All the traces in a single pic

(14 posts)
  1. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 24 2011 7:43:29
    #

Login to Send PM

A new pic I took yesterday (yes, it was sunday and I worked all the afternoon... sigh)
    All the traces

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 24 2011 10:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Where was that in the house? Couch perhaps due to the fabric?

Jim

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 24 2011 10:41:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry to be a pedant but I cant see unhatched eggs and ureuic traces in the image. Aside from those the signs it does show are all well illustrated.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. Richard_Naylor

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 24 2011 10:56:53
    #

Login to Send PM

That image has excellent clarity. You can easily distinguish the infertile collapsed eggs from the hatched ones.

I was just browsing you gallery EffeCi, and noticed this one of a nymph feeding:
    http://www.pest2000.it/images/BBneanmultifeed.jpg

It is really interesting because it appears that the nymph's gut has ruptured into it's haemolymph, causing the head and thorax to turn red. Do you happen to recall if it survived?

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 24 2011 14:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

@David
    Damn... you're right, but I was referring to your Holy List of Signes , in which it's said simply "eggs" and ureic spots are not mentioned... ;-P

@Richard
    I guess you give a different name to every single BB... lol
    No, I don't remember. I got the pictures 2 years ago and my colony (before starting tests with dry steam) was about 300...

That image has excellent clarity.

Thank you. I'm trying to become familiar with my new camera and I'm very happy of first results. It's wonderful to hold again in hand a good reflex with macro lens....

6. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 1:51:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow EffecI,
    The pix are incredible. You can really see detail. Thanks for posting them. Is all of that from two bbs?

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 9:04:57
    #

Login to Send PM

@ EffeCi - Sorry I clearly have been spending too much time in NY with the master of BB detail. When I saw "all the trace signs" I anticipated eggs hatched and recently laid, all nymphs 1 through adult and a matching set of cast skins and a range of different faecal and ureic signs.

Its a great shot though no doubt about it, much like one I took a few years ago where you can clearly see the return to refugia habits, I have often been able to catch 2 or 3 repeat cast skins in one small location but never the whole range in one spot.

Looking forward to more int he future.

David

8. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 9:23:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I clearly have been spending too much time in NY with the master of BB detail.

Envy...

I have often been able to catch 2 or 3 repeat cast skins in one small location but never the whole range in one spot.

I dit it ...
    all skins

When I saw "all the trace signs" I anticipated eggs hatched and recently laid, all nymphs 1 through adult and a matching set of cast skins and a range of different faecal and ureic signs.

I'll try to do better in future...

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 13:08:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard,
    I've come across all red nymphs, too, and they were very much alive. Maybe if ruptures occur, they are easily repaired so as not to cause continued leaking. Some anthocorid bugs are red, too, in the nymph stages.
    EffeCi,
    Yes, a clear and crisp picture, but I was going to point out the pale droppings are missing, too, but David beat me to it. And egg shells (minus operculum) and collapsed eggs also present, but no intact ones still around. I've got to try more shots with my new setup, too. I have some close ups of nymph exuviae to illustrate the dorsal scent gland remnants that are not present in the adult.
    Going to a meeting in NJ Thursday and Friday and then next week to DC for the EPA meetings.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. tforms1

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 17:50:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok.
    Can someone help translate some of the items on the picture, theres 3 things Im not sure about:

All the black stuff on top - I assume thats part of the fabric, and has nothing to do with BBs?

Whats all that black tar like stuff?
    Look on the bottom-middle of the picture, and all around the lower right area.

What about the stuff that looks like dirt?
    Look at the BB on the upper-left...then travel downwards, you'll see 2 brown spots (dirt-like) then the eggs. This is on the left side.
    Is that just dirt or something from the BBs?

11. soscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 23:58:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Are ureic spots the ones that are light amber or yellow? Not in this picture, but in bed bug feces pictures in general, such as the one Richard Naylor posted yesterday? Thank you.

12. MyWorstFear

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 26 2011 0:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I never realized they pee and well as poop! I'd love to blow that photo up and have it as a screen saver on my husband's laptop. Maybe that would make him think twice about where he uses his laptop!

I also want to know what those black tar looking 3-D things are in the photo. What are all the grey things?

Thank you for posting it.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 26 2011 9:42:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Light droppings are uric acid or what's been called ureic spots (nitrogenous waste.). If you look at an unfed first instar nymph, the pale material is there to be voided even before feeding on blood occurs.

14. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 26 2011 9:47:33
    #

Login to Send PM

What are all the grey things?

What about the stuff that looks like dirt?

Old faecal spots... they turn from shiny black to matt grey in weeks...

Are ureic spots the ones that are light amber or yellow?

They may be white, light yellow or, sometimes, really light orange.

All the black stuff on top - I assume thats part of the fabric, and has nothing to do with BBs?

Correct, it's simply a black fabric.

Whats all that black tar like stuff?

BBs faecals.

Well... here is my second try... I took this pic yesterday morning (the woman that sent me a "4 in the morning SMS")

all trace pic 2

(I'm not sure that pics contains ALL traces, for worse it's another good didactic one ;-))

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox