(5 posts)
  1. justbreathing

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 7:15:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I've been getting unexplained bite type things for a little under a week now.. Some were not itchy, some are VERY itchy, some are in places that there is no reason I would have had exposed to, say, a mosquito.

I've just figured out I have carpet beetles, so that could be the problem, but one set of my 'bites' are in a nice neat little row (it's hard to quantify, but as of yesterday I had about 7-10 'bites').

I visit friends. I really don't know all of them very well, so I don't necessarily want to bring them all into my bed bug fears (which I admit are possibly overreactions). But should I really visit them? I am willing to run clothes and a cloth purse through a dryer, but it seems risky.

The tricky part is the 'bites' started the day after I stayed over at someone's house, so for all I know they have them, but who knows for sure.

I'm mostly calm. i slept fine last night. But I don't know what to do about friends while I am in this 'this might be real, this might be not' phase. I don't want to be captive to my fears, but....

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 13:17:28
    #

Login to Send PM

justbreathing - 5 hours ago  » 

I've just figured out I have carpet beetles, so that could be the problem, but one set of my 'bites' are in a nice neat little row (it's hard to quantify, but as of yesterday I had about 7-10 'bites').

That "bites in a row" are bed bug bites is kind of a myth. Sure, they can be, but they usually aren't, and other bites can be also.

Proves nothing.

But don't take my word for it-- David and Lou are both making similar comments in another thread I saw today (sorry, can't recall which but I think the title mentions bites it's here).

This is why we always suggest people get a visual confirmation and yes, it's possible you still have bed bugs, but the monitors should figure that out soon.

It's possible to spread bed bugs to others, but I suspect the risk is much smaller if you have such a small problem you haven't seen any visual evidence yet. I'd be more concerned if you were seeing fecal stains. Bed bugs bite, then they poop. No fecal stains suggests you probably don't have them and if you do, there are so few, you haven't yet seen fecal despite searching.

In such cases, I'm not an expert, but I'd guess they aren't likely to be all over your home, in your purse, etc. Unless you store your clean clothing, purse, shoes under or right next to the bed, in which case items are a bit more at risk. (For people who have bed bugs and want to avoid spreading them, we have a FAQ on how to do that in the travel FAQs, so no need to worry too much.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 13:22:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Incidentally, how long since you stayed at the friend's home? Bed bug bite reactions can be quite delayed, so it may be possible you're still reacting from someone else's bed bugs in their home.

4. justbreathing

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 14:02:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, nobugs,

I stay out a lot. So yes, it occurred to me that I could have been exposed there early last week, although if so then they only recently would have a problem because i haven't reacted before now. And if that's what it's from, it happens, but I would hate to get in a blame game.... That's honestly my fear. If I have bed bugs, it won't be fun. and I would worry my landlord would try to evict me - it's their responsibility to treat, but I am a tenant at will so I am sure they could probably try to get me to move. But more I like my friends and I am worried if I spread them, or if others think I spread them...I'd feel awful.

thanks for the input. i'll have to think on it. i am probably going to tell them my concern (because I'd need a reason for not going to see them) and let them think it over.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 17:00:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Skin reactions from bed bug bites CAN certainly happen a week later. There's no guarantee that's what happened, but you can ask if they've noticed anything. I would not assume you have bed bugs or that they do. (They could also have fleas, for example. Or you could have been bitten somewhere else.)

The monitors will give you a better idea about your own home but I don't think you need to avoid visiting people at this point, unless you are truly worried they may have bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982