Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

After 3 months of tourture. If had it do all over. A better idea. New York City

(18 posts)
  1. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 17:26:39
    #

Login to Send PM

After 3 months of this touture. Fighting with evrybody. A wreak. Getting rid of most everything, i worked had to build a life with.
    I have spent sooo much money and now i am moving , still in a panic and pretyy much wiped out my savings.

WHY not suggest, when your LL is not doing the proper, Tired of the sleepless nights and you have to leave to gain some sanity.

I would have found a new apt.
    Had the dogs sniff it to make sure its clear.
    Vikane my stuff in a uhaul and that would be THE END.
    Right. Cost about 1200, for the vikane and uhaul.
    nOt months of hell and probably 8000 in belongings all the endless plastic and chemicals.
    Months of this.
    Is this not a better suggestion.

2. DeathToBBs

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 18:46:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Beautiful suggestion. Only problem is that you CAN get reinfested again and your suggestion is just a temporary fix to a permanent problem. Not your fault, by any means. Just the way things are at the moment.

How many times are people going to move before there are no more places to run or move to.

3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 19:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree that we can get reinfested, but I believe people here--from what we've been through--would be very quick to recognize it when a reinfestation occurs and we would hopefully catch a reinfestation early enough to make subsequent treatment more effective. The people I'm worried about are the people who are NOT here--the ones who don't believe us, feel we are exaggerating, feel that the problem is not as bad as we say, feel that there is no need for an overall bedbug policy and plan, whether for an apartment building, an office, a city, or a state.

If everyone were alert to the problem of bedbugs, maybe as they are alert to issues such as recycling, a difference could be made. We are learning from each other. I marvel at what I've learned on this forum here. I am a better bedbug warrior now. Thanks nobugs and all of you for this forum. We are the cutting edge.

(I'd love to move to a single family, or to a buidling that had bedbug dogs investigate every unit every month the way some hotels do).

4. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 19:14:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I am going to give New York one more year. I have too. Then I am finding someplace that it snows and is cold enought to kill these bb for at least 1 week of cold weather a year, so , There is some kind of control. Looks like we have to be on the constant war path and maybe ignorance is bliss. Because no one else is freaking out it seems and they should be. Every ones like they will be killed, its over. It doesn't look like it going to ever be over, as long as you live in this city.
    I guess I have a bug phobia. xanax does help..

5. DeathToBBs

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 20:37:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I was waiting on line and behind me on line was a woman talking to her friend about typical NYC vermin: rats, roaches, etc. When the topic of bbs came about she told her friend about how her neighborhood doesn't have that problem (when in fact I know it does) and how can people be so dirty and not clean and get bbs that way. It's still so amazing for me to see and hear how many people still do not know about much about bbs.

6. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 20:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Most of us know exactly what you mean when you say "bug phobia".

But I must tell you, the cold weather you talk about is not a magic bullet. Where I live in Canada, we have -20 Celsius, and even -30 celsius (that's -4 F and -22 F to you), for weeks at a time, but the bugs love it in the warm house. This year when it got cold, I put my things outside in bags without insulating too much, and most of them are still there in the bags, in the rain. Molding maybe (sigh). Maybe I'll leave them there until Next March.

I'm hoping that at least 90% of the politicians here and everywhere get the bugs, then maybe they will vote a lot of money towards research and and safe eradication. So the scientists (where are they?) make a little toy bedroom with a toy sleeping man and woman. These breathe carbon dioxide into the little room, then a whiff of deadly gas. Place these all over the rooms, go on a holiday. It's done!!!!! (Just thought I would throw that in.)

7. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat May 24 2008 15:05:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites 44 I love that idea of the toy people breathing CO2 then following it up with a deadly gas. I myself like to fantasize about little nano-robot bugs that you can let loose in your home and they go and kill all the bed bugs and eggs. But of course we've all seen enough science fiction movies to know that nano-robots would eventually get consciousness and go after the humans who made and enslaved them to do their bidding.

8. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun May 25 2008 1:17:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Mangycur, I envision two outcomes to your sci-fi scenario:

1) The nano-robots exact their revenge on humans by locking us all in bedbug-infested buildings without treatment; or

2) The nano-robots gain consciousness and get so freaked out by the bedbugs that it fries their mental circuitry and they all die.

9. TomIsBugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun May 25 2008 2:51:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Y'know what, I was really relieved to hear that I wasn't the only one harbouring a nano-robot fantasy...

I'd figured they could mount little "Bug-cams" on 'em, wired w/Bluetooth, so that you could watch your Nano-scourge take down the bugs in real-time. Maybe they could even market the bots w/a Pantera CD and a bottle of Vodka - you cld totally get hammered while you watch the bugs run like scared lemmings into bubbling pit of Bedlam or something like that. Maybe they could make it all like Command & Conquer...

Sorry 'bout all that... I think I've lost it. At any rate, you're all probably right about the Nano's eventually subjugating us. If it could happen on StarTrek, well.. Shit- here's a nightmare scenario: the Bugs somehow co-opt the technology & become some kind of sick Borg-like techno-PVC-covered-GermanIndustrialHardRock mega-bug...

Anyways, I'm going back to the liquor cabinet... Fight on, folks - fight on

10. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun May 25 2008 7:57:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Seriously now, if someone wanted to leave the state and start over.
    Why not encourage getting out of this city bb free.
    Vikane your stuff and get the heck out of NYC city.

I encourage people to Vikane there stuff and get the heck out of here. That is what i would suggest to any friend. Wht live in this hell, if you don't have to.No where is infested like NEW YORK

I got rid of everything and spent much more than the cost of Vikane treatment and lived 3 months of hell.
    Only New York do you have the chance that every new apartment is also infested.
    I did not realize this in the beginning, because it is exactly what I would have done. Instead in a mind of chaos, I have signed my life away for another year. I wish I could claim temporary insanity.

11. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun May 25 2008 8:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Prayforamiricle, I totally agree based on our experience. We lost a huge amount of valuable, irreplaceable items, much loved "wubbies" of my children. Between professional treatments, self help supplements, and valuables/furniture lost, hotel stays during treatments, car rentals, vet stays... we were in it for $28k before our vikane treatment. When/if we ever get bed bugs again, no matter if infestation small or large, I would not feel comfortable unless we had our home and vehicles fumigated again. Yes, largely expensive, but is a fraction on what we had gone through and lost in the 6 months of treatments and no success. After living with out a couch for a year, I'm now really starting to miss it. Not so much for me, but to snuggle up with the kids. The HW floor and coffee table is just not the same.
    Personally I feel with the growth of this epidemic, vikane, since it's the most sure way to rid them right now, (when done correctly), more and more people will be going that route and will eventually bring down the cost. Down south, where they commonly use it for drywood termites in structures, it is much much less expensive. Granted the 3x amount keeps prices up a little, but not by too much. After speaking to fumigation companies, the prices are already starting to get competitive.
    That being said, even with vikane structural treatment, huge precautions much be taken as of exposing everything for treatment, and when leaving the structure to ensure you don't take anything with you and when you return. This is up to the consumer, not the fumigation company.

12. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon May 26 2008 19:41:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Today, I am getting the limestone up and organizing for the bbd og to sniff my stuff before i move.
    I make a point to look into the basement below me where a very nice man lives and is the one who sorts throught the garbage. I saw him earlier today bringing in more stuff from off the street. I see he has an entire junk collection down there. They had bb 3 floors abouve me only pco one, and probaly a bomb. I had to raise holly hell to get them to do the proper pco and called in the bb dogs to prove i ws not making it up. We don't see any, they did not even look, I watched the hired by my ll pco glance at the mattresses that's it. They said i planebted the bug and i was crazy. The pco ws very abusive. i got rid of all my hard earned belongings and have been 3 months oin hell. My roommates were moving and i did not trust to get new roomates and live here. No pco in any other part of the building. My landlord says we pco once and its over. I am so angry because i am having to leave , spent all my savings to relocate and possibly bring one with me. I feel like someone should be sued for negilence. I leased another over my head apt bymyself and if i have them when i get in my new place, i will be going throught more hell and exspence. It is just not right. They rented the upsta]irs apt that haad the bb in a flash.I know his lease was not up.
    And with allk that garbage in the basement below me. The landlord is not very caring to secure his buliding. This is hell.
    I say make them Vikane your stuff and get the hell out...If it happens again. Vikane again and move out of this INFESTED STATE of New York.

13. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 28 2008 19:51:22
    #

Login to Send PM

How would this work? I live in NY, am moving to Seattle in a month and just found bedbugs today... This would seem like a solution for me... details?

My game plan as it is now is to quarantine my clothes, move everything I don't need for the next month (post-quarantine) to my family's place upstate. Dump everything that can't be quarantined. Shower at my buddy's gym on the last day I'm in town, throw away a set of gym clothes, change into a final quarantined outfit and take the train upstate. However, if I could fumigate everything I have that would make my life a lot simpler (though I still think I'll do the final gym quarantine move either way).

If I were to do this... welll... how? What precautions would I take? Who would do this? Is there anyone in NYC? Please let me know.

14. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 28 2008 20:12:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You do realize that the quarantine for bb's is 18 months,right?You had better check out the FAQ's,my friend.Whatever you do,do not move infested stuff to your parent's house!They will not appreciate you sharing your bugs.

15. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 28 2008 20:16:45
    #

Login to Send PM

No, I meant quarantine in the sense of using three plastic bags for transporting clean materials (clothes out of the dryer, dishes our of the dishwasher) That's all. I apologize for misusing the jargon.

That said, do you have any advice re: Vikane on all my possessions? Will that work? Is that a pipe dream? If it might work how would one go about accomplishing it?

16. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 28 2008 20:36:06
    #

Login to Send PM

07wsf,
    Look around on the site. i do not know all the details, cost . I saw some where it was like 1200 or less for the truck to Vikane , you stuff. Look around. I just know that it is away to make sure they are killed, with out getting rid of everything. Other wise, I'd get rid or everything and move with the sterile clothes. Vikane can't be down in this apt building on top of one another and no sence to do it and then bring back in a infested apt. Check that DOw site i here people talk about. Don't move your stuff to your family...
    Either get rid of it and start over and pay for the Vikane. Its what is worth it to you. But this is no messing around. I am sure when a person moves fron New York , in the very near future to another city, they will think... Eek, no thanks...
    keep asking questions.

17. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 0:04:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane is not available everywhere - and not everyone can afford it. I asked my PCO this week, and they hadn't even heard of it. I don't think it's even available in Canada. You do what you can, and what you can afford, and treat the best way you know how. And hopefully, you win the battle. I wanted to visit New York once, now I'm not sure after this.

18. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 3:41:09
    #

Login to Send PM

07wsf - As Gypsy says, Vikane is not available everywhere and not where I live. In the New York City area, however, you can find it though you may have to do some searching. In your case, you would be talking about commodity fumigation. I think to be successful in this, do not try to save everything you own. Cull down to the most important things. If you do that, I think this would be the most expedient option for you.

> Shower at my buddy's gym on the last day I'm in town, throw away a set of gym clothes, change into a final quarantined outfit...

Yes, I believe this is the way to make your "getaway." It's what I did, with a bit more paranoid neurosis. Don't forget fresh shoes, etc.

As ever, Good Luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams