Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

A new Animal Planet series needs YOUR help!

(11 posts)
  1. KateBod

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 24 2010 8:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

The makers of a new Animal Planet series called ‘Extreme Infestations’ is looking for case studies and pest control experts. The series is being produced by Darlow Smithson Productions, a leading TV production company based in London (England), and focuses on the natural history and science of pests. To illustrate this, the production team are searching for real life dramatic examples any type of pest problem – including bedbugs, mice, cockroaches, spiders, termites, ants, bats, moles, bees, wasps, bats, frogs, woodworm, snakes, birds, racoons, skunks etc.

Do you have any stories of extreme infestations that drove you or a resident crazy in their own home? If so, please pass on details of the infestation, along with the name and contact details of the people it affected. Alternatively, please contact the homeowner on their behalf and pass on Darlow Smithson’s contact details (see below).

Likewise, if you uncover any extreme infestations, please also get in touch with the production company as soon as possible. They will then ask for the contact details of the homeowner. A key ingredient to this series is home video footage, so they ask pest control professionals and homeowners / residents to film the evidence of the infestation as it occurs. Any footage that supports a case study that appears in the series will be paid for.

This promises to be a fascinating series that will reveal some of the science behind pest control, bringing awareness to the wider public. The series will be broadcast internationally. Any help you can give the production team in finding shocking, fascinating stories of infestations will be gratefully received.

Please contact:

Kate Boddington
    Tel: +44 (0) 207 482 7027
    kate.boddington@darlowsmithson.com

Rebecca North
    rebecca.north@darlowsmithson.com

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 24 2010 8:34:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Talk to David Cain over there who runs http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/ and hangs out here quite a bit.

David has many a tale of BB woe and is one of the UKs foremost BB experts.

Jim

3. KateBod

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 24 2010 8:54:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Spideyjg I'll check him out!

We are looking for US based stroies too though so if you have an pointer that would be great.

Thanks

Kate

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 24 2010 10:51:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I just had a chat with Kate on the phone and it certainly seems like this is a project we should all try and support. They are keen on education and awareness which we all know is so essential in stopping the rise of this issue.

I hope to meet with them in the next few days to see how we can help and more importantly how we can use this opportunity to help people who may not be able to access the services we offer without support.

I will keep people informed.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 24 2010 12:53:47
    #

Login to Send PM

In New York... check out Lou Sorkin BSE at The American Museum of Natural History for some interesting footage.

I can help arrange some contacts with Bed Bug Detection K9 companies... if you want to document the use of dogs for identifying infestations of bed bugs, termites, carpenter ants or other pests in one of your story lines.

6. KateBod

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 4:58:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi DougSummersMS

The offer to help with contacts for Bed Bug Detection K9 companies would be great.

You can email me on kate.boddington@darlowsmithson.com.

I have come across Lou's name but not yet contacted him, so thanks for the tip off.

Many thanks

7. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 11:36:48
    #

Login to Send PM

how can i help??

8. KateBod

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jun 18 2010 5:48:42
    #

Login to Send PM

We are very keen to blow the myths apart, and expose the bed bug problem as something that can affect anyone.

We understand that the spread of bedbugs is on the increase internationally, particularly in urban environments, and also due to changes in insecticide certifications and resistence increase, and also the increases of foreign travel. Perhaps also because not everyone reacts to the bites and so are not alerted of the problem in the early stages.

We are keen to find a case study that can illustrate that ‘anyone’ can be at risk, and are looking into not only the physical impact but also the psychological consequences of infestations.

The case studies will be handled in a sensitive manner.

Darlow Smithson is a respected documentary production company who make series for National geographic, the BBC, Discovery Channel, PBS, Animal Planet and more. You can check us out at http://www.darlowsmithson.com

We are in the research stages at present, and are talking to pest controllers and entomologists to get the best scientific facts together as possible regarding the natural history/ lifecycle / migration / nesting / feeding habits etc of bed bugs, and also the science behind the methods of control.

This will be something that will help educate people internationally, banishing the stigma, and could help to prevent or reduce the bed bug problem world wide.

If you feel that you have a suitable case, please do get in touch.

Kate Boddington
    kate.boddington@darlowsmithson.com

9. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 16:46:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Animal Planet's new mini-series "Infested" (featuring a true bed bug story) to air on Sunday, January 9th at 8:00pm, e/p

~Lauren

10. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 20:04:06
    #

Login to Send PM

KateBod - 7 months ago  » 
    A key ingredient to this series is home video footage, so they ask pest control professionals and homeowners / residents to film the evidence of the [dramatic, extreme] infestation as it occurs.

A *wise* strategic decision by the production company .

11. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 7 2011 10:31:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I can be contacted for a Canadian perspective.

Sean (bedbug@telus.net)
    Entomologist / Pest Professional
    The Bed Bug Resource

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

285,272 posts in 47,474 topics over 146 months by 20,939 of 21,246 members. Latest: AT13, miteneedhelp, Crumbsornot