Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

After three years and no bugs_ Theyre Back!!

(6 posts)
  1. rovianne

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 4:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I cannot believe this is happening again! Almost three years ago I spotted a single bedbug in my condo in Chicago. I studied, learned everything I could, talked to the experts here including one call on the phone with Killerqueen who really talked me off the ledge. I will never forget what he said when I was freaking out despite having Climbups- matress covers- and every other thing I could think of to protect myself from my possible infestation. I had read that they could climb up the walls to the ceiling and then drop on to you from above if there was no other available route to your bed. KQ simply said, "Ok they're bugs, Not Navy Seals!!" It was one of the few times someone made me laugh during that initial panic phase.
    So anyway I had professional inspections stayed vigalent washed, vaccumed, checked myself for bites constantly, and crossed my fingers. I messed my back up pretty good with all the bagging and lifting and have struggled with chronic back problems ever since but gladly almost three years later never another bug or bite spotted. I left tons of my clothes and stuff in those ziploc bags even to this day. Partly due to never feeling out of the woods. I live in a large highrise and was told there was a unit that was infested on another floor so I figured Id better not let my guard down. At that time my condo mgmnt wasnt all that well versed and in my opinion was not handling the known infestation as well as they should have so I have always been cautious.
    So anyway fast forward to Friday night this week. I work nights so it was about 5Am and I was getting ready to go to bed. I had been lying in bed and sat up(lights still on) so I could go brush my teeth and such. Out f f the corner of my eye I see somethng scurry across the sheet. I grab it in a paper towel and throw it in a ziplock bag. Now I have also had grain and carpet beetles at times in this apt so I still had a small bit of hope but something in the pit of my stomach told me what it was. I closed my eyes and prayed for it to please be something -anything other that what I thought. But I knew and I was right. A bedbug. Again. Three years later. After crying for awhile and pinching myself in the hopes it was just a nightmare and I would wake up, I grabbed the ziplocks and started bagging. Sheets pillows comforter. Checked materss covers- Nada. Box spring cover bed frame-nothing. However there was a crack in two of my Climbups. Guess I wasnt vigalent enough with those. So a few hours later my building engineer comes in and I go to talk (and boderline cry) to him. I have lived in this building for many years and have a good relationship with him. So he tells me theres a problem on the third floor with an infestation and the guy is not complying with what hes being asked to due. Oh and that hes mentally challenged. GREAT!!! Hard enough for someone whose not mentally challenged to properly deal with these things. I notice in his office that he has climb up interceptors and he also tells me we have a seperate company (not our usual weekly people) dealing with the problem and he will have them call me to set up an appointment for an inspection. I am glad of that part because our regualar company has no clue how to deal with bed bugs. I learned that last time. However that also tells me there is a bigger problem in the building than he is admitting.
    I just cant believe that I have to do this all again. It sucks and even though I only found one bug( I totally get that I probably sound ridiculous to those of you that have much worse) before it still took a huge toll on me emotionally and physically not to mention financially to make sure it was only one and didn't become an infestation.
    I am so mad that I have a potential problem again. Also that the building is not informing anyone of the problem. How is a 30 story 250 unit building going to beat something like this when no one even knows theres a problem. Most people have no clue what to look for and wont catch an infestation till its full blown. I have to figure out the right channels to try and get that changed but I know the condo board probably wants to keep it hush hush. So far it seems to be on the lower floors with the studio and one bedroom apartments. Perhaps when it hits the milllion dollar units on the high floors things will change. I am so upset and feeling defeated and so anxiety ridden again. Back to jumping at every peice of lint. Please everyone pray for me that it is a single bug again and that I caught it in time. I can't imagine that I could be that lucky twice though. I have new climbups installed and am bagging and vaccuming my heart out. Hopefully will be inspected in a couple days. Will update then, thanks for listening. I hate that I will never feel free of these.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 5:23:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

First of all its important to understand that they are not back, the break is simply too long for it to be the same colony of bedbugs.

It is more likley that you have come back into a source of bedbugs.

The things you bought were not preventative of bedbugs, the only things that can do that are you and a PackTite. Yes bedbugs are not navy seals they are insects but I can assure you that they are capable of dropping down from the ceiling when a bed is isolated but generally they are present in more significant numbers than 1's and 2's before they do such things.

In this case I would say it is most likley that you have once again come into contact with a source which has made it home with you. The only other option is adjoining neighbours but that can be addressed through communication of the facts with them.

Yes bedbugs are unpleasant but having survived it once you should be int he best position to do so again as you will not have to climb the same steep learning curve.

I hope that helps keep things in perspective.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 9:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll still stand by my Navy Seals statement despite what others on the site believe.

Sorry to hear you're dealing with this again. Best of luck to you and I hope you find a quick resolve.

4. rovianne

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 10:04:51
    #

Login to Send PM

So question- When you mention the packtite, Do you think that is something that I should use regardless of whether any other bedbugs are found? As a preventative measure? I have looked into them but Im not really sure what items to use it on if Im not finding bugs ( or Hopefully not finding bugs Fingers crossed). Do you just put anything and everything in there as a precaution or mostly use it when an infestation is definitely present? I wondered if I should get one the last time but wasn't too clear.
    I did figure that it was not the same bugs from three years ago especially since I got huge welts from the bites last time and havent had any for years.
    Also while I have your ears- If an infestation is not found- (Ill have more questions if there is one)
    Since there seems to be an issue in my building, is there anything you can think of that I should be doing as prevention of a future infestation in my unit since there is a known problem in this building and I have had an issue twice now. I just do not handle the anxiety of this well. The constant need to check under my bed for monsters so to speak.
    Also thanks for the well wishes KQ and for making me laugh when I was on the verge of losing it.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 12:55:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You said preventative when in fact avoidance and PackTite are the only 2 preventative technologies. By this i specifically mean if you avoid bedbugs when you travel you don't get bedbugs, if you don't take avoidance steps then PackTiting you luggage is the next line of defence.

If you have bedbugs then using one can avoid the long term bagging as items can be quickly and efficiently decontaminated avoiding the stress and anxiety that often follows with living out of bags.

With regards the stealth attack method I have seen it with my own eyes, its not common but its feasible and usually occurs through long term infestations or through the use of bed isolation. If you look at the number of people who report that bedbugs get past tape, Vaseline, interceptor devices and bowls of oil to still bite people in bed you will realise that they can do it, I am not saying they always do it but the reality is that they can.

However to reduce the risk of you getting bedbugs from someone else int he building is quite simple. If you use the FAQ's from this site or the information sheets on http://www.bedbugbeware.com then you can educate them. If you are able to reach out and create a bubble of awareness around you then you effectively have a barrier 1 unit deep around your unit. This means that the bedbugs would need to get through that in order to get to you.

Outside of that using passives for early detection and concentrating any rogue bedbugs that you may be exposed to through work or social will also help.

I would also suggest that if you are going to isolate your bed use bedmoats which are a better design and don't crack, however both designs require maintenance every 2 weeks to clean out and re-talc.

Hope that explains.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly confirm my vested interest in the passive technology as the inventor

6. bedbugsuptown

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 11 2012 1:39:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello-
    I've visited the forums only periodically since my infestation ended in the latter part of 20ll. For no reason in particular other than some time on my hands I've been posting again. (Recently posted my success story at the urging of Nobugs.)

What I find interesting here is that David stresses the need for communication and education among our peers, as the best tool available to prevent future infestations. Whether it's family or friend and in my opinion, particularly when it comes to neighboring apartment dwellers communication is key.

Recently a new couple moved into the apt. across the hall from me. I met them briefly in the hall and it was evident that they are not a couple but room mates. 2 apparently nice out going young people. A guy and a girl(quite attractive, the girl.) As mentioned, I've been posting again. Nothing profound, I share what I can with what I've learned and try to inject my posts with a little humor.

A few days ago, inserting my key into the apartment door I heard the television going in the apartment
    next door. I had noticed that the female neighbor seemed to get around quite a bit. In a small building you notice this kind of thing. In any event I made an impulsive decision to knock on the door, the hour was about 10 pm. The male of this duo answered the door. We didn't have a long conversation but I mentioned the fact that I head a bed bug infestation a year ago. I told him that my infestation was in all probability the result of a trip my daughter took to San Juan. I asked him if he'd ever encountered bed begs-negative, but he'd read a little about them in the papers. I told him my intention was not to alarm him but rather to tell him that if he ever thought or suspected that they had bed bugs to please feel free to knock on my door. I never said anything about our inept land lord, just a suggestion that should they ever feel a sense of alarm I'm only across the hall and to please let me know. The conversation was brief and I apologized for the disturbance(he was in his pj's watching the TV) He said thanks, not at all. Again, impulsively; I mentioned--you know, Christie does get around a lot, to which he gave a smile and a nod, then laughed in agreement.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs