A Puzzle for the Experienced among us

(4 posts)
  1. NeedaBiggerBag

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:32:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I moved into a new apartment (small studio) a month ago. For the first two weeks I wasn't there, stayed with a friend instead in order to get work done on a project.

When I did finally settle in, I found what I thought was a small moth or beetle on a chair - didn't think much of it, since it was broad daylight. But the next day I found a similar 'beetle' on my ankle after getting out of the shower, so I caught it and looked it up on the web. Then I went to a pest control guy to confirm - they were both adult bb.

Of course I contacted my management company, who arranged for an exterminator, and I started washing/bagging my clothes (per this site's excellent info). But here's my puzzle:

I had never had any problems in my old place, and since I started to see these before I had a chance to sleep here, I assume they were already here? But where did they come from so quickly?

I have no bites, which I know can be normal. But I've also seen no other evidence, such as bloodstains, fecal matter, etc. The exterminator came and sprayed, and said he didn't see any either, although I don't know how thoroughly he inspected everything. They'll come back to spray again in 10 or 11 days.

Yet despite seeing no other evidence, I keep finding live adults. Always in broad daylight, usually nowhere near the bed or where I spend most time, one every couple days. For example, I've found a couple in the bathroom, a couple in the entrance foyer, one on the wall across the room from my bed. I've found one or two dead adults too, yet this was before the exterminator came. I'm keeping them all as evidence, but I'm really puzzled as to what this means. Haven't found any dead ones since the exterminator sprayed, but a couple more live ones.

Everything I've read indicates seeing the bugs themselves is rare, and during daylight even rarer. And if they ARE this brazen, it often indicates a huge or desperate infestation, which can't be the case since I just moved in and don't see any other signs yet. The exterminator was puzzled too (he shrugged).

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:47:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Check with all adjoining neighbours I am 95% certain at least one of them has an issue that has now become your issue since moving in. To help do that there are communication sheets here:

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/spreadtheword.html

You simply don't get bedbugs in bathrooms without the source being adjoining (don't forget the floor above and below as well).

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 14:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear need,

When attampting to resolve pest problems sometimes we need to think about "what's possible", identify the possible scenarios and then see which of these options best fits the situation at hand.

> As DC points out there is the adjoining unit scenario. Since you're finding live adults as well as dead ones, which occurred prior to your unit's treatment, it is possible that these are intruders from adjoining units where possibly a treatment may have already taken place.

> It is also possible that these critters are remnants from a previous infestation that was present within your unit prior to your occupancy. If well fed from the previous resident some of these may have had the opportunity to develop into adults.

> That you are only finding adults is an interesting observation. Normally, we'd expect a "wild population" of such pests to have more immatures than adults present.

> We are of course totally discounting the possibility that you picked them up from somewhere and we need to think of any other possibilities as well.

Let us know if any other questions, hope this helps ! paul b.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 14:52:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Your apartment may have had a pre-existing infestation. We've had people post who moved into "renovated" apartments (fresh paint, new flooring) that hid bugs. Here's a post where I recently advised someone who realized they'd been lied to by a landlord (with links to other useful threads). http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/recommended-vacancy-period-after-first-bedbug-treatment#post-108488

It's possible that you picked them up in transit or from your stay at the friend (but the occurrances throughout the house lead me to think not). However, I would put this on the landlord. Do not admit to anything that they could use against you to deny or charge you for treatment.

In addition to what Paul and David said above, my non-expert hunch is that foggers (bombs) were used in your unit or a neighbor's, causing the bugs to scatter.

You can check (but do not post) your apartment against bedbugregistry.com. It's not an authoritative source, but you might find some interesting clues, if people have posted about your building or unit.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,318 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto