Am I losing sleep over nothing?

(3 posts)
  1. itchyandparanoid

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 23:04:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved into a new apartment a month ago. A couple of weeks after I moved in, I saw a bug crawling through my dog's fur. It wasn't a tick, but looked bigger than a flea. I assumed it was one of the two regardless, and immediately bathed her, put on a new topical flea/tick treatment and sprayed the apartment with flea- and tick-killing spray. A week or so after that, I noticed a couple of bites on my legs. They itched and looked like mosquito bites, so I thought nothing of it. Then, a few days ago, I began experiencing generalized itching on my chest and back, as well as fitfull sleep, which I attributed to being too hot. Since I had moved in, I had found myself washing my bedding repeatedly, as there were a couple of small blood spots on my fitted sheet and one of my pillows. My dog shares my bed, and I attributed the spots to raw spots she had developed from scratching at what I assumed were the fleas.

However, a friend of mine mentioned her family's battle with bedbugs the other day, and the blood spots from squished bugs on their sheets. My mind was reeling. I immediately took to the internet to find whatever information I could about the little bloodsuckers. I pored over and then lint-rolled all of my bedding, looking for any evidence of the critters. I found a couple of really small, masking-tape-colored, thin, almost-transparent flakes that I assume could be molted bedbug skin, and one miniscule, almost invisible red-brown speck, which, when I held up to the light on my fingernail appeared to have stripes or ridges. Before I could examine it further, I breathed out, and it flew off of my nail.

Panicking, I washed my clothes and bedding in hot water (some loads repeatedly). I immediately sprayed the mattress, box spring, bed frame and carpet underneath with orange-peel-based insect killer. I went to the hardware store and sprayed a bedbug killer (called "Kills Bedbugs II") all over the area as well. While I was spraying, I scoured the area for any sign of the bugs and found nothing. However, at one point during the day, I saw what looked like a small, oblong, black and yellow cockroach crawling across my desk (in the same room). I smashed it, and it left a black smudge on the tissue.

Once the treated area was dry, I vacuumed it (with special attention to the mattress, box spring, and crevices). I emptied the vacuum canister's contents into the kitchen sink, and looked through them, digging and spreading them around, finding nothing but dirt, small chips of wood (from the bed frame) and dog hair.

I am in law school, and cannot afford to hire an pest control professional at the moment, particularly if I don't have bedbugs. Based on what I have seen, though, I cannot be sure. I intend to bag the mattress and box spring (to suffocate/trap whatever bugs may or may not be living in them). In the meantime, though, my skin feels like it's crawling with bugs. I'm not sure how much of it is psychological, and I am on the verge of a panic attack.

If I had bed bugs, wouldn't I see them when I checked their common hiding places? I checked all the seems and edges of the mattress, and I ripped the gauze cover off of the bottom of the box spring and vacuumed everything. Should I have seen something?

Thank you so much for any help (and for reading through what likely seemed like the too-long, deranged ranting of a woman on the verge of losing it). I'm so stressed!

2. Devastated

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2012 9:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel the same way....I am going crazy!!!! I cannot find any bugs just bites on chest and back thats are now gone! I sprayed alcohol everywhere and encased my seemingly clean mattresss...no signs on sheets...I've even put ducttape all around my mattress one sticky side up and 2 sticky side down to keep tape smooth for bugs to walk on and I didn't catch a thing...I am living out of plastic bags and look like a damn tweeker because I am losing sleep and stressing so hard on this too...I figure if there is any piece of mind in this it'll come from staying clean and preventing a huge outbreak!!!
    Need to know but how???

3. bugsinbrooklyn13

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2012 17:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know how to tell you how - but after going nuts for months with bites and no evidence...and a roommate with no bites, we found the slow one that we knew we would find eventually...in the bathroom.

Maybe interceptors? I'm getting some of those for my new bed...along with pulling it away from the wall, no dust ruffle, etc...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,802 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991