Advice needed for kids room

(7 posts)
  1. Momof4

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 14:07:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, sorry in advance for the long post. In November, I found out my ex mother in law had bedbugs and it was a severe infestation. My son had been going over some weekends and staying the night, and came home one day talking about he didn't want to go back because when he woke up in the morning sometimes there were bugs crawling on him. Ick. Anyway, I went over there and she was infested! Finally got her to believe they were bedbugs, went to the diy pest control, got spray and dust, treated her house to the max. Son wasn't allowed over and still hasn't gone back because I was afraid of getting them at my house.
    Fast forward a few weeks... My son that stayed with her sleeps in a room with his younger brother on a bunk bed. Younger son wakes up covered in bites. Older son has nothing. I check the room, bed, everything and find nothing. Younger son still getting bit. So I go back to diy pest control, get spray and dust, treat room, wash clothes, everything. Everything seemed fine for about a week so I thought I was overreacting and we had nothing. Then it started again. This time I found a black bug in a crack of the bunk bed, and squished it so no id but it was full of blood. Freaked out, sprayed bed and everything again, washed all clothes on hot and dried forever in dryer. Had boys sleep in living room, sprayed the room again in a few days. First night they went back in there, my older son wakes me up at 2 am because he found a bug on his mattress. Definitely a baby bug. So I do everything again, but I have no idea where they are coming from. The bunk bed is a wood panel bed with a desk, dresser, and bookcase. Lots and lots of cracks and crevices, and I guess the spray wasn't able to get everywhere no matter now hard I tried. Last night I found a super tiny bug in one of the cracks, and it was the same color as the bed. As small as it was, if this is a bed bug, there could be a million in the cracks and crevices of this bed.
    I sprayed the room, bed, dresser, everything and then dismantled the bed. It left the house via the bedroom window as not to spread anything through the house.
    What do I do now? Throw everything away? Books, clothes, shoes? I'm so lost and tired of it at this point. How do I get rid of these awful things? I can't afford a pest control company. Is the spray and dust enough if I keep using it?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 14:17:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Now you take pictures of what you're finding and post them here so you can be certain of what you're dealing with.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. Momof4

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 14:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Id<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Momof4

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 14:43:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure if I posted the pics correctly, since the way Flickr showed on my phone was a little different than the what the photo posting instructions said.

5. Momof4

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jan 31 2018 18:42:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone? Is that a bedbug? And from doing research on this site, I see people recommend Nuvan strips. I think I will do that with the books.

6. freakingout123

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 7:20:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping for expert to see

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 13:59:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Momof4 - 18 hours ago  » 
    Anyone? Is that a bedbug? And from doing research on this site, I see people recommend Nuvan strips. I think I will do that with the books.

Looks like an unfed first instar bed bug. You haven't found any plump, red ones since they've been feeding on your son?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,474 posts in 44,027 topics over 133 months by 19,280 of 19,908 members. Latest: ehboys, Ohio111111, trez1336