Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

About to move soon, will bed bugs follow me??

(6 posts)
  1. GetRidOfBugsNow

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 22:22:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello I've been in shelters since Feb 2012 and the shelters have had bed bugs. I've been able to find my own place which I will be moving into next month and don't want these life ruining blood suckers to follow me. I have a bag of clothes that I've never worn and sealed them into a garbage bag until the day I move, where I will throw all my old clothes away and wear the new ones, right before leaving. the only thing that I have besides clothes is a laptop and the laptop case. Not sure if those are infested since I put them on my bed. How to make sure these devils don't follow me to my new home?!

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 23:10:45
    #

Login to Send PM

You should take a look at the travel FAQ to minimize the chance of carrying them on you.

Additionally, I would use a fresh bag when leaving the shelter. (Simply dropping the current bag into a new one that hasn't been just laying around in the shelter is probably a risk I wouldn't take.) In your circumstance, I would go to a laundrymat and dry those clothes on hot for an hour before you go to the new place. (The heat's affect on the fabrics will be lessened if the clothes are dry.)

I would toss out the bag you carry them in in. I would also dry the laptop case if it's not super insulated and would be penetrated by the heat, like one of those neoprene sleeve. If it's got a lot of padding, it is a potential harborage and would difficult to treat. I would toss it if it can't be dried and replace it when you can.

I would simply buy new shoes on the way to your old place and disposed of your old ones while clothes are drying.

Can you shower and leave directly? If so, I'd do that.

With the laptop, I would inspect it with a flashlight and magnifying glass if you can get your hands on them. THen bag it in a clean ziplock. Just like with the clothes, I would transfer to a fresh bag before you leave, but before you shower.

The goal is as low as an exposure as possible. The fresh bags significantly reduce the chance that eggs or bugs are hitchhiking along for the ride. Shoes are hard to treat, and I treated the ones I could. I definitely ended up tossing padded bags and shoes during my move.

My advice is based on my successful move out of an infested apartment.

3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 10:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an FYI, I stored bags I used to move things outside of my infested home within a ziplock until I was ready to use them.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 21:36:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Our "Stuff" FAQ can help you strategize a bug-free move.
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/stuff/

Check with your shelter and see if they have any tools, like a packtite or a "hot room" for decontaminating your things.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. GetRidOfBugsNow

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 21:37:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I never thought to actually change the bag right before moving ( how stupid of me)xD I always thought the bugs would slip off the bag cause it's slippery. I plan on getting two pieces of luggage because I plan on taking a plane, (new place is very far away). Will that fit into a zip lock? I forgot to mention that I have 3 pairs of sneakers that I never worn, and don't want to throw away. Not sure if those were expose to bugs, is there anyway to save them?

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 21:40:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Read the "Stuff" FAQ.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123