a lone wolf or a reinfestation?

(6 posts)
  1. scubabugged

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 30 2014 15:58:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello. I've never posted here but I've read a lot of posts since finding BUGS last year.

Sorry for this long post but I need answers here so any input is appreciated!

I found bed bugs in my apartment more than a year ago. The landlord was good about it and called PCO right away.

It turns out that the #@#$@s in the apartment below me brought them in when they moved in the year before and were "treating it" themselves so they eventually came up the wall.

We were both supposed to get three treatments but again the losers downstairs didn't prepare for the first treatment so everything got kind of messed up and only my apt got the full treatment. The PCO basically said he was in a bind and actually recommended moving. He told us the infestation downstairs was very bad and since the building is huge and over 100 years old if people aren't serious about getting rid of them it's difficult.

Well, a full year later and seeing no bugs and getting no welts (I react quite strongly to bites) .. I started to relax a bit and put clothes and furniture away.

The other morning I woke up to see a juvenile bed bug crawling across my blanket.

I of course panicked, tore apart the room, and vacuumed everything. I didn't find a trace of them and it's been a few days and I haven't seen any bites. I'm itchy like crazy but i'm pretty sure it's psychosomatic.

Is it possible that it was just a one off or am I fooling myself?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 30 2014 22:38:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible to have just one bed bug. It could have been picked up by you or a guest somewhere else, or could have come from a neighbor.

If you see another, post a photo: many people who are sure they found one are wrong.

Also, monitors may help you detect if there are more. See this FAQ on bed bug monitors.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. scubabugged

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 1 2014 0:45:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply. I am panicking a bit less now.

I'm 99.99999% sure the one I found was a BB because I have a jar of dead ones in various stages of life for comparison.

I tried telling myself it was some sort of deformed nymph roach (I'm blessed with the odd one of these as well :\) or even the fabled bat bug because the property owner was messing around on the roof of the building I thought he may have chased some bats away. But I know that the more likely explanation is bugs coming up from downstairs.

It was just so strange waking up and finding one exposed in broad daylight (also, it appeared unfed) considering when we first discovered them I was covered in welts (I thought they came from an allergic reaction to a new working environment).. fragmented thought..

I've been more or less expecting them to come back because the PCO said reinfestation was basically a given considering the downstairs people, for reasons far beyond me, do not care so much... but after a full year, I just figured...

I haven't set up monitors yet because I basically dismantled my bedroom and threw hoards of crap out. I do not have a bed or mattress .. just a couple pieces of foam and blankets on the floor. I do have some valuable mid-century modern wood dressers that I keep empty so they're easy to inspect and I'm actually planning on moving them into storage until we move because if they became infected I would probably burn them down..

4. scubabugged

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 1 2014 0:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Also (sorry) my landlord (who is a bit sneaky and tends to 'play dumb') caught me on the street the other day and was reminding me to "keep the place clean" because she "can't afford any more treatments". I thought it was strange enough but didn't put too much thought into it... but after finding the bug the other day I'm wondering if downstairs complained again and she brought in pest control to do downstairs on the down low :\

I know from experience if they do downstairs and not us the bugs flee up into my apartment.

If this is the case I just hope it's a small population of sterile, poisoned, bugs.

5. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 1 2014 2:23:17
    #

Login to Send PM

It appears that you are dealing with the all too familiar combination of a bad landlord and decrepit apartment building. Moving sounds like the best option, provided you are 100% certain you do not have any bugs in your apartment that could hitchhike with you to your new place.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  6. scubabugged

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 4 2014 1:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for the replys.. i'm called the pco yesterday to see if they've made any service calls recently.. the receptionist had left for the weekend but he told me to call back monday.. hoping for answers.. i hope they don't take the privacy route

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie