Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Alone and scared in Buenos Aires.

(8 posts)
  1. tkayolson

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 8:27:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure that I brought bed bugs in my luggage from the hostel that I stayed at when I first arrived in BA. I'm now at a friends apt (in BA) who is out of town and don't know what to do. I have all of our clothes bagged up and out on the balcony but have no idea as to where to get them washed. Are there pick up and delivery laundry services in the city? I know that home remedies very rarely work to eradicate these hellish things.... so I think that I am going to have to find an exterminator. I speak no Spanish and have very little money.... although I think I could get some help on that front if I had to. I worry about not being able to communicate with an exterminator as I know that in the States there are companies that are shady (esp. when it comes to bed bugs). I have read that there are certain things that you want to ask and certain things you should be looking for when you are trying to find an exterminator for bed bugs. Also... I feel like the hostel should be held responsible... but will I even be able to pursue anything as a tourist from the US? This is truly a nightmare and ruining my dream come true. Please....any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I haven't actually seen a BB...however... I worked at a hostel in the USA for 7 1/2 years and learned alot about BB's and their patterns. Plus I've been reading alot the last couple days in my frenzy. i.e. they usually feed from about 4am-5am (exactly when I got bit two nights ago) and they usually bite in line or circle patterns of three bites (I had two separate patterns of three bites on my right leg). So I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here. I had no bites last night but not sure if it was because the little fuckers where full from the night before, or because I covered myself and the bed legs with bug repellent as well as sprayed the whole bed and most of the apt with rubbing alcohol. It is a holiday today here in BA and instead of being out enjoying my time here on my very first trip abroad, I am stuck in this apt with everything torn apart and nowhere to turn. I am sleep deprived and half out of my mind. Plus my friend still doesn't know what is going on. I am horrified to tell him.

2. soretit

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 8:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

tkay.
    Hi.
    Sounds like a crap situ.
    You have my sympathies.
    Right.
    No or little money.
    Is it very hot and sunny where you are?
    Stupid question but try this.
    Go buy some black bin liners. Lots (20 or so).
    Put clothes in these, only a few in each and blow the bag up and then tie it up.
    Place in the hottest spot you can in the sun.
    Fry the buggers.
    Costs SFA and I have heard it might help.
    I stress I say might (not mite) help as I read this in a tip for people in hot countries.
    Hope its not raining!
    Also have you access to a micro wave?
    Reply if you do and I will go further.
    Keep smiling.
    There are people starving out there so we could be worse off.
    Good luck.

3. tkayolson

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 9:08:19
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for the reply. and yes things could definitely be worse. i keep myself sane only with this thought. it is just heading into summer here.... so it is warm (82 degrees today) but not sunny so far. Pretty overcast. I bagged my clothes last night in black trash bags and put them out on the balcony. I bagged my friends clothes this morning. So as of now all of our clothes are out on the balcony in black trash bags. It might not be hot enough out there though. I do not have access to a microwave, there is one washer and one dryer on the premises (its a 9 story apt. complex).... so that is an option... however the sheer number of clothes to dry is what's freaking me out. And if I do dry them to kill the bugs... then do I put the clothes back in bags and then outside again? Don't I risk infesting that clothes again if there are still BB's alive in the apt? Arghhhhhh..... I need help!!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 9:09:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Interestingly enough I was in BA in May this year speaking at the first south American bedbug meeting.

The issue has not struck down there as heavily as the US and EU but it is starting.

I do have a few names of pest controllers who are bi-lingual but that does not get around the issue of costs.

I would suggest that you sit down with a pot of coffee and start working through the FAQ's and stop using the repellants as the last thing you want is to spread the problem through the whole property.

If you do want to know some local names please PM me via this site and I will reply including their email addresses.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. soretit

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 9:28:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow.
    Oldtimer, my respect.
    My scepticism diminishes.
    Ok no microwave.
    I didnt realise there are two of you so double the No. of clothing.
    Right.
    Decide over your coffee what clothes you are going to need for the next couple of days .
    You are going have to make efforts to overcome so you need to reduce what you need to work hard on.
    Those clothes you choose are what you need to debug and the rest quarentine in bags that are securely fastened.
    Those chosen clothes you should iron.
    You got to use the tools to hand.
    Or use a hairdryer BUT beware hairdryers will easily burn your clothes and not only do they look like you crapped on them they will smell of burnt material and that burnt material will feel like a bug on your skin (increasing your paranoia) if you have to wear them again.
    So do a test sample.
    Be systematic.
    Pile those to be treated/ironed to your left and those done to your right (whatever)
    Have bags ready to place them in and only UNUSED BAGS.
    Dont use any black bag twice.
    They are cheap so put them in one bag to be burnt outside .
    Do not keep old black bags .
    They are possible hiding places.
    Always burn when used, if poss.
    Over.

6. bugdefcon

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 13:59:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, funny world. I recently had my first bed bug encounter in Argentina. Mendoza for me.

Take your clothes to a lavanderia, a laundromat. They have plenty in Buenos Aires. Most are drop off places. Most use dryers. If they do same day service, it will be with a dryer. You can tell when you walk in and see a big bank of dryers going. It'll cost about 20-25 pesos per load.

As for the bag situation. It's cheaper to to go a Dia than a Carre Four. You can get big ziplocks at Carre Four. Not at the express or market ones, you'll need to go to a big department store one. They'll be in the hardware section.

Let me know if you have any Buenos Aires questions. I've been there over 20 times. As for finding an exterminator. You really need to get a local to front for you. Argentina is one of those countries that has tiered pricing. One for locals, one for foreigners. You can save quite a bit if you're local.

7. tkayolson

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 16:12:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice!

8. soretit

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 18:45:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I couldnt think of a better way of spreading bedbugs than using a local laundromat.
    But what would I know.
    I am a newbie.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,692 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82