(11 posts)
  1. MovedtoInfestedroom

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 10:13:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I would like some advice on what to do. Trying to stay in the realm of reasonable and not paranoid.

I'm an expat and I just moved into a tiny studio room last week. Didn't have a chance to unpack other than everyday essentials while I cleaned up the place after work and was looking forward to setting it up over the weekend. Started getting mysterious bites during the week tried looking for evidence of BB on the mattress without success and talked to the landlord on sat.

He saw the bites and was convinced that it was BB immediately. While I went out to get clear garbage bags to isolate my things, he got someone to help him take down the curtains (high ceiling) dragged the mattress out into the hallway. And sprayed with some store BB killer sprayy the top surface of the 2 drawer boxes which makes up the base of the bed (lots of places to hide mainly made of wood and fabric) No signs on the top there. Probably didn't do anything than possibly dispersing the bugs. That spray probably only works on direct contact.

He said to bag everything and he would call in the pest control company. I quarantine everything in bags and shower and change when I get in before sitting down and don't leave anything on surfaces without a sealed bag. Quarantine lock down mode.

They were willing to pay for the pest control and new bed furniture, although convinced that I had brought them with me. Which I think is highly unlikely as the place I lived before was brand new, I didn't have any bites. And I had 2 or more bites per night which means there are more than one of them.

While it's good he's being responsible for the bill of those and taking action quickly, he doesn't seem knowledgeable about how to deal with BB. it's a tight multi-room row of buildings which they take care of all the rooms. I don't think the neighbours were informed.

So yesterday, the pest control company arrives and I was hoping they were professional and knew what they were dealing with. I called the landlord to get a bit of detail of how they were handling the situation. They were there for about 30 mins. The landlord and the person at the company said they looked and found nothing. Regardless they spray everything. I later called the technician from the pest control company and found out they have used some type of residual spray and have went over like crack crevices etc. and it kills everything, bugs eggs etc. They think it's probably a false alarm and ensured me that there's no bugs anywhere and the problem has been resolved. No mention of even a follow up application after eggs hatch.

New furniture has been put in the room with the plastic covering right away. I check around the room and I find a bug corpse which I have taped up and identified is definitely a BB. So at least I know for sure it's not some other phantom problem.
    I also spot the old potentially infested furniture just outside the main door on the curb (about a room and a hallway away from where I am) No sign or covering.

I am inclined to think that they didn't really check for BB but just pulled out the old bed put it on the curb, sprayed everywhere (except kitchen and table surface etc) and decided everything was all magically fixed, without even mentioning how to deal with my belongings. And their magical insecticide can kill everything, but it's safe for me to cook, eat and sleep in the room the same day.

I haven't even unwrapped the new furniture because it'll likely just get reinfected in time. Although there seems to be holes in corners, where people grabbed it etc So not sure if that will do anything.

There's a wooden chair and a full length mirror in a wooden frame that's really wobbly that all could be potential hiding spots for BB doesn't look like they were treated.
    Both within a foot to the bed. The walls to the neighbour are also really thin, he's already asked me to turn down the TV vol when it was set at 10. So they could have hidden there or just strolled next door for now etc.

I'm still in quarantine lockdown mode, showering twice a day when I get in and leave and absolutely everything in seal bags.

Am I being paranoid in thinking that their treatment will likely reduce the numbers for now and probably will increase again in a few weeks? Didn't notice any new bites last night, but couldn't really sleep anyways.

I'm an expat, and will have to hop on a plane in a bit over half a year, so I won't have time to wait and see if the problem has been solved or not, before potentially spreading BB to planes or a different country.
    Also it's not great to spend my time in a different country combating BB and living out of plastic bags instead of exploring and seeking new experiences.

Would it be a better idea to find a new and hopefully BB free place and disinfect all my belongings and move? or am I over thinking it and should stick it out being live bait at least for the next few months?

Also DDVP don't seem to be available here. So potentially looking into creating a 100% CO2 environment to suffocate BBs over 24hrs for things like electronics that can't be thrown in the dryer. Just want to make sure I'm not going to contaminate my work, friends or help them hop on a plane.

Is this reasonable or am I overreacting?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 10:28:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK, deep breath.

Unless you have found:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

Your skin reactions might not be due to bedbugs.

It is not uncommon for people to have significant reactions as they adjust to a new location which is why it is important to always confirm what is causing the problem before you start to treat it.

I would suggest you spend some time reading the static content such as the FAQs and useful tools to see what to look for along with example videos of how to search. Then look for and document the signs that will help us confirm bedbugs for you or start to rule them out and look at the actual cause.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. MovedtoInfestedroom

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 11:11:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes I thought that the pest control company would start with identifying the problem, but instead went into blanket spray and insisted it was likely a false alarm and that the problem has been solved.

I actually I started researching other possible things. I got home last night after the spraying and took a look with a flash light to see if there were signs so I can figure out if it's some other problem or BB. As a result last night I found a few bug corpses one of them half a foot from the window and where the bed is usually, which I posted and has been identified as a BB.

I have moved and lived in different countries and new places a LOT in my life and this has never happened before. This must be my 4th move in the past 12 months

pretty certain it's BB now.

4. MovedtoInfestedroom

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 11:18:13
    #

Login to Send PM

late sat evening I also spotted 3 spots on the previously new mattress (according to the landlord) Since they had pulled it out into the hallway, which might have been faecal traces. I've only lived there for a week to that point 7 nights. I have some photos of them I can post if that helps.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 12:56:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Their actions do not obviscate any logic surrounding you confirming in order to move forward.

Yes images would help as we can confirm what you have found if it relates to bedbugs.

I totally get you have moved before but unless you have moved into this exact location previously my point about changing environment remains. If the cause of your skin reactions is specific to that location it’s the first time you have been exposed to it.

Pictures will be the fastest answer.

David

6. MovedtoInfestedroom

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 13:53:40
    #

Login to Send PM

faecal spots?

Bug corpse:

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 14:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Landlord is convinced the bed bugs were brought in by you, but upon only seeing two skin lesions on you he insisted that he would hire a PCO and pay for treatment as well as replace any furniture if required.

That's either the most generous landlord I've ever heard of or the bed bugs were there before you moved in and he thought it had already been addressed. That is an interesting response.

8. MovedtoInfestedroom

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 14:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I would like to think that didn't intentionally let me rent an infected room, but I also agree that the response was a bit suspicious.
    they did insist that there were no BB in that room before.

But with the way they have handled it. Very likely that it spread or will spread easily through the property since there's so many rooms and they just drop infected stuff pretty much by the front door.

9. MovedtoInfestedroom

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 12:24:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it paranoid of me to not believe that their treatment plan of one application of their magical insecticide and leaving infected furniture a foot from the outer wall and right beside the front door uncovered will make the apartment bb free?

I think perhaps I should get some passive monitors in the meantime

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 13:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Where are you?

11. MovedtoInfestedroom

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Sun Jan 27 2019 10:33:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in the UK.

Talked to the landlord. Showed them the bug I found, printed out documents and research to try to convince them that their treatment was unlikely to have made the apartment bb free and perhaps something more through would work.
    Couldn't change their mind, only managed to let me leave. So the plan is to GTFO and figure out how to make sure all my stuff is BB free before going to a new place.

Only have a week to move though.

Planning to take the majority of the things to the decontamination facility I've searched up. But still not sure what to do with electronics and electric guitar.

ordered passive monitor and will now probably use at the place I move to before taking things out of quarantine.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs