(4 posts)
  1. LucyLou

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 11:06:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    We have recently had a flea infestation in our house which seems to be getting under control. Have only seen live ones downstairs at a rate of 1-2 per day.

Last week, as I was frantically cleaning the house and losing sleep due to thinking about these things I noticed I was getting bitten at night, despite not seeing fleas in the bedroom. These bites were typically in a row of 3 around my ankles and legs. Perhaps this is paranoia but I then became concerned about bedbugs. No obvious marks on mattress but in corners of wooden drawers under the bed and on the box springs there are small black marks (but not sure if dirt as in all honesty I haven't vacuumed there much??) and what I think are bed bug skins - although my husband has suggested these are goobers as they weren't obviously bug-shaped!! But they were amber/yellow, very hard/thick. I have not found any live bugs yet.
    Anyway have vacuumed completely and got rid of said evidence - my question is: if I am correct, and we have bed bugs, how soon should I see this evidence return?
    On a side note I don't believe I got any fresh bites last night however I slept with the light on and was up almost every hour checking the sheets...

Help! I can't go on like this, it's driving me crazy.

2. BuggeddOutt

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 13:27:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay I'm not an expert so take my advice with a grain of salt but... you know you have fleas in your house, I'm assuming you've seen them in your downstairs area and perhaps on your pets. Fleas are pretty notorious for biting on the ankle area bc it's easily accessible to them. It's quite possible that you are being bitten by fleas during the day and just not reacting to the bites until the following morning. It's actually a bit of a myth that bedbugs bite in a line of 3, and fleas will more typically bite more than once. In my personal experience my son and myself had more singular bites from bedbugs as opposed to a cluster of bites. There is actually an old thread somewhere on the forum where someone asked about bite patterns and the responses were mostly singular bites. This is all anecdotal evidence but can maybe help with your nerves a bit. As far as bedbug evidence, a cast skin looks just like a bedbug, and you could always post a picture of the black marks and an expert could probably say whether or not it looks bedbug related. If you are really concerned I'd say start checking your bed on a weekly basis, take pics of anything suspicious, and try to relax until the evidence would prove otherwise.

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 21:37:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Solve your flea problem ... all signs point to that issue and nothing else.

4. mcsmcs

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 22:06:46
    #

Login to Send PM

my roommate got bites in clusters of 3 is but not everyone got bites in clusters of threes. When we had fleas I got bitten around my ankles exclusively.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,541 posts in 45,811 topics over 139 months by 20,174 of 20,973 members. Latest: busbugs, jklyczek, Thisguy97