Aggressive nymph behavior

(25 posts)
  1. sleepinginthetub

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 1:10:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I picked up bed bugs somewhere probably last May, and contacted a PCO that proved to be disastrous. Heat & chemical treatments did not work in my old house full of wood with lots of cracks. My technician, who I found out later, was new and had never had a bed bug case. He quit, and they gave me a more experienced technician who advised tenting. I had them fumigate, but it didn't work, and lots of eggs hatched in my kitchen, with very aggressive nymphs.
    They have no problem getting into my clothing, they hide in my cat's fur, they attack all times of day (although they are much worse after the sun goes down). I have to totally bundle up and hangout in the bathroom with a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol in order to eat my dinner and work on my laptop.
    I poofed a layer of diatomaceous earth over the kitchen, but it did nothing to kill them. It helped keep them down, but whenever I vacuumed, they roared back into action. They are extremely clingy and do not come up in the vacuum. In fact, I have a hard time getting them off my body in the shower.
    The diatomaceous earth was making me depressed because it is so messy and bad to breathe, so I bought CimeXa and have been putting it in the cracks in the flooring and covering the cracks with masking tape. Removing the diatomaceous earth has made the nymphs go ballistic.
    I'm thinking of disposing of the rug in the kitchen and covering the floor with sheet plastic, which they wouldn't be able to hide in. I'd put CimeXa underneath. Is this a good plan?

Are ordinary bed bug nymphs normally this aggressive, or do I have special devil bed bug nymphs? And has anyone had the experience of bed bugs that have survived fumigation being more aggressive and stealthy as a result?

2. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 3:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

So your PCO id'd them as bed bugs?

Can you take a picture of one please?

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 3:50:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I´m so sorry you´re going through this. I havent any advice, I just read your post and I feel for your situation. My infestation is low, and I am using Cimexa, but Ive had them before and it was a nightmare due to all wooden floorboards. The chemicals have probably spread them out through the house. Can you vacate for a few days and leave a few CO2 traps? And get some of them? Cimexa all around the traps? I really like this guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/joelzwilliams
    Good luck.

4. SalsaVince

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 11:48:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I am kind of thinking the same thing that thirdusername asked. Some of the characteristics that you are describing are very unusual for bed bugs such as hanging out in the kitchen where you would normally not be spending a lot of time resting, clinging to your body even in the shower, and hanging out on the cat's fur. I know that failed treatments can cause them to act differently but that usually involves traveling into places that they normally wouldn't be. I have never heard of an experience where they turned into superbugs that aggressively latched onto people's skin. If you are dealing with bed bugs, you can be assured that they are pretty consistent in their behaviors and that behavior can be used against them to eliminate them. But you have to be sure that they are in fact bed bugs before you can treat, especially considering some of the traits that you have described.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  5. sleepinginthetub

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Nov 22 2018 3:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I wish I had a macro lens, since the camera on my phone does not suffice. I can submit one picture that shows one of the nymphs that had been feeding on my cat and then ran into some Cimexa that I had recently applied on the windowsill near her. There were two of these blood streaks on the window sill by the sink where she drinks.
    https://imgur.com/a/hruvVFw

I watched the video you linked to, Sleepless2. Thank you for the encouragement. I've made a couple of traps and set them up in my bedroom. Still haven't caught anything in them. Maybe the room is too cool for the yeast to work up enough CO2. I can't sleep in my house anymore. However, I'm quite concerned about spreading these nymphs, because they are so aggressively getting into my clothing, and all the bites on my body make me feel like my skin is crawling. I just bought a Packtite, but it doesn't come anywhere close to addressing the problem. I just bought a steamer, too- a Vapamore 100, which I hope will help, and I am diligently cleaning up the diatomaceous earth and carefully applying Cimexa.

I'm covered in tiny bites, especially on my back and shoulder blades/neck area, but also behind my legs, on my ankles and feet. I tuck my pants into my socks, but unless I am wearing a thick fleece sock, the nymphs are crawling through the weave and biting me. I must have hundreds of hungry nymphs in the house, and I'm terrified of them becoming adults and breeding more. I'm staying in a hotel now, and I'm trying to find a place for my cat. I put her on Frontline Plus- I hope the fipronid will help and kill any bedbugs that try to feed on her.

I feel especially debased by this: I found a nymph latched on my leg, put a piece of scotch tape on it, pried it off with an exacto-knife (because it clung so tightly to my skin) and took it to the new PCO. They said that someone would get back to me with an ID the next day. They called me and told me it was a "human scab".
    Then I found two more nestled in a paper towel (unused, I had just pulled it off the roll). I sprayed some alcohol on them, cut them out and taped them to white card stock. One of them managed to pull the fibers of the paper towel over itself to hide, but the other one was pretty visible under my 40X magnifier. I took the card to the County Ag office for ID (instead of the PCO this time), and the entomologist told me it was a piece of skin. When I pointed out the legs, she said they were fibers, but then when I mentioned all the bites I was getting, she said it might be a spider mite.
    This is so frustrating.

6. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Nov 23 2018 0:16:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm out of my mind .. ..its like you are talking about my situation here Why on earth they are being so aggressive and attack during any time ??

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Nov 23 2018 6:57:16
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepinginthetub & Iwantmylifeback: The issue is not bed bugs. You're obsessed over skin reactions. There is no aggressive nymph behavior.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Nov 23 2018 10:03:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Loubugs .With all due respects but i have to disagree. Ihave been attacked numerous times .One time I have stepped out of the shower ..(after my first professional treatment have been done) and suddenly i felt pinch burning sensation on my leg andcsee the bloody streaks ..it literally freaked me out bc i wasny able to see anything. It bit right where the vein was .Another time I was sitting on the sofa and same reaction .I felt the actual bite.My reaction on my back looks like a red strikes but on my ankles look like a little tiny red dot also the bites looks like a scratches or a tiny cuts . 2 professional treatment I had for sure made population down .But I still have them . I myself spray every 2 weeks with some solutions .So far I used Zenprox mixed with Gentrol ,Temprix mixed also with Gentrol .Tomorrow I will use Cross fire with it .I bagged clothing from the dresser in the bedroom when back in September i found the nest .There were like sitting on the metal trucks of the drawers .Also under the nighttable glass found fecals .My books from the bedroom are bagged with DE and Nuvan Strips .I found one live back in the beginning of October crawling from under an oven in the kitchen..sprinked some Cimexa over it ..it has avoided it ..i have even sprinkle on the top of that and it still was moving .I assume Cimexa doesnt kill it on the spot ? It takes a while ,right ? Thank you for that website it helped me a LOT .I dont give up.Icwould have use heating treatment but I live in 500 units building and my spouse doesn't want to get an attention. And since he has no reaction he is in denial we still have them .I dont seem them lately but I am still bitten so I am by myself fighting them .Steaming ,vacuuming..double encasements on my box springs and matress .Got rid of one sofa .I have transferred sofa from the guest room to the leavingvroom no but my husband used to sleep on it so Iam not sure maybe they are inside that sofa as well .Now we sleep together though in the bedroom. Sorry about my english (itsca second language) Thank you all .Thank you SalsaVince for encouraging and giving hope .Iam so tired mentally wirh this war Iam fighting since July but who knows for how long they have been around ..i think maybe I dismissed their presence till i saw one crawling on my bed in early July .Best regards to all fighting them .Good luck

9. Ash225

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Nov 23 2018 12:16:21
    #

Login to Send PM

This sounds HORRIFYING. I get a couple bites per week and im super worried. Omg is my issue going to turn into this?!

Can you post a pic of one of these bugs?

10. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Nov 23 2018 13:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes ..i have some pics of the bug and the bugs biting .. Will try to post them later .Also yes old biting may show delayed reaction .I have experienced that as well .The wax you have been using Ash may trigger that reaction .Stay strong .Iam in NYC ..contact me in PM ..I may give you some info ...I cant use that bc of my hubby denial to deal with the problem so I do what I can by myself to erodicate them .

11. sleepinginthetub

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Nov 26 2018 21:25:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I visited a friend today who can image from a microscope. We took some pictures.
    The bugs turned brown- I'm not sure if that means they are dead.
    <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/poLYOKf"><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hope this works- fingers crossed!
    The legs are very long on these guys. It explains how they are able to climb into my clothing and bite me so easily, and cling to things. They bite like bed bugs.

12. sleepinginthetub

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Nov 26 2018 21:32:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is more of a close up.
    I hope someone can id the bug from these.
    https://imgur.com/0abu2er

13. sleepinginthetub

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Nov 26 2018 21:35:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Let me try again on posting the images:
    https://imgur.com/a/poLYOKf

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Nov 26 2018 21:39:52
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepinginthetub - 12 minutes ago  » 
    I visited a friend today who can image from a microscope. We took some pictures.
    The bugs turned brown- I'm not sure if that means they are dead.
    Hope this works- fingers crossed!
    The legs are very long on these guys. It explains how they are able to climb into my clothing and bite me so easily, and cling to things. They bite like bed bugs.
    Here is more of a close up.
    I hope someone can id the bug from these.
    Let me try again on posting the images:

Clear pictures. Flattened fibers that might get caught on you and cause a bite-like reaction.

15. sleepinginthetub

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 1:45:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, I guess you think I'm a kook, but those are bugs, and they are biting me, on the back of my neck, on the back of my legs, on my back, on my arms, etc. They are biting me during the day. I cannot sleep in my house at night. It is too much for me. And yes, they are biting my cat, too.

Here is a picture to show the scale.
    https://imgur.com/a/bZxXWM3

16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 11 months ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 6:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepinginthetub - 4 hours ago  » 
    Lou, I guess you think I'm a kook, but those are bugs, and they are biting me, on the back of my neck, on the back of my legs, on my back, on my arms, etc. They are biting me during the day. I cannot sleep in my house at night. It is too much for me. And yes, they are biting my cat, too.
    Here is a picture to show the scale.

No, I don't think you are a kook. They are not bugs, but you are experiencing bite-like reactions to/from something, but these objects are not real bugs. Close-up pictures showed this. You are attributing bites to something that you find and these are tiny and "bug-like".

17. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 14:01:56
    #

Login to Send PM

yeh that´s definately NOT a bed bug.
    Also, long legs for clinging, definately not bedbugs.
    This doesn´t mean that you don´t have them of course. Just that you have not captured one.
    But if all the things that bite you are like this picture, then this is not an insect problem you have.
    I hope you´re pleased, if only my situation were so simple.

18. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 15:45:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless2 - 1 hour ago  » 
    yeh that´s definately NOT a bed bug.
    Also, long legs for clinging, definately not bedbugs.
    This doesn´t mean that you don´t have them of course. Just that you have not captured one.
    But if all the things that bite you are like this picture, then this is not an insect problem you have.
    I hope you´re pleased, if only my situation were so simple.

No, I'd have to say that this would mean that bed bugs aren't the issue, no sense confusing things further.
    Using that logic it could be tigers.

19. Leila

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 24 2018 18:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 24 2018 19:38:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The samples are 100% not bed bugs.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  21. Leila

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 25 2018 1:10:57
    #

Login to Send PM

ok maybe check chiggers - lice- flea bites- mites? That could explain the bites..? Difficult dealing with nymphs i confirm!!! Vikane treatment left me with eggs and nyphms never saw them but yep the bites!! Little fuckers!

22. Leila

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 25 2018 1:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have a good picture of a double bite on you ? Fighting near to invisible nymphs how are we not supposed to go crazy on that! Do you also get bigger bites from big one?

23. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 25 2018 9:10:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Leila - 7 hours ago  » 
    ok maybe check chiggers - lice- flea bites- mites? That could explain the bites..? Difficult dealing with nymphs i confirm!!! Vikane treatment left me with eggs and nyphms never saw them but yep the bites!! Little fuckers!
    Do you have a good picture of a double bite on you ? Fighting near to invisible nymphs how are we not supposed to go crazy on that! Do you also get bigger bites from big one?

You're attributing the problem to what you think should be the cause in this case with absolutely no evidence. So, no, those arthropods aren't the cause for sleepinginthetub's issues.

24. Rick_C123

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Dec 28 2018 13:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Is your tub or shower made of fiberglass? Maybe there is an unglazed area where the glas fibers ar pricking you and making blood spots and itches?.

25. Rick_C123

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Dec 28 2018 13:37:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Is your tub or shower made of fiberglass? Maybe there is an unglazed area where the glass fibers are pricking you and making blood spots and itches?.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,635 posts in 50,004 topics over 154 months by 21,866 of 22,347 members. Latest: gingerstelpa, jaa5108, fightingback