Advice for a move mid bug-crisis?

(10 posts)
  1. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 2 2010 22:32:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I discovered bugs a few months ago and had my landlord send over her spray guy a few times, but its like pulling teeth. now the lease is up in another month, I am thinking of chucking it in at this apt, as I can not afford to stay here long alone. I also just threw away my futon because Im sure the bugs were in the metal frame where poisons werent reaching. But of course theyre still biting.

So now im a little lonely and distraught.

I just ordered a packtite, will get some hot shot and intend to seal up my books, clothes and equipment for a few months, re-packtite treating them every little while. All furniture will have to be new furniture. Any checklists you can point me to would be helpful, as im abandoning the treatment dangerously early for financial reasons and for reasons of thinking my landlord will not or can not make all the repairs necc to the old row home in Brooklyn.

2. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 0:12:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, asking again, because I am anxious, and I feel like I could go in two directions at once. I rented a storage space, packtite treated and moved a few loads of books into it, and now after talking with my sister, I dont know what to do.

Keep in mind, I am now living alone in a 2 bedroom apartment. My landlord HAS sprayed, but never every two weeks and has not addressed any of the crack sealing. We know the bedbugs were in another floor previously. Ive been getting middling bites, but one person who stayed here got a large cluster of bites the second night.

I was planning on tossing all furniture and storing all stuff but clothes, laptop and air mattress and subletting some place. The bedbugs have been in unusual places; door jambs and faceplates, in the closet, in the bed of course and a chair by the bed my laptop often sat on.

My options as I see them:

1 stay here, caulk everything myself, pay for a PCO myself, pay the whole rent till I can confirm I am bedbug free( 3 months?).

2 pay for the PCO to spray here and spray the new place pre-move.

3 move into a sublet, have the PCO treat the room for me moving an inflatable mattress and couple of sacks of clothes. I would have to buy an encasement for the room mates mattress, just in case. again, with these kind of actions my infestation looks SEVERE, and probably would hinder my renting ability.

4 move, treat just my room of the new place.

5. pay to Vikane everything before I move.

3. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 0:21:49
    #

Login to Send PM

please help guys, please.

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 7:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

When I went to the Second Boston Bedbug Conference, Boston housing inspectors told a sobering story. They moved some tenants with bedbugs out of their infested apartment into a bedbug-free motel. To make sure the tenants didn't take any bedbugs with them, the tenants were only allowed to take the clothes they were wearing, their medications and their wallets. Yet within a few days there were bedbugs in the motel room. This even surprised seasoned housing inspectors.

5. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 8:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that if you cannot afford to stay there alone for every long it would not be cost effective to go the route of traditional treatments, then have to toss all your stuff before moving. Imo, this will cost you more $$ in the long run for replacement furniture, necessities ect...

If it's possible for you to go the Vikane fumigation route, that is what I would opt for. You would not have to rid your furniture or anything and be able to move with more peace of mind that you aren't bringing the bugs with you. Do your research on vikane fumigation, the precautons, and correct packing prep to do so. A local provider of this service should be able to answer most questions for you. Don't worry, you'll get through this.

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 8:24:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Bushbugg: I have not done this myself, but let me try to help you think this through:

- Moving carries the risk that you will infest your new place. But, there's also the risk that it is already infested, or that by some quirk gets infested soon after, through no action of your own.

- Storage can also introduce or perpetuate bugs, as they can travel from an infested neighbor unit. If you do store, bag everything. Look into the giant Warp Bros Banana Bags and other bags. Also consider the cost of storage (how long?) vs other methods. 

- For stuff that can survive a run through the dryer or packtite, that's probably your preferred method. 

- If you're using DDVP strips, remember to leave room for air circulation and enough time to work (ie to kill any hatchlings).

- Do speak with local thermal or Vikane providers, see what they offer and what it costs. Can they deal with a small load. Can they handle the things you're worried about that can't go in a packtite (like electronics)?

I hope these ideas help. Best of luck.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  7. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 20:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I am looking into Vikane. My worldly possessions are going to fit into half a 5X5X5 storage locker.

Again, my furniture is all cast offs of other roommates. Not expensive (maybe expensive to replace...)

Parakeets, thats a harrowing story. I am hoping if its just one of me, Id be luckier than those sods.

8. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jun 19 2010 1:10:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh, god, old timers, the reality of moving in new york with this situation suddenly hit me.

Im in a 2 br. My first roommate moved out, I think (hope) due to unrelated issues. He claimed not to be feeling the bedbugs. Then, thinking I had the problem under control, a new room mate moved in. ...and moved out immediately after being bitten (I did disclose. And I refunded her deposit.)

So I should not sublet a place (most are furnished to a degree), and I am not comfortable finding a room in a 2-3 bedroom especially since I am using the 'no posessions, clothes in ziplocks, air mattress' method. combined with exterminator and DE in whatever new space I have.

My sister thinks I should rent a 2 bedroom, use some of my savings to live alone for 2 months, and when I get the all clear get a roommate. Im wondering if I should just find an unfurnished one bedroom short term.

My family thinks I should move, since the bugs came from another floor, the building is not caulked and theres a lot of areas behind sockets and switches that have gaps and large holes.

Heres the skinny on the building. Next door the long term neighbors have a big bottle of suspend and sterifab I think. One of the apts on the second floor is empty. The first floor family I am suspecting takes care of other families kids during the day for favors or pay. (My packtite was delivered there, and there were 8 kids! They only have 3.) The room I am in has terrible baseboard gaps, the other room has fairly decent caulking it looks like.

I know now that I cant advertise for at least 2 months after treatment. And from my estimate, a pre-spray of a new place would cost me about 1/3 of a full treatment here...

Advice?

9. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jun 19 2010 10:31:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Today the guy sprayed with Suspend, another chemical and something like "Demo" I think he was saying demand CS? Also, he sprayed with Precor 2000, which I just read is labelled for fleas and not bedbugs. Thats a bit frustrating.

Since I have been bitten almost every day the past 2 weeks, we will see how this goes. Ugh. Back to packtiting.

10. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 23 2010 23:08:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I havent been bitten much if at all in the past week-week and a half, so maybe some of the Precor 2000 worked. Ive been looking at apartments, and Im a bit anxious about any situation where the person showing me the house actually lives there. (I also inspect baseboards more than ever!!!)

My sister, (who has listened to me moan about the 60 day bite period, etc) says she thinks I should bring up that I want to pay for a prespray just as a precaution AT the lease signing, only for this one place where my landlord would be living in the building. I am not moving hardly any furniture, I am even buying a new inflatable bed (mine sprung a leak) for the interim.

SO I am bringing my packtite, a few ziplocks full of clothes, and maybe a few pieces of relatively safe furniture. The rest of my books an art papers and dvds are in storage, waiting to be packtited again, or DDVP treated (in a sealed garbage can).

So this is mostly a status update... Any advice old timers on disclosure when the person renting to you would live in the same building? Just dont rent there?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88