Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

ABALLEN'S 2ND THERMAL TREATMENT BITE REPORT

(35 posts)
  1. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 10 2009 23:23:59
    #

Login to Send PM

After a rather harsh second thermal treatment (lot of home damage posted in seperate thread), I am going to begin posting the results on this threat with at least weekly updates. The first treatment failed with bites noted three nights afterward. I am pleased to report that no one in the home, three adults, have not been bitten and not blood spots have been seen since the second treatment 12 days ago. I hope to continue to post good news, but I will not allow myself to be opitmistic yet. This will put of the PTSD maybe.

2. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jan 18 2009 22:14:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Another week has gone by and we are still bite free. My sister has an unidentifiable lesion on her back, so we still say bite free. This is after two thermal treatments.

3. phantom1

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 8:36:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Aballen: where are you located--and if you don't mind my asking, who did the thermal treatments and how much do they cost? Thanks for any info you can provide....

4. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 19 2009 22:42:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I used Xtreme Resolutions out of West Chester, Ohio, I am near Cincy. Let me know if you have any questions about this company. I am not even close to declaring victory, and had to have a second treatment as the first one failed. Another member here also used the same company, also twice, and her family is still suffering. Be sure to check out the potentional damage if you go thermal. There is not supposed to be any major, but I had alot, so did the other member. But, it was because our provider is new and in my case, did not give me preparation instructions completely. I could have avoided alot of damage.

5. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Feb 18 2009 17:37:45
    #

Login to Send PM

After a 3 1/2 week vacation, I came home Sunday to sleep in my bed and woke up bite free!!! My sister who live with us did not get any bites while we were gone either. BUT, Monday she fell asleep on the sofa (she had not sat on it the whole time we were gone, but sat on the chair next to it) and she was bitten immediately, two hours after she woke up she found the bite. In addition, about two days before we left, about 4 weeks ago, she fell asleep on the sofa and also was bitten. No one else and no where else in the home. Progress, not prefection, and I need perfection.

6. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Feb 18 2009 19:25:22
    #

Login to Send PM

just unbelievable

7. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Feb 18 2009 19:59:04
    #

Login to Send PM

aballen - how is this possible? they heated your home to the point that a lot of your furniture was damaged? nothing could survive that heat.

Do you think a K9 would help to identify a potential probelm at this point?

I am just concerned that your sister may have some other skin issue going on and you continue to treat your home to the point that everything that is not currently destroyed gets destroyed

or maybe just get rid of the sofa & chair next to it and be done with it - if that is the only place she claims to be bitten

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 0:28:58
    #

Login to Send PM

aballen - 6 hours ago  » 
    My sister who live with us did not get any bites while we were gone either. BUT, Monday she fell asleep on the sofa (she had not sat on it the whole time we were gone, but sat on the chair next to it) and she was bitten immediately, two hours after she woke up she found the bite. In addition, about two days before we left, about 4 weeks ago, she fell asleep on the sofa and also was bitten.

So, it sounds like you have bed bugs in your sofa.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 0:54:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps the bugs retreated far into the couch and found a survivable location during the heat treatment. I'd toss the 2 questionable items after all you have endured.

Jim

10. Cantfindthem

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 1:09:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The question is... has a female bed bug left the sofa in search of food in the bedrooms (assuming the bites were from bed bug(s)). If so, this could possibly mean another treatment. I really feel for you aballen.

11. bedbugdude

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 7:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a question. Do they follow up with a chemical treatment at all or is it just heat?

12. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 11:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I suspect the question of follow-up varies by company.

when I had my thermal treatment, they sent two thermal guys and one chemical guy. I believe the chemical stuff was only used before the thermal treatment, but I was going out of town that day, and wasn't able to stay to the end of treatment, so I can't say for sure.

I can tell you that in my case, one thermal treatment got rid of everything, so there wasn't a need for chemical treatment afterwards (assuming that they didn't do any, which I'm pretty sure that they didn't.)

13. bugbait

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 11:58:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Aballen - Welcome home and so glad you slept in your own bed bite-free. What a relief!
    I agree with Spidyjg....I would remove the sofa and chair from your home. We currently have our sofa wrapped in plastic in the garage. Once the weather cooperates, we will have Hershey (our wonderful bedbug detecting dog!) thoroughly sniff and inspect the sofa. We will either donate the sofa or destroy it with a chain saw depending on what Hershey detects!

14. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 16:30:02
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugdude - 8 hours ago  » 
    I have a question. Do they follow up with a chemical treatment at all or is it just heat?

I can't speak for the providers who treated aballens home but we have started applying DE in multifamily or high risk homes, such as group or transitional housing, as an ongoing control mechanism against a neighbour unwittingly introducing bed bugs etc. We do not do that in single family homes as it is uneccessary if we do our job properly.

15. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 18:40:45
    #

Login to Send PM

There is no chemical treatment after the heat. They are not PCOs. We have DE down though, and have not applied any chemicals. They claim the heat neutralizes all the prior chemicals that we applied to my home. My sister and I have come up with a very methodical inspection method of our bodies, we both react within a couple hours. She had one bite on the sofa 28days ago yesgterday. Then avoided the sofa, but sat and slept on all other pieces in the home. Then she fell asleep on the sofa on Monday just as a test. Low and behold, a bite! Noticed it two hours after she woke up. I am on the verge of burning the entire set, but we will have to wait for a while to purchase new furniture to make sure the new is not infested.

This is my concern, would anyone recommend a reheat of just the sofa> They are wiling and able to do that since we feel confident that it is the only place left where my sister has been bitten. I have not been bitten anywhere either since before Christmas. I am not home much and do not sit on the sofa and definitely don't sleep there. She falls asleep while watching TV. Since there is only two bites in four weeks, do you all feel it is feasible to reheat just the sofa? If there were lots of BB in the sofa, wouldn't she have more than one bite after avoiding it for 28 days. BUT, there is the concern that a female is there laying eggs geting ready to hatch and forage for food, beginning the process all over. I need to make a decision by tomorrow. Friday is the day I am going to burn it as hubby will be off work early enough to help.

So, to burn or not to burn? Or reheat? I love the sofa, I called LazyBoy to see if it is still in production. We have spent so much money, but I suppose one more sofa purchase would not break me at this point. Please give me your opinion. There is not doubt that the bite came from the sofa though.

16. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 20:12:20
    #

Login to Send PM

AB, cook the sofa or get rid of it. You have suffered enough. Assume there are eggs in it. Keep up posted.

17. reepicheep

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 23:02:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I think before you do anything to the couch, you should establish whether or not a bb is in it. I would first wrap it up in plastic sheeting and get it out of your house. Then put another piece of furniture there and have your sister take a nap on it a few times. If she doesn't get bitten, then perhaps the couch is the culprit. Don't you think that if the thermal was going to work on the couch, it would have worked one of the first two times? I guess if I knew for sure I had one last bb in a piece of furniture, I'd hack the furniture, but I'd make darn sure that would solve my problem before I did it.

18. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 0:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

What reepicheep said. Make sure it is the problem before taking any further measures.

It is totally possible to just heat the sofa. We do contents of people homes all the time. Don't waste your time or money until you know what is happening though.

Tony Canevaro

19. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 10:40:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I personally would get rid of the sofa, but I"m in a mode of "if in doubt, throw it out" so my advice is not worth a whole lot at this point.

I can say if they will reheat it, then reheat it. I do not understand though why two treatments would have not gotten it, but worth a try. If the third treatment does not do it, I would toss that sofa and take to the dump.

Again, I am so sorry for all you have been through. Hang in there.

20. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 20:59:09
    #

Login to Send PM

by now I hope you got rid of the sofa - no time to waste, reason being you have already heated the darn thing to a near-melting point. It may be too dense to heat thoroughly. The test for where they are hiding is tricky - and there could be more than one hiding place. In my opinion, you are beyond all that. That's for beginners. You have one of those "mystery" problems.

21. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Feb 28 2009 21:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, another week has passed since my last report and we have had no bites!!! No one in the home has had a bite since before the second very harsh thermal treatment a few days after Christmas, the treatment was about 60 days exactly, so no bites in about 9-10 weeks EXCEPT for sis who got two bites in 28 days both while sleeping on the sofa which has now been burned. I am going to start a seperate thread about that. If they were in the family room near the sofa, wonder how long it will take them to reach us again in our bedrooms? But, bottom line, the second thermal seemed to almost do the trick except for the sofa. We have reached the 60 day point, but victory is long away as I am am going to wait until at least six months and have a double blind K9 in.

22. buggela

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 19:38:56
    #

Login to Send PM

aballen, I have my fingers crossed for you. I am thinking of going the thermal route now myself after millions of chemical treatments. Does anyone know how art work (oils, watercolors) react to thermal treatments?

23. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 20:58:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have any of those in my house, so I can't tell you how they fared in my thermal treatment.

However, you might try calling a PCO who provides thermal to ask.

If you're in one of the parts of the US where thermal is newer, they may not have a lot of houses worth of treatment to draw on. So if it's art you're really worried about, you might call one of the thermal providers in a state that's used thermal a lot longer.

(In case it helps, I used Hydrex for my thermal treatment, and like many PCOs in southern California, they've treated a lot of places with thermal since it's used for termites (not just bed bugs) out here.

You also, buggela, might start a new thread since the thermal PCOs might see a new thread faster than a response to an older thread like this.

24. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 21:42:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Another week with no bites after two thermal treatments. Sissy is going to sleep in the last room that gave us throuble, the family room, where we burned the furniture, to make sure that none escaped the sofa and are hiding in the room somewhere. Brave sissy insn't she? I could never do it.

25. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 9:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Two more weeks have passed and we have no confirmed bites. I am beginning to get hopeful, but not convinced we are rid of them yet. It has been since December that I have had a bite, but my sissy got one on 2-16-09. Sometimes I have a tiny red dot on my body which causes me to freak out, but they are so small they have to be examined with magnifying glass by hubby, so I do not call these bites. They are not the same. Two Thermals later, hopefully it worked.

26. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 11:32:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm rooting for you. Please keep us posted. Stay vigilant.

I am amazed at the survivability of these bloodsuckers.

27. bugbait

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 23:13:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Aballen - I think you're bb free! Yea! As for the tiny red dots.....there was an entire thread on those months ago. I don't think bed bugs are the cause.

I'm so happy for you! You certainly have done everything possible to rid your home of these buggers.

28. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat May 16 2009 9:34:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Another month has passed and no one in the home has been bitten. We still check, me daily, hubby and sis, maybe weekly. Our home is returning to normal and we just put in new furniture the other day after I burned the family room. It appears, I repeat, appears, that the Thermal treatment worked. I will make a new, shorter post for those considering Thermal. So they almost burned down my house, actually, you all know I wished it HAD burned at one time. The damage was pretty severe, but we are in the repair stage, and no bites. The termal company has not paid a dime for the repairs yet. I think they learned from their mistakes at my home in terms of prep. Fortunately, we are in the position to take care of the damage financially, but lots of people couldn't, so research and check references for your thermal provider.

29. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat May 16 2009 10:25:48
    #

Login to Send PM

excellent

30. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat May 16 2009 11:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Aballen,

That's great news about the lack of bites. It really is.

For what it's worth, it took me months after treatment to start believing that the bugs were really and sincerely gone. But as I said in response to someone else, I now live crazy. sometimes I put freshly washed clothes down right on top of my bed. Not in plastic bags! I'm such a rebel!

In all seriousness, I'm glad the bugs are gone and you're able to return to something approaching a normal life without them.

31. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat May 16 2009 13:37:56
    #

Login to Send PM

aballen,

I am really glad things are looking up. Sorry you went through all that.

32. MG

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 23 2009 13:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

BALLEN... Thank you for sharing your comments and advice. Just wish I had read them prior to our thermal treatment. We used the same company (XR) last week and had the same severe damage. Looks like they have not learned from past mistakes. I just pray that the bugs are gone.

How did the company respond finanically? We are trying to decide if we need a lawyer. Such a nightmare. Can't believe they were laughing about raising the temp in our home to 180, especially after I asked not to exceed 150.

33. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 23 2009 15:25:02
    #

Login to Send PM

MG

Can you give us some examples of the damaged items or surfaces?

I am very curious about which items or areas were a problem?

Thanks

34. BuggyinLA

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 26 2009 0:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

MG

We used a different thermal company than you, but we had stuff damaged as well (although it sounds like not as severely as you did).

After our treatment when our building manager came though, the technicians boasted about reaching 170 and 180 internal temps. I thought it was just boasting, since we were told that our apartment wouldn't be overheated during our second thermal treatment (something we feared), but I think it may have reached extreme temps in at least one corner due to the damage.

Are you having any luck getting repairs covered?

35. hathead

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 26 2009 13:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

hi all
    happy thanksgiving!
    we think we are bugfree after 2 chemical and 2 thermal treatments

wanted to weigh in on thermal damage
    i think the temp reached 160 both times here

we had paint bubble up on doors and stair risers (we live in a victorian - lots of paint over varnish)
    we had a kitchen cabinet detach itself from the wall (a cheap cabinet put up with adhesive)
    saw some laminate edging on said cabinets detach itself
    a very expensive organic wool and silk comforter became "bunchy" as though the wool inside had felted itself in the heat
    our southern pine floors "bled" pine resin, which then hardened into beads over much of the finish

that's all i can think of for now
    the thermal people said we had 6 months to file for repair costs
    but we aren't really seeking that
    we are so glad to get rid of the bugs
    we just saw it as part of the process and shrugged it off

hope this helps!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver