Advantages of bedbugs

(6 posts)
  1. deckbose

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 18:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

There are none -- let's get that straight right away.

But as a result of the widespread infestation in my building, I have gotten to know almost a dozen tenants I never knew before, and they are all cool people who I am glad to have met.

If our building wasn't so inhabitable right now, we would probably all be hanging out, partying together, and that is a rarity in NYC indeed. I have lived here for almost 35 years and never have I known this many of my neighbors, and looked forward to seeing them everyday.

This is an awfully steep price to pay for meeting new friends, but you look for silver linings wherever you can in the Bedbug Wars.

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 18:42:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw this show on TV once where someone lived literally under tons of clutter. They brought in a a couple of experts, psychologists I think, to somehow get this person to be able to part with some of the junk. All they really needed to do was to bring in a couple of bed bugs! My place was never anywhere that bad, but I must say it has never looked better or been this clutter free since I thought I had bed bugs.

Richard

3. nobugs4me

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 19:05:24
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and daughter are absolutely thrilled that I have now agreed to go camping for vacation next year. Prior to our bedbug exposure, I was the kind of girl who loved to hike all day - but from luxury hotel to luxury hotel. Now, I can't imagine trying to relax on vacation in any kind of hotel or house vacation rental. Makes me itch even more just thinking about it!

4. deckbose

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Sep 3 2010 20:20:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there a way to edit posts after they're posted? There was an Edit choice at first but it appears to have vanished.

Not for nothing but I meant "uninhabitable" in the third paragraph, not "inhabitable".

But I love where this thread is going. Yes, other benefits have cropped up as a result of the BedBug Wars.

As Richard alluded to, my apartment has also never been so clean.

So vacant either, since I threw out all my furniture and won't replace a thing until I know the place is bug-free.

But it is clean!

My tub, also. Never has my bathtub, in 35 years of bachelorhood, been this clean. You could eat off it. Which is what, I believe, the bedbugs are planning -- since the bathtub is apparently haute cuisine for the hematophagous crowd.

My main room -- it is a studio -- has no furniture along the infested wall. There are three separate infestations -- well, four if you include the electrical outlet -- so I keep that wall clear for fumigation purposes, of which it has had 5.

The rest of my studio is pretty empty. Nothing still on the walls. Clothes wrapped in plastic.

But it is clean!

5. nobugs4me

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 4 2010 10:20:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I like this thread so I'll add another. Usually, Saturday mornings involve this big disagreement with my husband. For some reason, he is obsessed with getting the car cleaned every other Saturday morning. (I've heard this is not an uncommon guy thing.) I, however, want him to stay home with me and help around the house. He's not happy - I'm not happy - it has been known to turn into a full-fledged argument. Well, this morning, I asked him to take the car to get cleaned, shampooed - the whole 9 yards and he was happy and I was happy and all was well with the world (well, except for the bedbugs!)

6. BugsinGramercy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 20:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just about to start a thread like this!!!

1) Bed bugs are not linked to some horrible disease, like malaria mosquitoes, for example. While they are horrible to live through... you don't seem to have to worry that you will sicken or die as a result of infestation.

2) Similar to the poster above, I found that BBs had the unexpected effect of uniting me and my husband to work as a team in order to vanquish the enemy. I think it brought us closer, for reals.

3) Yes, we too got rid of half our belongings, including a huge amount of clutter consisting of the type of stuff that you'd honestly really RATHER throw away, but can't bring yourself to, because it was a gift or you paid too much for it or it was a bargain and you haven't used it the way you intended to yet or WHATEVER.

4) In fact, BBs are kind of an awesome excuse to get rid of crap and not have to worry about offending someone later. I hated that purple leash my mother gave me for my dog and now if she ever asks me about it, I can just tell her it was a casualty of my war on BBs. Airtight and legit excuse.

5) They make you appreciate having someplace to go other than your apartment, even if it is the office. Best case scenario it's someplace you actually WANT to be, but hey, it's good to be anywhere that helps take your mind off the crawly feeling.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

285,412 posts in 47,493 topics over 146 months by 20,948 of 21,258 members. Latest: Nwkent25@gmail.com, Camilleparker, lamachina