asked if I should try to eliminate clutter before then & they said no, leave it in place... Is this what most of them say???

7. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 15:46:04
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG I can't let a stranger in to see how I have shoes and clothes all over the place. That's more embarassing than the bugs!

I see a banner ad for bedding encasements on this page. Is that just a random google ad or is that vendor endorsed by the forum PTB? I don't know where to buy mattress covers other than the regular kind.

**thinks this will be expensive**

**considers calling the Bank of Dad**

8. nomorebugs

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 17:04:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Trust me, all you want is to get rid of bugs, especially if they are bed bugs. The are the absolute worst insect pests to have in your house. But, they don't spread disease.

You can try to inspect your clothes, especially the ones on the floor and on the bed. The PCO will inspect too.

There are several recommended mattress covers. Find ones tested to keep in/out bed bugs and order the ones that fit your bed.

9. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2007 12:29:37
    #

Login to Send PM

My war also has begun. This morning I finally found evidence beyond the two bites. I saw three little brownish things in the mattress crack, one slightly larger than the others. I am guesing they are shells.

Should I pick them up with a piece of tape and save them for the PCO, or leave them so he can see them in their hiding place? Also, should I strip the bed and do laundry, or just leave the sheets on until I can get the guy in next week?

I am putting a plan into motion. Since I have only been bitten twice in a month, I am hoping my infestation is minimal. But I am afraid to lift the mattress and look under it. I have read the FAQs and much of the forum, and I think what is needed is swift and aggressive action. Usually am a denier and procrastinator, but not this time!

This weekend, I will hand off my cat to stay with my mom for a while. Then I will do some declutering and serious laundry. I already bought some detergent and XXL ziplocs. I am also going to order some of those NA mattress covers so I can be ready when they guy says it's time to use them.

I have read all the FAQs, I think what you guys might recommend is decluttering so the guy can examine the baseboards, etc., but not a super 100% cleaning that would disrupt the bugs?

Thank you for this wonderful forum. Had I not found it, I probably would have let this problem fester until it was a lot worse. The education I have gotten here really put things in perspective quickly.

Neversleeps, how are you doing? I kind of took over your thread. Sorry.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,433 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams