advice on containing BB...

(4 posts)
  1. eer2644

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2008 21:56:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I just visited my boyfriend in New York (I live in Fl) for Thanksgiving and he has bed bugs. They just discovered them this week, but the infestation is somewhat bad. I stayed there for 3 days and washed and dried all my clothes like ten times while I was there. I'm paranoid I brought them home with me...I unplacked my suitcase outside, threw the luggage away, went straight into the laundry room without going into the house and immediately washed (on hot)and dried all my clothes again. I wiped down all my toiletries and put everything into ziplock bags, and threw away the books I was reading while I was there. Do you think this was enough to keep them from coming into my house? Do they survive plane travel?? IM FREAKING OUT!!!

2. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2008 22:22:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Given all the steps you took, you should be fine. At this point all you can do is make sure everything you took with you has been heated thoroughly or cleaned thoroughly. Examine everything. I would go ahead and buy encasements for your mattress/box springs just to be on the safe side, it will make it easier for you to monitor.
    Given how proactive you were, I would certainly think the odds of you bringing them home are unlikely. Read everything you can here, especially the FAQ section. Knowledge is power, and you showed good sense in protecting yourself. Other than bringing in a dog to check your apt, I am not sure what you could do at this point besides being very vigilant to look for any signs they may have come with you. Hopefully you don't have them. I'm sorry you are going through this stress, I certainly hope you are free of them.

3. bugbasher

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2008 22:27:18
    #

Login to Send PM

It would seem you've done all the right things.The only other thing I can add is weekly inspections of your bed and try to stay off your couch for the next month,they're very difficult to remove from a couch or anything upholstered actually.
    Go searching on this site for university links that explain how and where to inspect and do so weekly.Even if you did bring them home they are so much easier to get rid of if you catch it early,so don't freak.A bb encasement for your mattress and boxspring might be a good idea,too,as they cut down inspection time and avoid a harborage from starting there in the first place.I think it's a wise investment for anyone.Good luck and I hope you never get them.

4. eer2644

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2008 23:09:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you guys so much...I feel much better now. I felt like they were just waiting for me by the door ready to hitchhike as I left his apt...Im definitely getting the mattress and box spring cover tomorrow and now that I know how they look (HORRIBLE) I will definitely be on the lookout. Hopefully my Bassett Hound will let me know of anything suspicious, but I doubt it he mostly sleeps...THANKS AGAIN!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie