Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

A PCO that treats only once?

(6 posts)
  1. bbr

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jun 19 2018 15:20:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I read an article on this site that if a pco takes does only one treatment, you shouldn't consider them. I talked with a pco and they said that 90% of the time they only have to treat once, and 10% of the time they treat a second time. Since they emphasize only treating once, should I avoid them?

2. Pattycake

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jun 19 2018 20:35:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I would. It takes two weeks for eggs to hatch. Then what?

3. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jun 19 2018 21:53:17
    #

Login to Send PM

What kind of treatment is it - chemical, heat?

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jun 19 2018 22:19:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Pattycake - 1 hour ago  » 
    I would. It takes two weeks for eggs to hatch. Then what?

So, you're saying they don't kill any eggs on the first day? They don't kill pregnant females on day one? But then the day after the treatment a pregnant female who survives, lays eggs and two weeks later all hell breaks loose?

The egg hatching info never made any sense and those reading about it shouldn't repeat it as law. While eggs take as little as 7-10 days to hatch you shouldn't state that another visit is absolutely necessary. Only a clown (PCO) would assume hes treating only for live bugs and skipping over the fact that eggs could/should be present. Everything gets killed during the first process. Yes - Eggs can be missed but so can all sizes of bugs out of the egg.

If poison (some even designed to kill eggs) is applied to "common areas" where an adult female would typically lay eggs .. those eggs would be destroyed. If eggs hatch (and they can hatch anytime after the first treatment. Be it 3 hours, the next day, or 11 days) the bugs would typically hatch right into poison if the product is applied correctly. That would kill hatching bugs after the tech leaves.

Bottom line - There is no magic to it and you can't say that eggs hatch in 2 weeks without knowing when said eggs were laid. Hopefully all eggs and reproductive females are dealt with on the first treatment.

That being said - I always do 2 treatments so I get another look at the place and apply more product in the even something was missed. Plus I get a residual product to work a bit longer after I'm gone and the residence appears good. Even with a rate of 95-99% success on the first visit I always schedule 2 treatments.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jun 20 2018 7:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

When I outsource the job the guys that I use have consistently knocked everything out in one treatment. But as KQ points out I am on hand to have a look at the situation after treatment.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jun 20 2018 23:42:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I would ask whether they inspect carefully before deciding not to do that second treatment. (Since they do a second treatment in 10% of cases, that may be so.) If so, they may be doing a very careful job as BigDummy suggests. It’s possible.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,559 posts in 47,916 topics over 148 months by 21,109 of 21,448 members. Latest: urka1234, bb111, Paranoidforevs