A year ago today! There is hope

(5 posts)
  1. AbugMess

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 9:52:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Come January 2012 I will not have visited this site in over a year. Today marks the one year anniversary of when my husband, two sons and I, discovered we had bed bugs. I'm honestly ready to cry just typing this from the memory of how our lives were turned upside down but I wanted to post a message of hope because I know that's what I longed for when things seemed hopeless.

This is my story.

My family and I live overseas in Germany in my husband frequently travels to various destinations. We unsure if we picked up the bedbugs in Italy during the month of November 2010, or if he brought them home from a trip to Israel in early September 2010. All I can say for sure looking back is that we noticed bites on ourselves and our youngest in October 2010.
    My husband and I actually barely had a reaction to the bites. I recall that they were noticeable, but primarily on him. It had still been warm out there and we were preparing the garden for winter, etc. so we wrote our bites off as ant bites, or sometimes even thought they looked like spider bites.
    It wasn't until we noticed bites on our then 3 yr old in late October that we grew concerned.
    Now of course, I realize he only got the bites when he slept in our bed, not his. At the time though I had no idea why he had them. He had a horrible reaction to the bites and I noticed them when I picked him up from daycare one day. They were ALL OVER his body. Big red welps.
    I asked the director to come look at them, and I wasn't angry, but thought maybe she could have an exterminator check out the playground the kids were playing on.
    On November 11, 2010 we caught a flight home to the U.S. to visit family and friends for the Thanksgiving holiday.
    We returned to Germany on November 29. We got in early and of course were jet lagged so we returned home and my youngest son and I took a nap on my bed. Upon awaking I noticed two very small brownish bugs on my comforter and I squished them with my finger. I asked my husband to help me change the sheets because they freaked me out a little but didn't think much of them.
    They must have been starving because we were gone so long and willing to come out in the daylight.
    That night we went to bed and at 4 AM I was awakened by my dog. She had stayed with friends and God knows what they fed her because she had gone to the bathroom all over the house. I jumped out of bed furious of course that I had to clean this disgusting mess. As I was switching the lights on and my husband was putting on his glasses, he told me to come and take a look at out bed. There were a couple more of the bugs that I had seen earlier that day.
    This was not normal to be and obviously I freaked out at the thought of bugs in my bed. I decided to google Bed Bugs and found this site among others. There was no mistaking them. They were definitely bed bugs.
    We started immediately, with the best intentions, of purging these little suckers out of our bed but were of course new to the process, not entirely sure how serious it was, and we made some mistakes. We wrapped out mattress with plastic, husband duck taping it up, and we moved it to our living room because I didn't want to sleep in the bedroom. Our sheets we had discarded earlier were in our laundry room and that's where we put these ones to wash as well. Once we moved the mattress we found more. Not too many, considering sever infestation pictures I've seen, but a few here and there. Some were dead, some were skeletons, we found a few alive. We spent hours sucking up everylast nook and cranny of the bed and husbankd took it completely apart. Even when he undid bolts he thought he saw what could be eggs and sucked them out as well. His intentions at the time were to caulk up the crevices the next day.
    We slept in the living room that night, not really aware that the suggested method is to stay in the room and use yourselves as bait. Regardless, the next day we went into the bedroom and husband saw new eggs where he had sucked them out. I was horrified, did more research and probably overreacted, but decided to immediately throw out our bedroom set. We had the set for less than a year and the entire thing cost us approx. $4,000.00. I cried as my husband broke it and our closet, etc. down to get rid of it. We placed everything in the yard quite a ways out from the house until the junkyard could come and haul it away. It had snowed for days before we arrived and the temperature had dropped quite low so we weren't worried about them surviving and coming in the house. (if there were any on what we put out) It all had to go because I could be sure of where they were.
    Hours upon hours of reading and being horrified at the information I found on bed bugs. We called an exterminator who had to come pick up a bug sample to ensure what it was. That took two days. He returned and confirmed it was bed bugs, and scheduled an appt a week out to come and spray (or whatever he did. It's difficult to know what they used because I don't speak German very well) For that week my husband and I both took leave from work to do as much to the house as we could. We had only noticed the bugs in our room, and then I noticed a dead on in my youngest sons room. I think the day he napped with me it might have hitched a ride on the stuffed animal we slept with. I could see no sign of them anywhere else, and our oldest son who had a loft upstairs was not affected at all. No bites and no sign of them for him. I wasn't taking chances though. We spent the week taking every item that could be washed to the laundry mat so we could dry things on the highest settings and do larger loads. We took down curtains to ensure they were done as well. We steam cleaned all the carpets, the couches, the recliners. What couldn't be washed I went over for hours with a my hair dryer hoping the heat would kill any eggs. Everyone's clothes were bagged. We changed into clothes near our front door fresh out of bags. I wasn't worried about bringing more home from somewhere, but I was worried about taking them into my car at the time.
    My husband and I slept on an air mattress back in our bedroom and we put tape down as an outline around our bed. We never caught any in the tape. We also set the alarm once or twice a night to wake up because I wanted to see if we could catch any. December 8th, I believe, was our first visit from the pest control folks. We had been inspecting the house long enough by then that I told him I thought we just needed bedrooms done because I could find no trace of them anywhere. Also, my laundry room since that's where the sheets were put initially. He did also walk around and do an inspection of the house for them. He found nothing but was pleased that we had gotten rid of all the furniture in our bedroom. I think it made the process easier since I think this is where they nested really. He did his thing, and we came home and for two days I saw nothing and felt hopeful. Then, my husband and I caught a glimpse of two of them (at different times) crawling up our wall, near the floor board. I started crying and my husband told me to calm down. The pest control guy had said that the spray would bring them out, and after they came out they would die.
    During this time, we weren't noticing new bites, and nothing was in our tape so things seemed to be positive, but it was draining. Mentally; Emotionally; Physically.
    I was very open about talking about what we were going through with people. It wasn't something I was embarrased about. It wasn't my fault after all and I felt like other people needed to be educated. People were very supportive. I believe we only had one instance where a co-worker of my husbands didn't want to sit next him anymore (ignorant fool). I was so depressed though. I didn't know what to do about Christmas and I cried frequently from the stress. I visited this page all day long and my husband finally demanded I stop going on the internet and this site. I usually had panick attacks after reading posts and he said to me, you've read everything you can read, we're doing everything we can do, so stop upsetting yourself and please don't go on the sites anymore. It was hard but I did what he said. It helped actually. I stopped seeing all of the worse case scenarios. I felt confident a week before Christmas to get out our decorations. I was sure the bedbugs were not in our living room etc, and we hadn't seen any sign of them since the two we found crawling along slowly ready to die. The bug control folks said they had to do at least two sprays, one had to be 2 wks after the first one. They came out on December 21. My husband and I cautiously removed the tape from around our bed. The following day I had a blood smudge and found the culprit dead under my pillow. I had a panick attack. I made my husband put back up the tape. January came and was still just as stressful, February was much of the same. By March I began to slowly feel more confident that the bugs were gone. We had removed the tape and we stopped bagging our clothes. In April my husband had to leave for a few months and I was still paranoid, but we bought a new bed. We still can't help but check ourselves for bites..... we definitely don't travel the same way, rooms are always inspected and when we get home clothes go straight in the wash and dryer and suitcases are inspected. But a year later, as I'm pulling out my Christmas decorations, I can't help inspecting everything as I pull it out of the boxes even though I know I inspected it before putting it away. It's been a horrible horrible even that I wouldnj't wish on anyone, but we have not seen any bugs, or had any bites since the Nov 21. I happy to say we have been bedbug free for over 11 months. So stay strong everyone! Be positive.... keep with it, and it will pass. Do what you need to do to get rid of those bugs and save your sanity. You are all in my thoughts and prayers, I'm sad that it has to be due to bedbugs. I wish you all a happy and bedbug free 2012

2. punaisedelit

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 11:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

AbugMess - 2 hours ago  » 
    So stay strong everyone! Be positive.... keep with it, and it will pass. Do what you need to do to get rid of those bugs and save your sanity. You are all in my thoughts and prayers, I'm sad that it has to be due to bedbugs. I wish you all a happy and bedbug free 2012

Thank you for your post , very inspirational

3. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 16:02:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting reading your account as it coincides with our experience in respect of time frame. Unfortunately despite moving house After losing all our possessions to this blight, they still came with us when we moved. Had treatment again in new home and we went for some months without much signs and dared to hope that was that but only today I have a huge hive break out on my derriere of all places! Also my nephew stayed overnight and has been scratching at his arms. I may be being a little paranoid and I have to say that the hive disappeared as quick as it appeared bur I am getting so anxious due to the time of year. Christmas was such a nightmare last year and it has been such a hard journey to this point.
    You should take comfort that you have your husband who has gone through this with you. I am on my own with my daughter and I need to keep it together as I nearly lost her through all this when I got so consumed by the bed bugs, she became frightened of my reactions and left to live with her father. Everyone felt I was over reacting as no one i know has had any direct experience of these bugs. I struggle daily to get a perspective and long for a time when they are not the first thing on My mind when I wake and last thing I think about before I (hopefully) fall asleep. I take a little comfort from the fact that inspections show up very little signs of activity. Have had passive monitors in place for 5 months and no signs. Regular bed inspections reveal no signs either bur this all pales to insignificance when I suddenly get a
    spot or an itch. Thanks again for sharing your story and hope Christmas is as it should be this year for us all.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 20:14:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing your story!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. sooverit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 21:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you so much for sharing!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,816 posts in 49,812 topics over 154 months by 21,801 of 22,267 members. Latest: Purplebrain, MrBedbug, Pioneer47