Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Am I in the Clear? How Long Before I Can Relax?

(9 posts)
  1. MuddaFrigginBedBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 8:57:36
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been 2 weeks since we moved out of our apartment. We opted to just pack up and leave entirely instead of treating because we beleived the problem was from an apartment below ours and the landlord refused to pay for either of us to be treated. The PCO wanted to fumigate and spray which we were advised against on here, so we just threw out all of our furniture, infested or not, and only took our clothes and the kids stuffed animals all of which we dried on high heat and bagged up in construction trash bags. We also took the kids toys, mostly plastic stuff, which we sprayed inside the bins as well as sprinkled DE all over. Then I packed my electronics (laptop, consoles, etc) and gave the bin a light spray and another spray over the top of them all as well. Anything else we took (like a few pairs of shoes I also bagged up, put DE in the bag, and shook it well.

We have technically been gone for 2 weeks, aside from going there once a week just to finish throwing away and clearing things out. I am petrified to open bins or bags despite having to for my own things like clothes. I am convinced we took them with us even though the PCO told us he believed it was a light infestation, and we rid ourselves of the 2 known "hot spots" which was our couch and bed, along with the rest of our stuff just to play it safe. I keep thinking they are in everything and everywhere. I have been waking up with constant panic attacks every morning and the entire situation has left me scarred, for what I feel may be for life.

I have also felt paranoid about bites. I noticed a few on my daughter the other day as well as one or two on myself a day after we had been outside and mosquitoes were clearly present, but I convinced myself that they were bed bugs despite my wife not being bit sleeping in the same spot as my daughter. I feel like there are things crawling on me because I first discovered one crawling on me during the day and now I have this constant feeling that they are on me or around me all the time.

My laptop is basically my prized possession (very expensive gaming laptop) and I have been horrified to even go near the bin it's in with my other electronics and gaming consoles. I want to use it so bad but I have convinced myself that there MUST be bed bugs in it because I had left in on the couch many times where we had seen a few bed bugs before we threw the couch away. I am basically frozen in time right now. I don't know how to move on from this.

We have been sleeping on couches (which I sprayed and also put DE under the cushions as a precaution) and haven't been getting bit, nor seeing signs of bed bugs, but I do still have things in "storage", albeit "treated" in the garage and downstairs and I have been petrified to start "settling in" because I'm afraid to open the flood gates again, or may have already somehow.

How long before I can start to relax? Most of the clothes and stuff we would wear have already been unpacked and we seem fine. We havent gotten to some of the other stuff like our electronics, shoes, and stuffed animals (all were "treated") but I am just so petrified to move on, so to speak.

Advice?

2. Pattycake

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 10:40:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Nuvan pest strips if you can get them. You can put them in your closed bins and be assured that your gaming equipment is being treated correctly. I think No pest strips have the same ingredients as Nuvan and may be easier to find in hardware stores. Nuvan is purchased on line. There are several utube videos to show how and where to use them. Good luck. I hope you don’t ever see one again.

3. MuddaFrigginBedBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 12:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Pattycake - 1 hour ago  » 
    Nuvan pest strips if you can get them. You can put them in your closed bins and be assured that your gaming equipment is being treated correctly. I think No pest strips have the same ingredients as Nuvan and may be easier to find in hardware stores. Nuvan is purchased on line. There are several utube videos to show how and where to use them. Good luck. I hope you don’t ever see one again.

I really want to but at this point I feel as though it might be futile as I have already had stuff stored or opened at some point and fear it may already be too late, not to mention my wife telling me I'm just being paranoid and we no longer have the money for more stuff after the hundreds we already spent.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 13:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to clarify, I think you’re the person who said their pest team wanted to use a coffee and spray and we advised that fogging isn’t a good solution for bed bugs. Is that you?

The respondent above is correct in implying that the bins may still have bed bugs in them. For future reference, sprinkling DE on possessions isn’t likely to do anything, and sprays vary but a contact killer will only kill bed bugs you see and hit directly.

If you’ve already started unpacking or opening the sealed stuff and feel it’s too late to use DDVP strips, then consider using passive bed bug monitors to detect the problem should it be present in the new home. Prompt, throrough treatment can mean it’s not a big deal. Early detection really helps. Waiting to see a bed bug is not a good plan for detection. There’s info on bed bug monitors as well as debugging methods in our FAQs and useful tools pages.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 14:47:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed, monitors would be very helpful at this point. I think the laptop is a low risk item, not the most hospitable environment for a bed bug.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 14:48:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Just curious, how did you go about disposing of your furniture?

7. MuddaFrigginBedBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 18:52:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 5 hours ago  » 
    Just to clarify, I think you’re the person who said their pest team wanted to use a coffee and spray and we advised that fogging isn’t a good solution for bed bugs. Is that you?
    The respondent above is correct in implying that the bins may still have bed bugs in them. For future reference, sprinkling DE on possessions isn’t likely to do anything, and sprays vary but a contact killer will only kill bed bugs you see and hit directly.
    If you’ve already started unpacking or opening the sealed stuff and feel it’s too late to use DDVP strips, then consider using passive bed bug monitors to detect the problem should it be present in the new home. Prompt, throrough treatment can mean it’s not a big deal. Early detection really helps. Waiting to see a bed bug is not a good plan for detection. There’s info on bed bug monitors as well as debugging methods in our FAQs and useful tools pages.

Yes, my PCO wanted to fog and spray which was advised against on this board so we cancelled the PCO completely and just opted to move instead. I do want to stress that we didn't take any furniture and it is likely that nothing we did take had them in it, but I'm still paranoid.

Much of what I've opened to this point has mostly been clothes that I'm fairly sure were dried on hot, high heat for well long enough to kill anything that was in them. I've also started rinsing off some toys in very very hot water but havent gotten around to doing them all yet. I worry that they can and will crawl out of the bins even though they seem pretty smooth on the inside.

8. MuddaFrigginBedBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 18:54:57
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 4 hours ago  » 
    Just curious, how did you go about disposing of your furniture?

Mostly all of it we simply smashed with a sledgehammer and disposed of it in construction trash bags. The rest that was too big we put curbside and tried our best to "ruin it" so that people would not be tempted to take it, nor did they. We made sure that it was all taken with bulk trash.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jun 15 2018 0:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Good work. I smash and slash and bag when I need to dispose of residents furniture that isn't worth saving.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,788 posts in 45,872 topics over 139 months by 20,200 of 21,005 members. Latest: Bed-Bug-Beyond, Greg7707, Krogerss