A web developer's approach to bedbugs

(5 posts)
  1. gluejar

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 21:40:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I wrote this blog post about my approach to bedbugs.

My thesis is that we need to focus not on avoiding bedbug contact, but rather on eliminating bedbug habitat. In particular, I think that platform beds create great bedbug habitat. I'd welcome feedback!

Also have videos from a USB microscope- highly recommended!

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 21:50:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I (who's in IT) really liked your blog post and the IT security analogy. While your specific tactic might not work for everyone (a good systems person would then strategize what would work, and you also have the plug for a good pro) I (not an expert) believe that you "get it". Bravo!

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. gluejar

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 23:41:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Ci!

On Hacker News I got a comment that "you should just use an exterminator- it worked for me, both times", which I had a good laugh at. It's like the old joke about the guy who can quit smoking anytime he wants to- he's done it lots of times. "

Even on this site, which is one of the most informative anywhere, there's much more discussion of of eradication than of prevention and maintenance. Everyone wants an easy one-shot treatment, but TANSTAAFL!

I'm certainly recommending to my landlord (a friend) that he consult a PCO when we move out, but also to put extra work into sealing cracks, etc. It's a minor infestation, after all.

4. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 23:45:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Your post was eagerly read by my geek husband who asked me to get the USB microscope for his birthday. We both agree that it was helpful (and I secretly thank you for getting through to him in a way I could not).

5. gluejar

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 20:58:10
    #

Login to Send PM

kannon_bosatsu, I'm glad my story was useful, and have fun with the USB microscope!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46