Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

abandoning apartment: what do I do?

(4 posts)
  1. previouslymental

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 28 2018 1:24:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I have recently discovered a bed bug. I have been bitten for days but held onto the hope that it might be the fleas left over from a roommate who also abandoned the apartment with no notice. (maybe now I know why). I have had 3 mental breakdowns in the last 2 days due to a preexisting mental health condition. I am not mentally equipt to handle bed bugs right now.
    I do not want to take new bugs with me. Frankly, I am not above trashing every item I have and leaving with literally my photo id and the clothes on my back. Starting life new, like a baby.
    I want to sell my car and fly to a different state anyway.
    Is there anything I should keep in mind. I really really really really do not want to bring them with me, even though I've only seen one bug. From what I've read, there is almost no escape. Do the bed bugs win here?

2. previouslymental

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 29 2018 5:39:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: Please help. The PCO for my apartment visually checked and found no signs of "infestation" but I have a live bed bug in a jar from my wall.
    How likely is it that I had a lone bed bug?
    I'm still planning on getting a heat treatment for my apartment, but I'm afraid they are in my car. I want to leave right after the heat treatment of my home and hopefully my car. Will that work or will I bring eggs or something with me?

3. mcsmcs

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 4 2018 22:30:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Take a deep breath. Although they can be hell to get rid of and certainly there a horror stories there are plenty of people that have bed bugs and successfully get rid of them. Have you posted a photo of bugs here? Did the take a deep breath. Although they can be held to get rid of and certainly there are horror stories there are plenty of people that have bed bugs and successfully get rid of them. Have you posted a photo of bugs here? Did the professional that came in confirm that it was a bed bug

4. previouslymental

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 17:33:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, professionals came in and confirmed the one bug I found. They are coming to do a heat treatment in a couple of days. I have been waiting for 7 days and I am worried there are bugs hiding and waiting for me to sleep, so I haven't done much of that.
    I am planning on putting all clothes through the dryer then double bagging them in ziplocs, putting anything that can be heat treated in the living room and then bagging in ziplocs for the move and anything that cannot be treated by heat will be double ziploced with a nuvan strip once the move is complete (I don't want to leave the strip active while I am driving for hours in my car).
    I have 3 strips in my car right now (2 in the cabin and 1 in the trunk) as per the labeling instructions and recommendation of the supplier. I can only leave them in for 72 hours right now then air it out for 2-3 hours tomorrow to leave the day of the heat treatment. Once I reach my destination, I'll put the strips back in with some DE in the crevices for 3 weeks.
    I have deeply breathed for a few days now. Luckily I have a supportive family to help me with the mental trauma. (Yes, it feels that bad).
    It does feel better to have a plan. If anyone who sees this has successfully moved without bringing bed bugs, it would probably ease my paranoia a lot. Thank you so much mcsmcs!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg