Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

A seriously belated hello...and heartfelt thanks!

(1 post)
  1. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 2:37:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone!

Melanie from Ohio here. It feels strange to be introducing myself after all this time, because I feel like I've known some of you for ages. You see, I've been here...silently perusing the forums as a guest... off and on for more than four years. What can I say? I'm an introvert.

We discovered bed bugs in the spring of 2011 after we moved to a new city. Without going into the woeful details of our financial situation at that time (two properties, two house payments, and a tanked real estate market – need I say more?) we felt our best choice at that particular moment was to do it ourselves. And we were successful - due mainly to what I learned here and through the resource links to other credible information sources.

Happily living bed bug-free for almost four years now!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I'm NOT recommending going the DIY route by any stretch of the imagination! My advice is always to find a knowledgeable PCO to do professional treatment from the get-go. If we ever have to go through this again, I would most definitely hire a pro.

So, this is really more of a shout out/deeply felt expression of gratitude to so many of you who unknowingly helped me through one of the most difficult periods of my life.

NoBugs – Thank you for your seemingly tireless efforts to create and maintain this site, and for your exemplary commitment to disseminating accurate information in a responsible and ethical way. It's a credit to you that some of the best and brightest in the field contribute to this forum.

Lou, Winston, and the other entos on the forum - It amazes me how much time you spend sharing your valuable expertise so freely with complete strangers. Plus, I so appreciate how you serve up clear information and sage advice – often with a dash of wit to break the tension. What a tremendous public service!

Paul, both Davids, KillerQueen, and other pros – I would be remiss if I didn't thank you for the same

And to all you prolific non-pro posters...Cilecto, Richard, TAOT, AbsolutelyFreaking, Louise, and Robinsmom...just to name a few (there are WAY too many to name, so consider yourself included) – You're the “first-responders” in so many cases, and your contributions are so beneficial. Your words of encouragement, efforts to point newbies toward pertinent information, and reminders to “wait for a pro” are immeasurably helpful to someone in crisis. It's one (highly advisable) thing to get help from a pro, but it's a precious gift to find others who know how you feel, have been through what you're going through, and are willing to reach out in support. Your posts reinforce the notion that none of us “regular folks” are alone. Now I am hoping to do the same.

So thank you all. Please consider this one big virtual hug!

Melanie

(I know and understand the risks associated with sharing my actual name/location. But, one of my goals is to combat the stigma associated with bed bugs. So, I am trying to be the change I want to see in the world. This is not to say self-disclosure is a more noble choice or even a reasonable choice for others – it's just what's right for me.)

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982