Am I losing my mind?

(20 posts)
  1. CNJMatt

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 9:17:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and I must say I am learning alot being new to having bed bugs.

I'm sure my story is very much like everyone elses and that you all have heard these stores 1000 times but I was hoping someone could give me some insight.

Two weeks ago today actually, I discovered bites on my upper thigh...must have been about 20 of them. Being paranoid as I am, I immediately thought bed bugs. I have been paranoid for years that I'd get them, and then I do...of all people! I tore my bed apart and searched high and low and found nothing...Anyway, I called a PCO that same day to have a bed bug dog come out and search my house...The dog and handler arrived the next day and searched my house and lo and behold the dog indicated three spots in my house...I immediately scheduled heat treatment and two days later they came out and heated my house...then three days after that they dusted my outlets and sprayed my base boards.

Needless to say I have not seen any sign of bed bugs...I have even installed bed bug detecters in my office at work and haven't seen anything.

My concern is, like so many others on here, is that I keep getting itchy red spots, some slightly raised bumps that itch for a little bit and then basically disappear...Some have not disappeared, but really don't itch that much. Now my original bites were HORRIBLE...They were badly raised welts and itched intensely...They are still not even fully healed after two weeks, (although no raised welts, just a redish area remains). For a week now or more I have been earing sweat pants, socks, and a long sleeve t-shirt to bed. There is NO SIGN of any bed bug activity. The ODD thing is that these itchy spots are happening on the same leg...So far I haven't really gotten them anywhere else on my body.

I am taking many precautions...Park my car in the hot sun every day, dry my clothes every day when I come home from work, I've cancelled my cleaning lady and haven't had anyone in my house.

I can't imagine anything survived the heat treatment AND the dusting and spraying. My fear is that these are nymph bites, but again I've been wearing sweat pants, socks and long sleeve t-shirt to bed. I'm wondering if this could be a residual reaction to the horrible original bites...maybe stress, etc?? I know there is no real answer.

Anyway, I am thinking of hiring the dog again to come out before my 30 day warranty expires just to be safe. I feel like I'm losing my mind and I get so depressed. It wouldn't be so bad if it only cost 500 dollars or so to eradicate these bugs, but I've already spend $4000 dollars to kill something that I"VE NEVER EVEN SEEN!!!!! It's just crazy.

Any support anyone can give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Matt

2. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 9:28:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Matt,

I hate to say this, but I feel strongly that they should not have treated your home without producing physical evidence. Even with the help of a K9, physical evidence should be the next step (IMHO). Also, $4000?! How?!

As far as your current reactions... it is very possible that you are experiencing psychosomatic reactions due to stress and the trauma of having bedbugs. It is also possible (though I hate to say it) that you never had bedbugs and are reacting to something else altogether. Perhaps posting photos of what you are experiencing now could be helpful to us.

3. CNJMatt

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 9:45:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Brooklyn,

I tend to agree with you on them not treating without producing physical evidence. The PCO told me that I did not have an infestation but rather what they are now calling an "introduction" whereas the bugs entered my home relatively recently. He said that it was good I was catching it early. They offered me two options, chemical only (cheaper) or heat + chemical. I opted for the latter because of the success rate I've read about and the minimal amount of pre-preparation that is needed for heat.

The heat + chemical cost 2800 + tax, dog was 315.00, plus i purchased a packtite heater, and some other detection equipment. All in all I'd say it ranged around 4000 so far. Maybe I made a mistake but I just couldn't take a chance.

I will post some pictures if i can figure out how! they are on my cell phone.

Thanks for the information.

Matt

4. LVK9

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 9:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

CNJMatt, when the dog alerted to three areas did the handler do a visual inspection of those areas and found physical evidence of bed bugs.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 9:59:07
    #

Login to Send PM

k9 by bedbugwarrior, on Flickr

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 10:10:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi KQ,

You just caused me to coin the phrase "blind positive".

I have faith in a dogs ability to detect bedbugs by smell but I despair of some handlers inability to actually look for them once the dog has narrowed down the area. It is nothing short of lazy behavior, in fact a dog that is well trained will actually wait for the find to be confirmed before it is rewarded if it alerts for the right reasons (main wrong reason being that it wants a treat).

If you pay someone to do a job they should do the full job and not do less than half of what they are expected to do. It is really analogous to getting a PCO in to treat and them walking out once they have confirmed the infestation without doing any form of treatment and still charging you.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

PS Weather in Rome is amazing

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. CNJMatt

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 10:41:42
    #

Login to Send PM

LVK9 - 51 minutes ago  » 
    CNJMatt, when the dog alerted to three areas did the handler do a visual inspection of those areas and found physical evidence of bed bugs.

Hi LVK9,

After the dog indicated the spots, the inspector looked but could not find any physical evidence at all. The only evidence that ever existed was a black spot on my pillow case. (Because of my back I sleep with a pillow between my legs). That has been the only evidence that has ever been seen. Aside from that black spot, nothing has ever been seen.

8. LVK9

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 11:17:23
    #

Login to Send PM

CNJMatt, my problem with this is that an alert should = an area for visual inspection. If you were to hire a company that performs visual inspections and the same evidence was found (only one spot) would they offer you treatments? Hopefully not. If it was an "introduction" of bed bugs then I would have suggested passive or active monitors be employed. An "introduction: does not go from zero to infested over night, it takes some time. We use this time to gather physical evidence, if it is found only then should treatment be offered (IMO). Take the dog out of it, they should be utilized to help the handler quickly find areas that need a visual inspection.

9. peaches2dope

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 11:20:56
    #

Login to Send PM

i think you deffinately got rid of them. i wish i had money to do that kind of treatment. it sounds like a deffinate way to get rid of them. especially since it doesnt sound like u had much of an infestation

10. LVK9

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 11:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

peaches2dope, the problem with your comment is that we don't know what "them" is yet.

11. CNJMatt

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 11:36:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah you're probably right about all this. I didn't know what questions to ask or what to do at the time. I felt so vulnerable and disgusted that I was and am basically at their mercy. I'm starting to wonder how reputable this company really is even though they are a large regional company. Viking Pest Control (vikingpest.com)

I'm just disgusted by this whole ordeal as I KNOW everyone else is with theirs. I'm going to monitor the situation and see what happens.

I'm going to post some pictures of what I'm talking about to see what people think...I just CAN't Imagine that I'm being bitten after 1) this heat and chemical treatment, and 2) given the fact I've been wearing sweatpants, socks, and long sleeve shirt AS SOON as I get home and to bed as I'm trying to rule out mosquito and gnat bites.

I can see why this could obliterate someones sanity!

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 11:39:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you still have the pillow and the ability to take a picture of it please post it.

Blood spots on sheets are indicators of an issue but not regarded as confirming signs of bedbugs.

There is however another level of details you can deduce from the exact colour of the traces but its easier to look at see than spend half the evening typing the details.

In my mind there is nothing reported so far that would warrant or justify treatment of any kind. That is not to say it is not or was not bedbugs its too soon to draw a firm conclusion.

David

13. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 11:41:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Short answer - K9 that works for food & needs to find bugs in order to eat that day = Fail. Yes, we see them hit on vials of planted hides. Yes, we see them hit on a training wheel where there are bed bugs. Yes, a second back up team will hit the same spot the first did because the second dog knows where the first team was already ... blah blah blah Way too much that goes wrong that the person hiring the dog doesn't know.

It's not just the handler, it's not the best dog in the business. The problem is the METHOD, period. My dog sang the Star Spangled Banner this morning for some food!

I'm not dragging myself through glass here and I will not continue the conversation as it has been talked about a million times but why don't they offer food to any other sent detection teams outside of Bed Bugs? My K9 handling cop friends don't have pouches of food strapped to their belts.

14. CNJMatt

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 11:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is the link to photos of what I'm talking about:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80056712@N04/

As you can see the initial bites were horrible, but they got even worse after this picture was taken. The picture of my foot is what concerns me most however this reaction doesn't really itch and the red bumps you see are all MOSTLY at the hair folicle so I'm wondering if this is some kind of inflamed hair folicle issue. It does itch a little.

The other pic of my calve is itchy but there's not much to it. I have always had very sensitive skin and have always had tiny red bumps on my body.

I'm guessing theres no way of telling unless I get extremely itchy welts again. I can't believe that I would be getting bitten especially when I'm wearing thick socks and sweatpants as soon as I get home and to bed. I'm wearing this to prevent BB bites but also to rule out mosquito and gnat bites as well.

Maybe I'm just extremely paranoid...which I'm hoping is the case.

15. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 11:59:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, they don't look like bites and even if they were your place would be crawling with bugs. Meaning you would have most likely found them just lifting up the bed yourself.

David was asking for the picture of the spot on the pillow .... do you have that?

16. CNJMatt

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 12:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry, they don't look like bites and even if they were your place would be crawling with bugs. Meaning you would have most likely found them just lifting up the bed yourself.
    David was asking for the picture of the spot on the pillow .... do you have that?

Hi KillerQueen,

I think I can take a picture of my pillowcase but it's at home...I will have to take a picture of it later on.

So you think that my initial reaction were NOT BB bites? Could one BB have done that to my leg?

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 12:10:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I dont usually look at bites because as a general rule the appearance tell you nothing. However the quantity can tell a lot.

In this case the apparent quantity makes me think that if this not bedbugs because with that level of activity I would expect a significant number of bedbugs to be present.

If you have not been shown live samples, cast skins or confirmed faecal traces I doubt this is bedbugs.

Still not confirmatory but progressing rapidly towards extremely unlikely.

David

18. CNJMatt

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 12:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

This is all very interesting to me. I'm wondering if I was hoodwinked by this company. If not bed bugs I wonder what it could have been? The itching was SO intense and still itches from time to time although nothing like what I experienced at first.

Its funny because the PCO told me it was an "introduction" and not an infestation and I remember my cousin even saying to me that those bites couldn't have been done by just one BB. Do BB's usually feed in the same location as each other?

19. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 12:44:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you got more than an introduction, I would be looking for proof and if you find know its a tough lesson in confirming first and then treating.

David

20. BugsInTO

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2012 12:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - If you get the rash again, maybe also have it looked at by a doctor. I have read that you can't confirm bedbugs from bites, but sometimes things that look like bites can be something else. And, then the doctor can sometimes confirm the "something else." My thought is that your rash is way too many "bites" for one bedbug, and if you had enough bedbugs to deliver that many bites,. then they would not be so concentrated in one area. Good luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs