A new course of action

(5 posts)
  1. bugoffnow

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2011 22:25:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all, I have been doing a lot of reading, research and some action. Quite a bit of failures, frustration and disappointment. There are so many unknowns out there. I thought I would change things up and tell you my ideas which hopefully can help you.

In my opnion, its almost impossible to get rid of these bedbugs so I decided to control and focus most of my energy in preventing the people from getting bitten.

A family member of mine is highly sensitive to the bite of bb's, the puncture hole and red spot appears very quickly on the body. We tried really hard to find these bb's on the bed during the day and night. Couldn't see a thing, so I bought a crawling insect monitor (those glue patches inside a box). One day I looked inside and saw a small little spec at the edge of the glue strip, I used a magnifying glass and it looked really close but I still couldn't tell what it was. I brought it to a doctor and he used some specialized magnifying glass and confirmed it was a bed bug. So now I got baby ones too along with the adult ones. When you are dealing with pests this small you can pretty much forget about terminating them. I had to write off the mattress and box spring and frame.

Part 1. So I bought a new metal bed frame, but no mattress or box spring. I bought a 38 x 75 peice of plywood and sleeping on top of that and a thick blacket. It is not super comfy but I am trying to come up with a remdy for people to sleep and easily clean/clear off any bed infestation. If I get bitten while sleeping I would quickly wash and dry the blankets. I have a heat gun so I could easily clear off the metal frame and piece of plywood.

Part 2 of my course of action is I bought 2 sizes of plastic containers for each leg of the bed frame. I coated both containers inside and outside with baby power so this pretty much is the same result of the climb up interceptor (prevents the bed bugs from climbing up the bed legs.

Part 3, I mixed insecticide solution with vaseline and applied it to the bed legs. The idea behind this is that the bb would not be able to climb up vaseline and also if they did the insecticide solution will kill them.

I have the beds away from the walls and I make sure that my pajamas always stay on the bed and do not contact anywhere else to prevent bb transportation. I also bought some DE food grade powder but haven't figured out how to use/implement it.

So far its been a few weeks since I implemented these techniques and my sensitive family member has not been bitten since.

This current bed seat up looks mickey mouse, but if it can keep bb's off then its all that matters.

Does anyone else have innovative ideas and/or comments to share ?

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 24 2011 13:25:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Your approach comprises "isolation" of your bed. Many people deem isolation to be controversial. For familiarization with the issues, see:

http://bedbugger.com/2006/11/02/faq-how-do-i-protect-my-bed-from-bed-bugs-part-i

and

http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/isolation .

3. Saturn

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 24 2011 14:10:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, while I personally feel that isolating the bed may be appropriate in some situations, it is not necessary to forgo a mattress. Encasements provide nearly the same ease of inspection and are much more comfortable.
    I also want to say that total bed bug elimination is not impossible. Sure it isn't easy, but I don't think anyone should give up on getting rid of their infestation. It can be done!

4. makesmenuts

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 24 2011 14:16:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree about the mattress. I'm practicing isolation of my bed at the moment, just because the thought of getting bit any more disgusts me, plus we've possibly knocked down most/all(?) of the infestation in that room. We threw out the original bedding/bed/frame, as it was infested, but we double-encased the new bedding as soon as it came in and have only a metal frame and simple metal headboard vs. the elaborate wood bed we had before. You'll be much more comfy if you opt for properly encased bedding (I went double because of my pets) than sleeping on a board and can still stay away from the BBs.

5. bugoffnow

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 28 2011 23:27:20
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc - 4 days ago  » 
    Your approach comprises "isolation" of your bed. Many people deem isolation to be controversial. For familiarization with the issues, see:
    http://bedbugger.com/2006/11/02/faq-how-do-i-protect-my-bed-from-bed-bugs-part-i
    and
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/isolation .

I see your logic, but our situation is kind of too late already. It started in my room and became infested. The buggers were running around at night on various furniture. I tried to clean up and then get rid of the infestation in my room. I left that room and went to sleep in another room. So the bb eventually found another prey downstairs who is highly sensitive to their bites. It made this person's life very hard so we thought it was in our best interest to isolate the beds. We had so many unknowns that it was really mindblowing. When the highly sensitive person was bit, we got them a new frame and box spring. We didnt want to throw out the mattress so we got a clear mattress bag and bagged/taped it up. In addition, we bought a good Allerase encasement bag and double bagged it.

http://shop.aller-ease.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=15

Two days later and the person showed up 3 little bite marks in a row on their leg. From this, I would assume the bb got through the double bag encasement. That was the final straw and we threw out the mattress and started this plywood bed. We plan on getting another mattress in the future, but right now we are preying these climb up interceptors will stop them from getting up the bed. In my opinion, once the mattress/box spring is infested its really hard to completely clear it. We cant afford to keep buying and throwing out mattresses either so for now we are waiting and see if our latest set up holds up. So far its been about 3 weeks and no bites to report. Its not the most comfortable sleep but better than being bit. I will give updates as how the battle goes.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams