Advice on cleaning carpet?

(3 posts)
  1. GreenPlant

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 21 2019 13:31:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Background -- we're deep cleaning my parents' bedroom hoping to resolve nasty bites/irritation occurring every 2-3 nights. There are carpet beetle larvae and booklice in the room, nothing else confirmed.

So -- they have a threadbare wool Oriental carpet that's overdue for cleaning regardless. They want to take it to a company that will do a cool-water wash and spray it with SLA (pyrethrins/piperonyl butoxide/permethrin with cedar scent).

I don't like the idea of spraying anything -- based on the principle you guys have drummed into me not to treat for an unconfirmed problem (apart from the carpet beetles) and the concern that permethrin residue could repel other bugs in the room and cause them to scatter. And I saw in David's carpet beetle primer that insecticides can make static issues worse. My father thinks if they spray first and then rinse it out there's little residue, but I'm dubious.

I would rather steam it myself to kill any pests (we don't much care if it gets damaged) and then send it out for the cool-water wash.

Or we could just do the cool-water wash to get out dirt & dust.

Thoughts welcome!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 21 2019 13:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

A cool wash in a water with detergent will resolve the issue.

The claims of future repellence of insecticides is complete BS, they don’t work at killing most insects so any hope of discouraging them is laughable.

The reason I don’t mention insecticides with CB treatments is precisely because the part that causes the issue is already dead. There are no points for killing it twice or for adding to the body count which creates the issue.

Logically engage and save yourself the anxiety and loss of cash.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. GreenPlant

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 21 2019 13:56:33
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 minute ago  » 
    Hi,
    A cool wash in a water with detergent will resolve the issue.
    The claims of future repellence of insecticides is complete BS, they don’t work at killing most insects so any hope of discouraging them is laughable.
    The reason I don’t mention insecticides with CB treatments is precisely because the part that causes the issue is already dead. There are no points for killing it twice or for adding to the body count which creates the issue.
    Logically engage and save yourself the anxiety and loss of cash.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thanks so much, David!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,900 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186