Advice: can my couch be saved???

(14 posts)
  1. albugquerque

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2014 18:16:17
    #

Login to Send PM

After 3 weeks bug free I found a nymph that had recently fed. It was on a pillow on the couch, my husband has been sleeping here since I tossed my sons bed (mistake). We have been steaming the couches, but I have not been as diligent recently. I turned over the couch, and found a "nest". Eggs, cast skins, and one bug. Then I took the cap off of the front of the couch and found one more. I steamed and treated with sterifab, then we steamed and reapplied sterifab the next day.

Question is: can the couch be saved? Has anyone tried couch encasements? I believe that there must be a way to do it, but I am just at a loss as to how. Advice?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2014 18:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

On the grounds that nothing "has to be disposed of" it can be done.

You are on the right path with steam and contact killers, it's all about attention to detail though and the more complex the couch the harder you have to work.

I am not sure if the couch encasements have been tested to be bite proof but they are not really needed.

You may want to check the useful tools section to see about supplementing your program with Passive Monitoring. A quick search the forum will show links to places to install on couches.

It's always a shame to hear of people throwing things away, it adds to the feeling of loss and desperation to do so which is why it's best to avoid doing it.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2014 18:54:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear albu,

Of course your couch can be saved !

There are a number of things you can do to eliminate/remove bed bugs from your couch:

> When dealing with a couch, the first thing you want to do is inspect carefully with a decent vacuum at the ready. Use the vacuum to suck up any bugs you find during the inspection process.

> Remove cushions one at a time and inspect carefully and thoroughly. Note that some couches have removable seat and back cushions while others may not. In any case, work carefully and thoroughly such that you don't miss any areas where bed bugs or eggs may be hidden.

> Be sure to work with good lighting so you can see well.

> When done inspecting the couch as it stands in place, be sure to turn it over such that you can remove the bottom dust cover to provide access for inspection & treatment. Doing so will expose the framing within where many bugs may hide.

> Under most circumstances it is OK to apply insecticides to the internal frame work of your sofa. However, we really do not want to apply insecticides to areas which will be subsequently contacted by humans under normal use.

> Use your vac to remove bugs found during inspection, a steamer to kill eggs which may be glued in place and difficult to remove with a vac alone and residual insecticides to treat harborage areas in the frame work.

> Be sure to inspect the legs too.

> If bed bugs persist you can do other things as well including:
    * Encase the sofa.
    * Wrap the sofa in a plastic tarp and treat with a pest strip.

If your sofa has useful life remaining, do not throw it away, simply kill the bugs that are on it.

Hope this helps ! pjb

4. albugquerque

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2014 18:57:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply. I feel like disposing of my son's bed was one of our biggest mistakes during our infestation, and I do not want to repeat that mistake. Plus, it is like throwing money away. I will look into the monitors and keep up the hard work.

What is the best way to reach those deep pockets? I have been placing the nozzle of the steamer down into them and letting in seep for long periods. Do you recommend cutting the fabric in areas that are not visible and repairing them once we are clear?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2014 19:05:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In most cases without the repellency of chemicals bedbugs will not be deep in the pockets. They have a preferred harbourage profile so care an attention to the seams and the edges of the webbing on the underside are more important than "blasting with steam". In fact on that note low pressure high temperatures are what you need as they penetrate without blowing things away.

This is why we have a good success rate with couch monitoring as they love the underside more than the pockets and if we remove the dust cover the harbourage we provide is the most optimal one that is left.

David

6. albugquerque

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2014 19:17:19
    #

Login to Send PM

We did take the dust cover off. I found them along the seam between the leather and the stuffing. I worry that the leather makes it harder to treat because I can only make contact in specific areas.

I am glad to hear that it is possible, this just seems never ending!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2014 19:22:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Leather is actually the best material as it reduces the chance that they will explore the pockets. Bedbugs tend to sense the surface before they commit to it so leather pitfalls have little attraction and even smaller chance of escape.

They are almost always in the seam of the sofa and webbing or on or around the feet. Certainly no reason to apply anything to te open surfaces.

Once you are all done remember to saddle soap the leather and give it a good conditioning treatment. People often forget it's organic nature and thus the fact it needs feeding.

David

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2014 21:01:34
    #

Login to Send PM

One of the least labor intensive methods to render a sofa bed bug free is to wrap it in a plastic tarp with a suitably sized pest strip. Wrap it such that you create an air tight containment.

You can then place a large blanket over the plastic if you wish to continue to use the sofa whilst it's being treated to kill the bed bugs.

As per the product label, you should leave the sofa sealed in the tarp for at least seven days.

You can do this as a "just to make sure" type step after you've inspected, vacuumed and steamed the sofa.

Good luck ! pjb

9. spicynat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 30 2014 22:25:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I would suggest that you also put some traps at the feet of your sofa. So if there are any others around they can't come back nor go anywhere around and infest a bigger part of your home. You could also put some diatomaceous earth around the feet. But make sure to buy the food grade one not the pool grade and read carefully the instructions before using it. Good luck anyway. Hope you can save your sofa.

10. albugquerque

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 2 2014 15:01:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I examined the couch today before treating it. I found 5 eggs and no live bugs. That must mean they are there somewhere. I sprayed a contact killer and then did a through steam treatment. Going slow. I have my fingers crossed and I will have to keep it up I know.

Next I dusted, and I found a live bug under the TV. AUGH!!!! Could it have been fleeing the treatment of the couch?

We also called our PCO and since we were still within the guarantee time he did a treatment on the baseboards and under the couch, not the couch itself. I feel like we are doing the right things, but not getting the results we want.

What else can we do?

11. albugquerque

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 2 2014 15:03:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I put some climb ups under the couch today as well.

12. Warfighter

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2014 14:20:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Good move putting the climb ups under the sofa legs. I was going to recommend you do that before I saw your most recent post. I used duct tape to seal the underside of the sofa to trap any bed bugs inside the wooden frame. I have a leather sofa and as mentioned by one of the experts the material is not as attractive to bed bugs as textiles. I have never found any evidence in the numerous leather on leather crevices.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2014 15:32:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's not that it's not attractive in a luring kind of way it's more to do with habitability of the refugia and the microclimates that are created. It's maybe a little too bedbug need to get into without making a dedicated post just on that one subject.

David

14. Warfighter

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2014 19:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, that's what I meant BB. Thanks for the clarification.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,414 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams