Am I ever safe?

(4 posts)
  1. TooOldForThis

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Feb 2 2019 8:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

First, thank you to the posters who took the time to come back and share their success stories. I am astounded at the emotional toll bed bugs can inflict. Over the holidays, we think that our son's girlfriend unknowingly brought some hitch-hikers to our single-family home. She was visiting her father, who had just finished cleaning out a property that he was "flipping." While staying with him, she began to experience welts on her right side. Her father had a "rash," but insists they were not from bed bugs She also had been staying with us a few days.

She and my son (he is staying with us during the week for a few months while he finishes a computer certification), immediately wash what she is wearing, bag up her clothing, take it back to the apartment 2 hours away, and wash and dry like crazy. Three days later we have the first of a series of pesticide treatments. They were thorough as far as I could tell because all furniture was turned upside down and sprayed as well as all baseboards.

The next week I have several bites and after 2 pesticide treatments I see a bed bug crawling next to me in the bed.
    We end up having a whole house heat treatment and follow the prep instructions -- I have an orderly home, but my husband's office does have some clutter. I have NONE. We have lived in our home almost 30 years and did end up thinning out our items by about a third. A satisfying side benefit!

I apologize if I win the award for the longest post on this forum.

We had the heat treatment a week ago. I am a naturally suspicious person, but the technician was very responsive and sent numerous texts during the day to let us know how things were going. He quickly hauled in about 10 heaters, special fans, and had wires running throughout the entire home, as well as canisters of the pesticide which he would spray around the perimeter. He really did act like he knew what he was doing. When my husband had to return to the house just five minutes after leaving to get another set of keys, he said the house was already Las Vegas hot. The technician texted me to say he had found 5 dead bugs in the master bedroom, but nothing anywhere else. We stayed away 12 hours and that night had to sleep with the windows open on a cold January night. The walls were still warm!
    It has been almost a week and no bites or sightings. We never had spots on our sheets or bed. We encased all the mattresses and boxsprings, except for the bottom of the adjustable bed in the master. That concerns me a bit, but I will discard the bed if necessary.

My son's girlfriend is working with the landlord to have her apartment inspected and treated if necessary. They have agreed that he will stay here until the place is cleared. She says he has no more bites.

It has been a week since our heat treatment How long before we can declare our home bug-free? I would love to hear other opinions about this.

2. Itsgoingtobefine

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Feb 3 2019 18:50:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for posting your story. The general rule here for being absolutely bedbug free is 60 days. Keep on monitoring, but for now, relax. It does sound like your PCO knew what they were doing. Good luck and keep us updated!

3. TooOldForThis

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 11:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Itsgoingtobefine for the information. It's only been a 8 days and I have chosen to view every day without a sighting or itchy patch a success!! Life is to be lived and I want to enjoy every day if I can.

I saw a bug once on my bedding at 3 a.m., and had about 5 bites total as far as I can tell. But sometimes when I read the stories about measures people are taking, I feel I might be too lax.

After the heat treatment in which the PCO says he found 5 dead bugs in the bedroom area only, I did/do the following:
    Washed linens and clothing that were not in closets. I did weed out many items that I could live without.
    Continue to wash/dry or just dry linens and sheets every day.
    Vacuumed all furniture/cushions.
    Continue to vacuum bedroom every day -- all other rooms every other day.
    Wear new night clothes to bed every night and change into my clean workout clothing every morning. Then change again to new clothing after my shower and workout.
    Keep my dirty clothing in plastic bags in the bathtub and wash them and put them away as soon as they are dry. I still spray our shoes every night with alcohol or put them in the dryer (kinda loud though!)
    Had my car steam cleaned this morning.
    Put encasements recommended by the PCO on all beds. The master bed is adjustable, so we couldn't on the bottom box.

Is there something I am missing?

Due to a long recovery from my badly sprained ankle, my husband had been sleeping in the guest room so as not to kick me! (Hey, we have been married 40 years so it's okay!) He has had no bites; nor have there been sightings or evidence from two different inspectors in any part of the house other than the master bedroom. My husband tries hard to keep his dirty clothing in a plastic locked bin but his enthusiasm is quickly fading. He checks the beds every night for me.

We did not get rid of furniture unlike many people here. I have invested time and money over the years into decorating my home and I am trusting the PCO to ensure I can keep the items I truly love. I did dispose of valances in the bedroom and comforter/pillows which I was not fond of anyway. Yesterday, we started enjoying all the rooms again.

I am hoping we are done, but I am not naive. My only question: Is 60 days the appropriate time frame for a follow-up inspection? I honestly cannot remember what the PCO said. Thanks again!

4. TooOldForThis

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 11:39:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I should have clarified that the bites and one-bug sighting was PRIOR to the heat treatment. Nothing since the heat treatment.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,541 posts in 47,911 topics over 148 months by 21,107 of 21,446 members. Latest: nyc-bedbugs, needhelp1111, urka1234