Adult bugs in apartment

(2 posts)
  1. New_Bugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 23 2012 13:50:42
    #

Login to Send PM

About a week and a half ago I discovered a bug crawling around in my bathtub. I didn't know what it was, I thought it was a beetle but had never seen one like it before, so I went online. It didn't take be long to stumble upon pictures of bed bugs, and there was immediately no question that that's what it was. I washed it down the drain and didn't really think much more of it, figuring it had just come up through the drain or something. A few days later I found another one, again an adult, but this one was dead. I found it on the bathroom floor. At that point I got a little worried, but still figuring that since they were in the bathroom and no other parts of the living space, I just ignored it. At that point I did start doing a little more research, just to get an idea of what possible signs to look for. Several days passed with no other signs. Then yesterday, around 7 a.m. I just happened to wake up just enough to see something crawling on a box beside my bed. It was a bed bug. At that point I kind of went into panic mode. I brought the box into the bathroom, found the bug and flicked it into the toilet, then I found a second one and did the same thing. These two were also both adults. I went through the entire box, even took apart the box itself to really get into every crevice possible, and there were no other signs of them. I knew the things to look for through my prior days research, so I looked very carefully for eggs, shed skin, younger bugs, anything. As far as I could tell, everything in the box was totally clean.

At this point I suppose I should give a little more background. I live in an apartment with my boyfriend, we've lived here for about 10 months and neither of us has ever seen a bed bug in our lives. Up until this point, I had never heard of bed bugs in this building either. I did start getting bites, recently, several days after the discovery of the ones in the bathroom, but only a day or two before finding the ones next to my bed. At first I just figured they were mosquitoes, we sleep with the windows open but there aren't screens on them. I'm actually still not convinced that all my bites are from bed bugs, but I do think several of them are, based on their pattern. I have about 30 throughout my arms, hands, and shoulders. That was actually what made me convinced originally that they were mosquito bites rather than bed bug bites, I sleep with most of my back and my arms exposed, no where that was covered by blankets was bitten, just the exposed areas. My boyfriend has a couple of bites, but not nearly as many.

I spent pretty much all day yesterday researching everything I could find on bed bugs, a lot of info I got was right off this site. I searched everywhere I could think of, in and around the bed, baseboards, the hallway between the bedroom and bathroom, I can't find a single sign of other bugs anywhere. That leaves me to believe that we are not the original source of the bugs. I would think if we were the source there would be more in various stages of life. It also leaves me to assume that the bugs must be coming from a neighbor. If that's the case, their infestation must be pretty bad at this point, right?

I don't know what to do from here. I live in Portland, OR, and according to the laws here, the land lord is responsible for any extermination fees unless mine is the only unit that is infested. However, if I am not the original source of the infestation, they still have to pay for it. I can't seem to find who the burden of proof would fall on in that situation, do I have to prove that I am not the original source, or does the land lord have to prove that I am? Also, as far as I can tell, though I'm not 100% sure on this, they don't have to legally inform other tenants of an infestation unless the tenant thinks to ask. In that case, how do I they won't lie to me since its in their best interest to keep any other infestations quiet? It could keep them from having to pay for the extermination fees for my place. I'm very hesitant to go to management because I don't want them thinking that I am the source of the bugs, I mean what if some how mine is the only unit that has bugs? Would that even be possible since I've only found 4 adults and no other signs of them? They MUST be coming from somewhere else, right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this seems to be a very helpful forum so I look forward to reading any responses.

2. New_Bugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 12:14:08
    #

Login to Send PM

No one? I know thats a bit of a read, I'm sorry, I just wanted to make sure I covered all the details. I could really use some advice though. Last night it looks like I didn't get any new bites. I woke up a couple of times throughout the night and looked for them when I was awake enough to do so, no signs of them. Could it be possible that those were the only ones? Is this something I need to tell management about at this point? I still suspect another apartment is infested but I have no way to know for sure or to know if they even know or if they've talked to management about it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,482 posts in 49,272 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk