Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

A theory about "pimple" bites

(4 posts)
  1. BrownEyes

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Jan 21 2019 16:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I discovered I had bed bugs in December and have since had a chemical and a heat treatment. When I initially was bitten, I had huge, really itchy welts all over my arms and shoulders.

Since the heat treatment, I've placed a lot of my clothes in plastic or space bags and am treating my linens, towels, and clothes to daily heat treatments in the dryer just to be safe.

Also, since the treatments, I haven't had any itchy welts. Nor have I seen any bed bugs. (The exterminator checked the apartment post-treatment after 2 weeks and gave it a thumbs up.)

I have, however, been getting pimples on my arms, neck and back. They are usually just a lone new one here and there, is not itchy, and sometimes has pus and turns into a scab. I do have sensitive skin and typically break out in the winter from wearing itchy fabrics like wool. However, when this started happening I got worried that these were bites. So I searched this forum and found that others have had similar experiences. Weirdly, I also felt stings randomly on my skin but I know that you normally don't feel the actual bite of bed bugs as they inject a numbing agent when they do bite you.

Then I realized what could be happening. With throwing fabric in the dryer daily that is dry to begin with, the amount of lint on my clothes, sheets and the apt in general is nuts. And it could be that the pimples are a reaction to this. A few times, I would feel a sting on my arm, and I would look down and find the tiniest piece of lint there.

Since realizing this, I've thrown extra lint sheets in the dryer and cut down a bit on my dryer use. I still have pimples here and there. But I don't feel stings on my skin anymore. I also switched my body lotion to an excema skin one to help strengthen the skin's barrier.

Does anyone think this could be happening to them as well?

2. anodyne194

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 22 2019 22:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

Did the lotion help at all? Do you put it on after the shower?

I am in a similar situation where I have been getting some "bites" well after treatment... some, at least, which look pimple-like and with the winter temps, the high heat dryer and dry air I would not be surprised if this is playing some role!

I also suspect there may be some psychological component to this where I am really scared I still have bugs and so my brain generates itching sensation in places it wouldn't otherwise and maybe it's even generating bumps.. the mind/body connection is more complex than many people realize.

All the best

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 9:41:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Increased skin sensitivity, phantom crawling bug feelings and increased break outs are all fairly common after dealing with bed bugs. Give it some time, it should go back to normal.

4. BrownEyes

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 19:58:29
    #

Login to Send PM

anodyne194 - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi there,
    Did the lotion help at all? Do you put it on after the shower?
    I am in a similar situation where I have been getting some "bites" well after treatment... some, at least, which look pimple-like and with the winter temps, the high heat dryer and dry air I would not be surprised if this is playing some role!
    I also suspect there may be some psychological component to this where I am really scared I still have bugs and so my brain generates itching sensation in places it wouldn't otherwise and maybe it's even generating bumps.. the mind/body connection is more complex than many people realize.
    All the best

Yes, I think the lotion is helping! I use Eucrin Excema Relief Creme. I also switched from my woolen coat to using a puffer jacket. Its less scratchy on the skin. I also switched to bar soap as liquid body soap can be more abrasive.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,275 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl