Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Advice on blood smear on sheet...please!

(5 posts)
  1. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 10:30:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    I have never seen any bedbug blood smears on the sheet, until possibly this morning. I was about to change my one child's sheets on his bed this morning and I found this blood smear. Now this kid has scrapes, old mosquito bites that he itches, etc so it is very possible this is a blood smear from just scratching his skin.

I know so little though, is this possibly where he rolled over on a bed bug and it exploded? I don't think it is feces as it is not black in color, more red...

I am sorry but if you would look at photo here http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/pp168/bitten123/?action=view&current=IMG_3746.jpg
    and give me opinion if this is pretty likely a bed bug blood stain it would help.

Sorry if I'm freaking out, but I am. He is at school so I can not go and get him to look him over and see if there are bites on him. I did ask him this morning, any new itchies and he said no, not at all. Ug!

We have had 3 treatments and no one able to find a bug, cast skin, etc so I am not anxious to pay for anymore treatments, but I don't know what to do.

2. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 10:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh Bitten

I wish I could answer your question. It does for sure look like blood. If it was from a smashed bug I guess I would look for a dead bug somewhere.

Maybe when your son comes back look at the parts of him that might have been near that part of the sheet to look for scrapes that look like they've been opened recently.

How old is your son? Mine is almost 8 (he also has a good deal of scraped knees & mosquito bites that he just won't let go of)

I don't remember having any blood smeers from my bugs unless I smashed them on purpose. Truth be told, they are so freakin' flat they are hard to smash. Ick! It's like evolution is on their side - why!?

3. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 10:46:18
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks bugbattler, mine is 8 also. I know after a bath the other night one ankle was bleeding from him scratching off a scab (he got in ants).

I have never seen a bed bug, and I searched the bed over and found nothing. I have torn it apart the only thing left is to remove the mattress box spring and recheck that.

I guess it is probably blood from a scratch...at least I hope. I hate how confusing all this is. Thanks for the kindness in answring me, it means alot.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 10:46:37
    #

Login to Send PM

HI,

The colour of the smear indicated that it was caused by human blood direct from the source as opposed to digest via a bed bugs.

Therefore the only conclusion is that it could have been caused by a scratch or cut as easily as from bed bugs.

These are what I would call potential indicating signs as opposed to confirming signs.

I would inspect the area for signs of bed bug activity and note any faecal traces etc.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 10:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David, I so appreciate the professional and kind advice. I have torn the bed apart, will wait for dh to come home from work this evening to help me remove box spring from mattress to check that. Absolutely no fecal traces anywhere on any of the white coverings...mattress and box spring are encased and are white and I went over them with bright flashlight.

Thanks guys, I will look for sores on him after school...thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982