Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Advice?? Will they bite when you active/moving around?

(9 posts)
  1. BBHysteria

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 9:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Will bb bite when you are active/moving around/doing something? I was cleaning, dusting, on the floor wiping down base boards Monday. Had some pillows that were covered in pet hair and dusty lining the floor underneath my bedroom window. I got a garbage bag and put them in there to throw away. But I was on the floor, moving around, cleaning. It was evening and had finally stopped raining so I took the garbage bag with the pillows outside to the trash can. About 40 minutes later, I feel intense itching... check my legs and have 6 bites on the right, all around the ankle - and yes, 3 of them in a *perfectly* straight line almost touching each other even though I know that is not a guarantee of bb bites. And then 4 on the other leg, lower shin, 3 of those in a line spaced almost an exact 3 inches apart.

Again, this was 40 minutes after coming in from wet grass while taking the trash out so clearly mosquito bites are an option.

But, that took less than 60 seconds (so 10 mosquito bites in less than 60 seconds?????) and there is the distinct line and all of the bites are perfectly symmetrical red cirles, every bite looks identical to the others - same color, same size, same shape, which is not the norm with mosquito bites. Will a bb bite when you're moving around doing things? Is it *feasible* that I could have received 10 bb bites on my shins/ankles while cleaning baseboards and disposing of those pillows? Opinions? Thoughts? (an additional note - I am 6 nights clean with passive monitor, but if they are hanging out elsewhere in my bedroom like across the room around the baseboards that could explain why.)

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 9:32:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Unless you have a serious super-sized infestation they will not feed from someone while they are moving around. They prefer to hide and come out to feed when someone is stationary.

Now its possible that you were bitten earlier and they only came up later and thus appear to be associated with moving around but something you should not discount is that other issues are more likley to occur when you are up and moving such as carpet beetle hair allergies.

The best and fastest way to rule that one out is no shoes and socks in the home for a few days to remove the static differential.

Its also a strong indication that its not bedbugs to have 60 bites and a clear Passive Monitor.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. BBHysteria

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 10:31:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Only 10 bites David!!! I would be in a full blown incapacitating meltdown if 60! I could hyperventilate just thinking about that!!!!! It's 10 bites around my ankles. So it's 10 bites and 6 nights clear passive monitor which I'm guessing is *not* such a strong indication of no bb's. I have found carpet beetle larvae and couple of dead adults in my room. Just have no idea what the reaction to that looks like. And googling images is unreliable. You basically get the same exact images regardless of the bite type you google.

Another question I'm curious about and I know you will know the answer to!!! How long does it usually take a bb to feed/fill up. Do they just stick their little nozzle in and zzzzzip! Done! Or does it take them a couple of minutes? I mean just an average of course of what you have found in your research.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 10:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry slip of the eyes there. 10 is still a lot to have a clear Passive Monitor though but I have always stuck to the 20+ bites and a clear Passive is unlikely to be bedbugs.

Yes Google images are not always accurate and what is written about bites tends to be even less reliable. I can however assure you that the skin reactions documented in my PDF on the subject are genuine but as they closely resemble what most people think of as bedbug bites it just reinforces the fact that bite diagnostic is a fools mission.

The time is takes for a bedbug feed to feed to full depends on two factors:

• The flow rate of the blood they are feeding on
    • The age and thus capacity of the bedbug

It can be between 3 minutes for a hungry 1st instar through to 15 minutes for an adult but as I said they prefer to wait till you are stationary before coming out to feed.

David

5. BBHysteria

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 11:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Total mystery. No way was I stationary for even 3 minutes. Just located another bite on the back of my thigh, right up from the knee, literally less than 10 minutes ago. Don't know if it's been there since Monday or if it is new. I thought I checked back there but maybe I missed it. But even that one looks, again, EXACTLY like the others, same size, same color, perfect circular shape. At this point I have no idea. That's 11 bites now (or 12), all on ankles/legs. But I was not stationary for even 3 minutes. Or 2 minutes. I was scooting along the floor, cleaning the baseboards. Can't see that bb's could have given me 11 bites without me sitting still. And with regards to getting them at some point earlier and having them show up later, they all showed up at the same time, I think they would have shown up one at one point, then another, then another, not all immediately together. I have no idea what did this. That is the frustration.

6. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 11:46:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like it could be fleas. They are nasty little buggers, and can bite fast. I have been bitten on the ankles by fleas in the past. Back in the old days, we didn't have the flea meds we do now, and they were a battle every summer. Thank God for the progress they've made now. But yeah...could be fleas, and some people react worse than others, so check into that.

S

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 11:52:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BBHysteria,

Please read the green sticky on bites to see why:

• Something else could be causing this (most likley fleas or CB's)
    • The role of the environment can determine when skin reactions appear

I appreciate that for your perspective focusing on skin reactions makes sense but from my experience it is akin to assuming the weather today can be used to predict the weather on this day in 10 years time.

Its all about the confirming signs and that does not include bites.

David

8. BBHysteria

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 14:15:31
    #

Login to Send PM

David, always the voice of reason! What is the green sticky that I need to read??

Through your advice and other research on this site, I have come to understand more clearly that bites cannot confirm bed bugs. But, on the other hand, I think, bed bugs do bite. And to have 12 bites appear at one time just is so odd. I've never had that happen before. Today, two of my co-workers, separately and independently, said "what bit you???? those don't look like mosquito bites!!!" Of course they have no idea of my suspicions but that is the worst thing someone could say to me. And both of them said it. One very innocently said "those are strange looking bites and look, they're in rows of three, that's weird!!!" I felt my stomach knot up and my heart sink.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 15:23:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi.

At the top of the forum there are important foundation posts called stickies that are highlighted in green, they cover all sorts of subjects but one is my 5000th post on bites and skin responses:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

It used to be that medical professional felt they could ID but time and data has proven they can't. One academic tried to present data that showed be could buy frankly some academics should listen to their students more and chase the cash less.

Sadly this is one of the few accurate websites and forums which is why we hang out to help people. It's also why professionals in the bedbug field have the most extensive and accurate websites but again they are few and far between.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123