Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Advice needed for treating Laptops and electronics.

(11 posts)
  1. Midgie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 12:36:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi.

I am preparing my home for treatment next week. In the meantime, my son needs his laptop and his tablet for school.

What is the best method to treat the laptop to ensure my son does not spread the bedbugs as he goes back to school?

Once the electronics leave my home, they will be left at his dad's house to keep them safe.

Is there a way to take care of personal devices before the house treatment?

Thank you in advance for any and all help that can be given to me!

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 13:39:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read that they can be placed in sealed bags with Nuvan strips for 48h, or a can of compressed air to spray and clean- though I might do that outside so as to not blow things all over the house.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. Midgie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 13:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!

I was thinking of using a hairdryer or something, but I do not know enough about electronics or bedbugs. I am at a complete loss on how best to proceed.

I may try both of your suggestions. Put it in a bag for 48 hours, then use compressed air?

Thank you.

4. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 14:05:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Midgie - 18 minutes ago  » 
    . Put it in a bag for 48 hours, then use compressed air?
    Thank you.

I think you'd need the chemical strips to be sure for the 48h bagging...

5. Midgie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 14:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh!! I have no idea what Nuvan Strips are. Thank you for clarifying!! I will look into those!

6. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 21:54:27
    #

Login to Send PM

If you plan to use DDVP strips (Nuvan or Hot Shots) please research them thouroughly. 48 hours may well not be enough time. If I recall correctly, the penettation of DDVP as it offgasses relies on circulation because it is heavier than air, and in a bag there is little to be had. Without it, you need to allow time for the strip to offgas, get up to concentration, and penetrate the entire device. Several experts have noted that 48 hours is not enough. While this is a debate, why risk it? I have seen two weeks mentioned for treating without circulation, but cant be sure. DDVP offgasses for appx 4 months. It is a volatile organophosphate so be extrenely careful if you do use it, and follow the labeling

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  7. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 22:02:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I was gonna mention that- I've seen it takes 48h, but doesn't work on eggs, which need like 10 days to hatch, then the 48ish hours for them, so it's at least 12 days, and thenbe safe rounded to an even 2 weeks!

8. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 22:05:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the eggs breathe, but much more slowly, so it can kill eggs. There are videos on youtube aboimut this procesd. Look up posts on here by P Bello (Paul Bello). He helped develop nuvan strips, I believe. He no longer posts here, but had some good advice in old posts.

9. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 8:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can buy a pack-tite or a Thermal Strike Ranger (about $200) I believe you can treat them in that with heat. I did a heat treatment for my house and left my laptop inside (the PCO said it was fine) and it still works, haven't had any problems. You might also be able to spray with 91% isopropyl alcohol, but I'm not sure about that (you should check and also be careful since it is highly flammable). Good luck!

10. Midgie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 14:08:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I will send this to my son's father and go from there!

11. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 17:41:03
    #

Login to Send PM

We moved out of an infested dwelling and used DDVP strips for all our electronics. We went for 2 weeks to be sure. That was almost 9 months ago so the strips worked (or there were no bed bugs in the electronics to begin with, but we didn't want to chance it).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,633 posts in 50,002 topics over 154 months by 21,865 of 22,346 members. Latest: georgia-sos, gingerstelpa, jaa5108