About to move to a PURCHASED PROPERTY, and discovered my old house has bed bugs

(2 posts)
  1. Dammit...

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 10:03:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I am just about to move to a condo that I have purchased, however, I have not yet moved anything. I highly suspect I have bedbugs as I have itchy bites in the "breakfast, lunch and dinner" patterns . I have discovered a few blood smears on the mattress of where I have rolled over the bugs, and started noticing symptoms after returning from a trip to visit family on the east coast. Anyways, I do not want to risk taking bed bugs with me to my new place as I have equity in the property and will have to deal with this situation on my own (as well as deal with scrutiny from the HOA). I am not enthusiastic in the slightest. I plan to get rid of my bed, my couch, carpet, etc...

My largest concern is whether bed bugs can stay on tables, electronic equipment (such as my computer and television), shelving units etc. and whether I should bother moving them. Also, should I think about replacing my clothes? I guess I would like to know what I should take (or what is smart to take) as opposed to what would be risky to take.

Thank you much bedbuggers!

2. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 10:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Dammit. While they are not likely to be in the items that you mentioned, they certainly can be depending on the level of your infestation.

No need to get rid of your clothing. Dirty clothes should be washed and dried on hot heat, stored in sealed plastic bags. Clean clothes should be placed in a drier on high heat for about 30 minutes, then stored in sealed plastic bags. Don't worry, your delicates will probably survive, all of mine did.

A Packtite is helpful to treat other items that can't be put in the dryer such as books, shoes, jewelery, etc. My digital camera even survived the Packtite.

Alternately, depending on where you live you may have a Vikane or Heat treatment moving van option. You essentially put all of your belongings, furniture, etc into the van and those items get treated prior to moving them into your new dwellings.

Good luck. I hope that you can enjoy your condo in peace.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956