After months, one lone dead headless bug

(4 posts)
  1. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Mar 20 2018 9:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Found bedbugs July 2017 and immediately started treatment. Got treatment 3 times, and the last time they also treated my horrible neighbors' apartment because turns out, that's where they came from. My infestation was always relatively small, and once they found the source (after they evicted the tenants), they doused that bad boy.

After all that, I hadn't been finding bugs anymore but couldn't stand to stay, so I moved out at the end of September. I threw out all the furniture in my bedroom, my couch, etc. and put the rest of my stuff into storage while I looked for a new place. Also carefully checked everything I was keeping -- coffee table, a book case, not much else aside from decor (also checked).

I moved in mid November 2017 into the upstairs of a duplex house. Also crazy careful when moving back in to check everything. I bought most things new -- couch, mattress, bed frame, dressers, dining room table...

I have not had a problem in the ~4 or 5 months. I check the place regularly -- sweeping and inspecting dust for signs, checking the bed (I bought one without a box spring so it would be easier -- I have a mattress encasement on that is spotless white, climb up interceptors under the legs that have never seen more than a spec of lint), checking the couch as much as I can (can't lift it up exactly as I'm just one lady). But yeah, nothing. Nada. Absolutely clear and fine.

I just started to feel comfortable. Still vigilant, but comfortable. I have one of those IKEA cube shelves in front of my mounted TV in my living room, and last night, noticed some lint on it that I meant to clean up and throw out. I went to do just that and found a dead, headless, legless, very thin and round body of one of these monsters.

I obviously got freaked out and checked all over the house for the next two hours -- still nothing. No other signs. Nothing in the interceptors, nothing in the dirt when I sweep, nothing on the couch, nothing on the bed -- not even a damn stain of any kind.

The living room is pretty far from the bedroom, and this was just tangled in lint, on a shelf with no upholstery or anything in sight, on the complete opposite wall of the couch.

What do I do? I am obviously going to keep checking -- I have an unopened passive monitor I never managed to set up in the old apartment that I plan on installing tonight, and bought some cimexa that's arriving Thursday to dust in the climb ups just to be extra safe.

Is this just a fluke? My logical brain says yes -- it's entirely possible that this dead dried up demon corpse is just a remnant of horrors past, but I'm still freaking out.

2. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Mar 20 2018 9:25:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Found bedbugs July 2017 and immediately started treatment. Got treatment 3 times, and the last time they also treated my horrible neighbors' apartment because turns out, that's where they came from. My infestation was always relatively small, and once they found the source (after they evicted the tenants), they doused that bad boy.

After all that, I hadn't been finding bugs anymore but couldn't stand to stay, so I moved out at the end of September. I threw out all the furniture in my bedroom, my couch, etc. and put the rest of my stuff into storage while I looked for a new place. Also carefully checked everything I was keeping -- coffee table, a book case, not much else aside from decor (also checked).

I moved in mid November 2017 into the upstairs of a duplex house. Also crazy careful when moving back in to check everything. I bought most things new -- couch, mattress, bed frame, dressers, dining room table...

I have not had a problem in the ~4 or 5 months. I check the place regularly -- sweeping and inspecting dust for signs, checking the bed (I bought one without a box spring so it would be easier -- I have a mattress encasement on that is spotless white, climb up interceptors under the legs that have never seen more than a spec of lint), checking the couch as much as I can (can't lift it up exactly as I'm just one lady). But yeah, nothing. Nada. Absolutely clear and fine.

I just started to feel comfortable. Still vigilant, but comfortable. I have one of those IKEA cube shelves in front of my mounted TV in my living room, and last night, noticed some lint on it that I meant to clean up and throw out. I went to do just that and found a dead, headless, legless, very thin and round body of one of these monsters.

I obviously got freaked out and checked all over the house for the next two hours -- still nothing. No other signs. Nothing in the interceptors, nothing in the dirt when I sweep, nothing on the couch, nothing on the bed -- not even a damn stain of any kind.

The living room is pretty far from the bedroom, and this was just tangled in lint, on a shelf with no upholstery or anything in sight, on the complete opposite wall of the couch.

What do I do? I am obviously going to keep checking -- I have an unopened passive monitor I never managed to set up in the old apartment that I plan on installing tonight, and bought some cimexa that's arriving Thursday to dust in the climb ups just to be extra safe.

Is this just a fluke? My logical brain says yes -- it's entirely possible that this dead dried up demon corpse is just a remnant of horrors past, but I'm still freaking out.

Oh, yeah. No bites - and I do react to them. Had some lovely welts on my back this past summer But yeah, nothing now! I check regularly for those, too.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Mar 20 2018 11:57:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like just a remnant.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Mar 20 2018 12:24:53
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Sounds like just a remnant.

Best reassurance I could get. Thanks.
    Will keep inspecting, but this helps put me at ease.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,650 posts in 49,307 topics over 152 months by 21,609 of 22,034 members. Latest: Evertking, Thissucksformyson, Winniewillow