Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

All NYC denizens raise your hand

(43 posts)
  1. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 16:40:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm curious which posters live in one of the 5 boros and also in those for whom it is an easy commute. Please say what borough (or town.) I don't know why I want to know yet. I PM with people who I think are like in Nebraska and find out that way that we are neighbors...

I live in Manhattan. (Don't hold it against me. I'd rather live on a farm or the like.)

2. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 16:51:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn representin'!

And yes, I'm super-connected, transit-wise, and thank GOD those subway seats are 100% genuine plastic!

Easy walk to A express (4 stops from Manhattan), C, LIRR, as well as the G train and the Franklin Ave. shuttle subway train to Prospect Pk (so yes, I can get ALL around my bug-infested Brooklyn, for those of you who are like, what the hell is the G train? Or the Franklin S? Like, does that go to Grand Central?)

A shout out to my Brooklyn peeps!

3. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 18:25:13
    #

Login to Send PM

flushing in da' houzzzzzz

i don't go out much...as little as i can...only to court and back and in a hurry..first case to be called and back home as soon as humanly possible.

and i drive...if i can't get where i'm going by car, i don't go.

4. brooke_lynne

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 20:35:45
    #

Login to Send PM

W-burg represent! Graham ave on the L

High-five, reluctant entomologist

5. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 20:51:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Woo hoo! It's the Bed(bug)ford Ave. junction!

That's where my ex-hubby lived when we were dating -- before he got the idea to convince me to buy a house with him, fill it full of hipsters and bbs, and then leave me holding the bag! Ha!

I wonder if Caffe Capri is still there. If so, I bet all those Frank Sinatra photos and all those other tchotchke are totally crawling, man...

6. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 22:33:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Prospect/borderline of Crown Heights in da house! (Throws arms in the air like she doesn't care!)

All the hipsters from Billyburg that are raising families are moving over here. And gentrification is furiously apace. All the delis have started improving on their quality of beer and frou-frou chips.

In many ways I am both happy and sad. The nabe is becoming a little less affordable for us but is turning into everything I had dreamed it would. We would be able to stay once my husband went back to work -- he's a stay at home dad right now -- but the building we live in and the school district we are in are really not ideal for us.

Sadly this bed bug thing turned out to be the nail in the coffin for us. I just don't feel like this is home for me any more.

Oh, and subway-wise: doesn't get easier that the 2, 3, 4, 5 and Franklin Av shuttle which I can get at Franklin Avenue. On my way home, I get off (2/3 only) at Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum.

L

(P.S. I'm formally from Manhattan: 1989 - 2002 and the South South Bronx: 1971 - 1989. Never had any bed bug problems there although the waterbugs in Manhattan nearly did in my sanity.)

7. sluggums

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 16:40:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Sunset Park here! 3 months after I moved here, I found them in my bed. Motherf'ers! 2 days after I threw my bed out, there was the most disgusting bb spotted mattress out front from the house next door, LOOSE, just covered in feces and black spots around the edges. Made me ill to look at it. That house has serious garbage control issues, anyway. I know BBs will move in whether you're clean or sloppy, but I question those peoples ability to get rid of them, as they are super gross and random, broken garbage is always in the front yard. I wonder if they wandered over, as I'm in the garden apt right next door.

That being said, After my place got sprayed liberally with Phantom, I went mediaeval on those things! Sprayed 91% alcohol, steamed all furniture, washed and dried everything for 60 minutes then stored it in Ikea zipped plastic bags, caulked every crack I could find. I dusted with freshwater DE, which also killed the waterbugs in the basement. {yay!} I vacuumed thoroughly every day for two weeks, still do every day. I was never so happy that I own a Dyson with it's incredible sucking power.

I have not seen any evidence whatsoever, or been bitten since, it' been about a month. Have been sleeping on the sofa, which was also sprayed. Have found dead fleas {4 pets, 2 that go outside}, a beetle or two, some other random bugs, but no BBs, casings or feces. Consider myself extremely lucky, and feel I caught it early. I DID have them, I saw them myself on my bed, there's no mistake. BTW, who did you guys use? I used NewYorkBedBugDogs, and have mixed feelings about the service, but I can't complain, not getting bitten. They treated the whole house, and were pretty expensive.

Edited to add: If they didn't come from my neighbors, I think they might have come from the B61, a very dirty bus. I have been bitten on that bus before by something, and do NOT sit down on it anymore. Luckily my daily commute is not that long.

8. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 17:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Wonderful. I was born in Brooklyn and now I am never going back.

The rest of you--come out-come out--wherever you are! Don't be acting like no bed bugs!

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 0:41:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Secret location in the 5 boroughs...

West of KillerQueenistan and south of LouSorkinville. That's all I'm saying.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 7:25:33
    #

Login to Send PM

OZ and not the Dr. also known as NY, SE of Strawberry Fields

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 8:11:02
    #

Login to Send PM

North of M&M, south of Freedom, east of Royal and west of BB&B.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  12. sb710

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 10:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Fort Greene en la casa!

13. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 11:24:32
    #

Login to Send PM

You all are scaring me. I thought I'd been acting mysterious enough, but now I'm afraid I'll have to go into a witness protection program.

14. zomgbbs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 14:47:05
    #

Login to Send PM

i'm in clinton hill, and can frequently be seen suspiciously scanning seats on the g train for any signs of buggy danger...

15. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 15:40:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 14 hours ago  » 
    Secret location in the 5 boroughs...
    West of KillerQueenistan and south of LouSorkinville. That's all I'm saying.

Wonderful!!!!

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 0:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle, I was ripping off my favorite New Yorker cover.

17. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 0:34:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 8 minutes ago  » 

OMG. Was that cover not brilliant? I remember it very well. Next fave was the cigarette smokers standing on the ledges of tall commercial buildings.

But I really logged in to say that your coordinates place you on Myrtle & Wycoff Avenues. But not to worry, I won't tell anybody which corner.

18. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 0:47:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Bushvick

19. nate.gray

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 1:53:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I am also on the graham stop of the L... my first two weeks of being a brooklynite, and I've already got bedbugs... i'm acclimating quicker than I had expected I would. Damn brooklyn. I want to love it so much, but I'm losing my mind.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 8:06:55
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn's latest post rescued from spam. Scroll up three spots to read.

21. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 12:57:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Manhattan's west side representing! (Impressed with my ability to type AND flash a "W" gang sign with my hand.)
    HOLLA!
    I walk to work, but take the subway all over after work.

22. bb_gave_me_ocd

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 13:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

South side of Prospect Park, here. Although at any point I could finally snap and flee to a cabin in Montana.

23. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 18:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Brooklynites: There will be a 10 pm role call to see if you are all at home. Then we are going to torch the bridges. Have a nice day.

24. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 18:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

"They sent a carrier up from Norfolk and picked the Yankees up for free. They said that Queens could stay, they blew The Bronx away and sank Manhattan out at sea."
    Miami 2017, by Billy Joel

25. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 18:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been in Bed sick for the last 4 days. I don't even know where I am at this point.

26. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 19:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 19 hours ago  » 

I just love the New Yorker covers and cartoons...

Here's my favorite map cover from the New Yorker (okay, now i'm showing my age -- Yipes 1976!!! Seems just like yesterday...ouch)
    http://bigthink.com/ideas/21121

And here's my favorite New Yorker cartoon:

http://www.cartoonbank.com/1993/no-thursdays-out-how-about-never-is-never-good-for-you/invt/107277/

27. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 19:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ...feel better soon...whaddaya have? something with a really wierd cough? Hope your better half has a nice pot of chicken soup with plenty of savory broth on for you! Keep us posted on how you're doing.

28. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 21:44:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, there are all KINDS of "bugs" going around right now.

Hey, wasn't it also Billy Joel who said something like "I walked through Bedford-Stuyvesant alone"? Ha! That's me.

BTW, I KNEW nycyn had some sinister reason for starting this survey! See if I leave the Packtite to you in my will now, lady!

29. bait

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 22:41:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Jackson Heights, and lovin' it.
    Bait

30. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 0:45:39
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 6 hours ago  » 
    "They sent a carrier up from Norfolk and picked the Yankees up for free. They said that Queens could stay, they blew The Bronx away and sank Manhattan out at sea."

Once upon a time I lived in Staten Island. For years and years I would quip that we should cut the cables and let it float out to sea. Now I wanna go back. I wanna go almost anywhere else lately.

31. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 2:14:37
    #

Login to Send PM

bb_gave_me_ocd - 12 hours ago  » 
    South side of Prospect Park, here. Although at any point I could finally snap and flee to a cabin in Montana.

Maybe you don't mean a log cabin. Maybe you mean a modern cabin with no cracks or crevices!

Ugh! Imagine how awful it would be to de-bug a log cabin! Not that you would ever move bed bugs, bb_gave_me_ocd. But they're everywhere after all.

One of our former members is in the remote wilds of British Columbia, and bed bugs are thriving there. Only difference is, fewer very experienced people to find and kill them.

Now if your cabin will have a self-treating, full-cabin sauna function, I will probably plead with you to take me with you!

32. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 20:55:38
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 1 day ago  » 
    KQ...feel better soon...whaddaya have? something with a really wierd cough? Hope your better half has a nice pot of chicken soup with plenty of savory broth on for you! Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Thanks DB!

The wife doesn't have time to cook for me. Not with all the work I have her doing around the house, now that I get to see first hand how the better half live.

So I have her cleaning the trucks, the yard, steam cleaning the grill. I may have her organize the attic, steam the carpets, and paint the hallways in the house this weekend.

As for me ~ Doctor and Xray's tell me - pneumonia ... yeah!

33. controlfreak

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 21:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear that KQ. Hope you will take it easy, follow drs orders and get better soon.

34. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 23:40:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Feel better, Killer Queen!

Lots of rest!

35. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 23:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah well at least he doesn't have bed bugs.

36. bb_gave_me_ocd

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 11:24:37
    #

Login to Send PM

"Ugh! Imagine how awful it would be to de-bug a log cabin! "
    Yeah, but if I got them in a cabin in Montana I wouldn't have to worry as much about spreading them to others...I don't even respond to bites anyway, but if I get them again in NYC I'm terrified of being Typhoid Mary.

KQ, I'm so sorry to hear you're sick! Take it easy and I hope you get better soon.

37. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 0:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I just read the Billy Joel lyrics. I guess the songs about gentrification. Lets just say that down the road apiece I was living on East 7th Street--Avenues C & D. One fine summer afternoon I was heading west. In the middle of 7th Street between Avenue B and Avenue C stood this old hippie dude. He was standing underneath a banner that he'd strung from the 4th floor fire escape on the south side of 7th street to the fire escape on the north side. The banner read STOP GENTRIFICATION NOW! I stopped and read the banner. I asked the guy what gentrification meant. And he went on to tell me this whole spiel about The Helmsley's and la da de da.......and I rounded on him and continued west. I'll never forget that day.
    I also remember seeing that New Yorker Magazine Cover in the subway while waiting on the platform for the 6 train. I thought it was cool. I thought the Camel smoker on forty second street was really cool too. Grew up on Ninth Avenue. Been livin on another Avenue for a good while now. It really really sucks....just lika bedbug. But somewhere in the smokescreen of my mind I hear echoes of "....boys and girls together, me and Mamie O'Roarke. Skip the light fantastic on the sidewalks of New YorK.

I hope I don't end up in Bedford Hills~or worser...Bellvue!

38. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 0:16:21
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen, get well soon cuz we all love you and your kind wife too. Killer, don't work that nice lady too hard. And do not go near that nassau county hospital in east meadow over by the county jail, okay?

39. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 4:35:51
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsuptown this entire thread including the part about KQ being sick is from *October 2010*

40. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 10:18:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Well thank God for that. jrbtnyc appreciate your information..............why'd everyone run a whole lotta old threads last nite? Don't worry about it...........you know I'm a little buggy--between the ears.

41. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 1 2011 9:39:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Can this thread be revived with common sense inserts re-bedbugs to keep it relevant. I like hearing about the All NYC denizens raise your hand And it's relevant on certain locations on 2nd Avenue.
    with all the endless f*n digging the MTA continues to do. This zipcode is the bugzone.

42. soretit

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 1 2011 11:01:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol.
    I learnt more about NYC than any guide book from this thread.
    This thread should be preserved in Aspic.
    At least give him credit for allowing us youngsters the chance to enjoy it afresh.
    But I get both sides of the argument.
    Outahere.

43. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 1 2011 22:50:25
    #

Login to Send PM

yo soretit, cmon' back young'n. Tell any denizens of NEw yOrK still standing--since, hmm, a years gone by--tell any buggers hanging around for live aid and laughs whatever den you come from over in the UK,
    copy that.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982