Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

A.m. bites with intense pain; can't find evidence of bbs. Advice?

(4 posts)
  1. alvinforty

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 19 2014 11:08:33
    #

Login to Send PM

In August of this year I began waking up feeling as though I had been bitten by something. Occasionally I would have a bump on the surface of my skin and it would itch, but mostly I had these very tender bumps that were subcutaneous. Since I seemed to wake up with new ones I started to suspect bed bugs. Occasionally I would see a blood smear on the sheet but then would always be able to trace that back to something other than bugs. I saw a tiny bit of black, charcoal-dust type stuff in the seam of my mattress, and a couple of tiny dark spots on my pillows. Nothing recently, though.

At first, many of these bumps were symmetrically located on my body. That made me feel less like it was bugs until I read that symmetry can be a quality of insect bites.

I have seen no cast skins and nothing on my sheets or bed other than what I described above.

Lately, I have been waking up with bumps that are more typical of insect bites (red bump). Usually they hurt and the pain goes deep into the tissue. I am also getting tiny red pinprick marks, especially on my left arm which is the most exposed part of my body when I sleep. There are also larger marks that look like cherry angiomas but if I look closely I can sometimes see what look like two puncture marks. They are appearing in twos and threes over my body. Sometimes I will feel a pricking sensation and one will appear on my skin right before my eyes. These are tiny marks but they are INCREDIBLY painful--kind of like someone punched me in that spot with a knuckle for about 10 minutes. I have a lot sore spots on my scalp as well.

These symptoms improve when I go to my partner's house.

I have been to doctors and no one really knows what's going on. The pain has been so intense that I've had to start taking Neurontin and Ibuprofen.

My question (finally) is this: If I have been having these symptoms since August, wouldn't I now be seeing some real evidence of bed bugs? Like marks on my sheets or mattress? Cast skins?

The fact that I wake up in pain from these things is causing me incredible stress, and I am afraid to go to bed at night. Which is bad, as I have narcolepsy and need all the rest I can get. They rarely itch.

So, does it sound like bbs to you all?

Thank you so much for any feedback.

2. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 19 2014 11:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Alvinforty,

First off, let me say how sorry I am for what you are experiencing. The marks/bites that you describe sound very painful indeed.

I would think that if you have been experiencing this since August you would have come across more evidence by now if they were from bed bugs. That leads me to think that what you have going on is something other than bed bugs. I don't know what the charcoal dust on your mattress would be from, but I can't recall ever hearing one of the pro's refer to bed bug evidence as looking like charcoal dust. Those are just my thoughts. I'm not a pro, and hopefully one will be along to help you out further.

If you haven't already, read the BED BUG FAQS. You'll see that listed in the black bar at the top of the page. It could help you with some of your questions.

Good luck and I hope you figure out what is causing you these painful marks and can remedy that situation!!

Butterfly1972

3. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 19 2014 13:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not think this is bed bug related

These are tiny marks but they are INCREDIBLY painful--kind of like someone punched me in that spot with a knuckle for about 10 minutes

I'd keep going the medical route, go see a dermatologist and tell them all the medication you are taking

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 19 2014 13:09:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please read the link below:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

There are several subtle factors beyond the lack of confirming signs of bedbugs that makes me think this is most likley a medical issue. I suspect you will get more information from a dermatologist doing an allergy panel test than for example a skin biopsy.

There is a good BMJ article from Jan 2013 which might be worth sharing with them.

The FAQs and useful tools sections are also worth a read with a particular focus on how to confirm bedbugs.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,319 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto