Advice on moving from infested house...

(8 posts)
  1. Cheyanimal

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2014 3:20:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! So a little bit about my bed bug story and why I need advice... So a couple of months ago (Late august) I moved to another city to live in my grandmothers house until I was ready to get my own place in December. The first couple of months were great and then I started noticing bumps... Of course I had no clue they were bed bugs bites... in fact I didn't know a single thing about bed bugs. I tried telling my grandma I had bedbugs after doing lots of research but I had no real proof... A little more than a week ago my friend was sleeping over and just as we were about to go to sleep I opened my eyes and saw a bug crawling towards me... that image will never leave my mind. I quickly captured the bug and showed it to my grandma. Later we got it confirmed from pest control that it was in fact a bedbug. Pest control told us they have to do an official inspection (Which will be happening a week from now) and then pick a day to do a spray. So after a couple of emotional breakdowns, barely sleeping, and sleeping with the lights on I am now here with my next problem... I was planning on moving out a month or two from now....

Additional Information: I live in kind of a housing situation where its attached to other buildings... kind of poorly made. A day after I found the first BB I saw another one on my wall and killed that one. Other than finding the actual bugs there has no evidence that they are on my mattress which was brought from my previous home. PCO briefly inspected my mattress and found nothing so they believe it is coming from the cracks between wall and floor (But this is just a theory because they haven't done and official inspection). Since I found the two bugs I have not had any bites but I know it is too good to be true that there were only two bugs. I am not bringing any of my furniture... And i'm going to begin drying and storing my clothes in plastic bins over the next little while.

So I just need some advice on the following:

1) I'm really nervous about moving with my electronics... I mean, I pretty much have been sleeping with my laptop because I like to listen to music while I fall asleep. Also my TV and playstation are pretty close to my bed. Any advice on BB's and electronics?

2) My friend that has slept over quite a few times and was with me when I found the BB is going to be my roommate... should I be worried about her possibly getting BB's from me and bringing them to our new place? She has not seen any signs but I also didn't see any signs for a long time. I feel like she wont be taking the extra precautions I am... and will also just feel like a horrible person if she brought BB's to her current location.

3) I have a cat... so advice on moving with a cat who is also living with BB's.

4) Just general moving advice with BB's

Thanks!!

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2014 8:51:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Cheyanimal,

There have been many, many discussions on the forum regarding how to move without bed bugs. Here is a recent post where I link to several other posts discussing that topic. There is also a search engine in the upper right-hand corner that you could use to find discussions on just about every topic. Also, if you haven't already, you might want to read the FAQs as they have tons of useful information contained in them . . .

Moving post (with additional posts linked within):

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/moving-how-do-i-not-take-them-with-me#post-209632

Cheyanimal -  » 
    1) I'm really nervous about moving with my electronics... I mean, I pretty much have been sleeping with my laptop because I like to listen to music while I fall asleep. Also my TV and playstation are pretty close to my bed. Any advice on BB's and electronics?

This should be covered in the links provided. You can also use the search engine and search for "how to treat electronics," etc. Additionally, you stated you aren't planning on moving for a month or two . . . David Cain has announced that a new product he invented/developed is going to be available in a couple of weeks (depending on where you are located) that can be used for electronics :

bed-bugscouk -  » 
    Something new and very useful about to come out soon but it's a week or two away from US launch.

bed-bugscouk -  » 
    . . . It's a novel non synthetic insecticide technology that will initially be available in NY and Illinos with a wider release from there. . . . If you look at what I have posted a few months ago you will get some idea what this can do.

. . . (we are awaiting its release!)

Cheyanimal -  » 
    2) My friend that has slept over quite a few times and was with me when I found the BB is going to be my roommate... should I be worried about her possibly getting BB's from me and bringing them to our new place? She has not seen any signs but I also didn't see any signs for a long time. I feel like she wont be taking the extra precautions I am... and will also just feel like a horrible person if she brought BB's to her current location.

It is, of course, possible that bed bugs can "hitch a ride" from an infested location to another location. I have seen it stated that the "size" of the infestation can perhaps play a part in the possibility of that happening (the heavier the infestation the higher the chance). Your friend is aware of the situation so she needs to be vigilant in watching for signs, take precautions when she visits you and probably monitor her current location. There is a FAQ on different types of monitors. There is also a new monitor on the market, the SenSci Volcano (haven't used it myself).

Cheyanimal -  » 
    3) I have a cat... so advice on moving with a cat who is also living with BB's.

I've seen that topic also discussed previously; see if you can find something in the search engine regarding it. I believe I have seen several posts regarding what specific people have done and I believe I have seen it suggested that if you have a cat carrier, make sure the carrier is bed bug free and shampoo and/or brush the cat. (Although it is not "normal" or "typical" bed bug behavior for bed bugs to live on pets.)

Cheyanimal - 5 hours ago  » 
    4) Just general moving advice with BB's

Read the FAQs and the linked threads/posts and let us know if you have any more specific questions.

Good Luck!

3. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2014 21:43:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I've tried that, and failed. What I tried: taking nothing with me but a pack of Hanes t-shirts that were newly purchased and sealed in plastic, Hanes boxers that were newly purchased and sealed in plastic, new white sneakers, went to the gym after changing into new t-shirt and boxers and sealed rest of new ones in plastic bags, showered and swam twice, and blew my hair dry once and left gym right after the second swim in which head went fully under several times, left gym in another new t-shirt and boxers, before entering new home, changed outside into another new t-shirt and boxers (I sealed the ones I wore along the way in plastic bags and tossed them).

I still had bed bugs. I believe the bed bugs just clinged to my scalp or hair (they bite my scalp when I sleep, as well as face, neck, arms), or crawled back on to me at the gym, or new ones got on to me at the gym. It's been said by current entomologists online that it is highly unlikely that bed bugs stay in hair. I did read an experiment in which bed bugs were submerged in water for more than an hour, and they lived (old book on books.google.com). Also, ticks and lice can survive a shampooing in the shower - so it stands to reason bed bugs can as well.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd add sitting in the dry sauna of about 170 degrees F for at least 30 minutes prior to jumping in pool to swim underwater, get dressed in new clothes which were sealed in bags (sealed meaning purchased in sealed plastic bags and sealed again in new garbage bag shut with duct tape) and leave immediately. Spray repellent (2 ounces of water plus 10 drops clove oil, 10 drops cinnamon bark oil, and 5 - 10 drops peppermint oil (peppermint kind of burns, so don't use too much), plus 10 drops of an oil like almond oil is optional - makes it last on skin longer.

4. Cheyanimal

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 1:18:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you AbsolutelyFreaking for the advice! I'm going to try my best and let everyone know how the move goes and if I end up being BB free...

tryingalso I've never heard of it being that bad... :/ I'll keep your story in mind just to be extra cautious...

I'm super nervous about moving but hopefully it goes well...

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:17:05
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso -  » 
    I've tried that, and failed. What I tried: taking nothing with me but a pack of Hanes t-shirts that were newly purchased and sealed in plastic, Hanes boxers that were newly purchased and sealed in plastic, new white sneakers, went to the gym after changing into new t-shirt and boxers and sealed rest of new ones in plastic bags, showered and swam twice, and blew my hair dry once and left gym right after the second swim in which head went fully under several times, left gym in another new t-shirt and boxers, before entering new home, changed outside into another new t-shirt and boxers (I sealed the ones I wore along the way in plastic bags and tossed them).
    I still had bed bugs. I believe the bed bugs just clinged to my scalp or hair (they bite my scalp when I sleep, as well as face, neck, arms), or crawled back on to me at the gym, or new ones got on to me at the gym. It's been said by current entomologists online that it is highly unlikely that bed bugs stay in hair.

Holy crap Batman! Seriously?! . . .

When I first read what you wrote above, I thought you were a guy because I think you said (at least how I read it) was you went from the gym in nothing but boxers and tshirt to your new home . . .

And my first thought was What The Heck?! . . . and "he walked out in public in just his boxers and tshirt . . . where were all his other clothes?!"

But then you said this:

tryingalso -  » 
    My husband leaves me alone when he sees that I am caught in what he calls my "Thinking Time."

Now, granted, you can be male and still have a husband (and that's your all choice of course and nobody else's business) . . . but are you female and were using the boxers as shorts???

I'm only asking because when I thought you were a guy and traveled from the gym to your new home in nothing but boxers. . . my initial thoughts were as stated above . . . . "he walked out in public in just his boxers and tshirt . . . where were all his other clothes?!"

However, if you are taking these extreme measures, is your husband also taking these extreme measures? How do you know he isn't the source of your "bed bugs" . . . presuming, of course, you actually have bed bugs??

6. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:30:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Again, off-topic. Who cares. I didn't come up with the thing about a husband. It's quoted and from keirsey.com. Zzzz. As you requested, let's try to be succinct and stay on-track with helping people reduce and exterminate bed bugs.

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 15:33:11
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso - 59 seconds ago  » 
    Again, off-topic. Who cares. I didn't come up with the thing about a husband. It's quoted and from keirsey.com. Zzzz. As you requested, let's try to be succinct and stay on-track with helping people reduce and exterminate bed bugs.

Ok then. . .

Well it is on topic . . . because my point is . . .

it would be HIGHLY UNLIKELY for someone to take those precautions and still have bed bugs . . . IF they even had them in the first place!!

8. bedbugtakeover

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 19:21:34
    #

Login to Send PM

WOW, just WOW!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982