A LIST OF RESOURCES FOR BEDBUGGERS IN CHICAGO

(18 posts)
  1. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 8 2010 17:53:03
    #

Login to Send PM

hi guys

this post is for future chicagoans who search on the site. and please, other windy city denizens -update and add to this list!! its a list of all the stuff i wish i had known when i first got the wee beasties and was cycling between panic, exhaustion, and confusion. this board rocks for supporting the panic. the exhaustion will subside once you start sleeping again (and you will). i offer this for the confusion. . .

WHO SPECIALIZES IN BED BUG TREATMENT IN CHICAGO?

There are many PCOs in Chicago, and I'm sure there are many that are great at bed bug control, so don't take these as recommendations, just information. That said, two firms that have specialized bed bug teams (that i know of) are
    A ALERT
    http://www.bedbugcentral.com/bedbugfree/profile.cfm?id=69

SMITHEREEN
    http://www.smithereen.com/site/epage/37524_596.htm

As a bonus, SMITHEREEN has just begun offering thermal using TEMP AIRE equipment.
    Always check the FAQ on "Choosing a PCO" before interviewing anybody, and please current or future chicagoans, add to the PCO list if you know of other Chicago area PCOs with bed bug teams

ARE CANINE BED BUG INSPECTIONS AVAILABLE IN CHICAGO?

Why yes they are.

Doug Summers says this team also follows up with visual confirmation from the handlers.
    http://www.canineinspection.com/index.html

I personally used this team (Scooby and Linda), who were both nice as pie and seemed accurate, but did not do visual confirmation. just fyi.
    http://www.bedbuginspectors.com/

WHERE DO I GET DRY ICE IN CHICAGO IF I WANT TO MAKE A DIY BEDBUG MONITOR?

Surprisingly, there aren't a whole lot of places in Chicago who sell dry ice. However, I've used it in cooking (never for bed bug monitoring, but dry ice is dry ice) and I've gotten it here.

Polar Ice Co Inc
    (866) 969-1815
    2308 W 21st Pl, Chicago, IL 60608

WHO SELLS DRY VAPOR STEAMERS?

This one is a pain. NO ONE sells them in Chicago -there are some vacuum and allergy shops at which you can order them and pick them up upon delivery to the shop, but really then you might as well get one online from the links here under "useful stuff" as delivery time will be the same.

WHO RENTS DRY VAPOR STEAMERS?

Clark-Devon hardware rents the white wing steamer. They are located <duh> at the corner of Clark and Devon on the north side.

WHO SELLS STERIFAB? DE? DDVP STRIPS? etc

Clark-Devon is the only place i found in the city who sells Sterifab in quantities less than a case. Fresh water DE and the appropriate bellows dusters you can get at Clark Devon or Gethsemane (also on Clark, in Andersonville, at Clark and Ridge). Hot Shot No Pest DDVP strips are carried at Home Depot, as are XL and XXL ziplock bags, 2 mm clear contractor bags, every type of caulk known to man, and the respirators you will need if you use DE. I love Home Depot. Btw, the Home Depot on North Avenue is open until midnight, you aren't really sleeping anyway, might as well go get supplies.

ITS LIKE A JILLION DEGREES BELOW ZERO, WHY CAN'T I JUST LEAVE STUFF OUTSIDE FOR THE WINTER?

Because you can't. Well, you CAN, but it might not kill all the bugs. Read the FAQ on cold. I know it seems wrong that we have to suffer through Chicago winter with no bed bug benefits, but there you have it, life is just unfair sometimes.

Again other chicagoans, please add to this list -and at risk of starting a rumble in my hometown, i'll add one more. . .

WHO HAS THE BEST PIZZA IN CHICAGO?

Spacca Napoli i know, i know, Great Lake Pizza was named best in the country, but I've eaten many a fine pizza at both places and those who crowned Great Lake as better simply got deliriously hungry form waiting in that long line and got it wrong. Great Lake ROCKS, but trust me, Spacca Napoli is where its at IF you can order the special burrata pizza (they only have it when they can get burrata flown in from italy, so call ahead and see if its available). If its summer and the patio is open for outdoor seating AND they have the burrata pizza, well then I'm sure I'll see you there

2. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jan 9 2010 16:05:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Great list wchicago!!! I wish I had this when I started two months ago! Luckily, my property management company was on top of things right away with a knowledgeable PCO who was able to answer many, many of my questions. His name is Lou at LFL Pest Control and they don't have a website, but according to Yahoo! they do specialize in senior residences and bedbugs:

http://local.yahoo.com/info-17179125-lfl-pest-control-and-association-incorporated-skokie?csz=Elmwood+Park%2C+IL+60707

Like wchicago, I am posting this for information. I really do like the guy, but you have to do the research and make sure that anyone your property management company/landlord uses or anyone you hire on your own is knowledgeable and right for your situation.

And this is not so much an addition, but a question. Does anyone know of places in Chicago that will Vikane or thermal a moving truck?

And finally, for some good ole pizza to help calm those bb jitters, I agree that you can't go wrong with Spacca Napoli! You can also try Antica on Clark. A very nice treat on a cold Chicago evening.

3. tiredofbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jan 9 2010 17:53:27
    #

Login to Send PM

wchicago you are oober cool! thanks for all the updates/information. I was wondering where I could find some dry ice.

Just FYI for other chicago people... A-Alert owner bought like 5 other places but kept their original names. The company called "Singer Sanitation" is also owned by the same people as A Alert.

Am I allowed to write a company that I would not recommend from personal experience?

I don't want to dirty a business' name or their reputation but I just thought maybe it would also be fair to know who to (possibly) avoid and save your time/money and pick the right PCO from the beginning.

anyways, let's keep fighting!!

4. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jan 11 2010 21:02:45
    #

Login to Send PM

hi tired!

i think its totally ok to write a personal review of a company you were displeased with, after all -folks do that on sites like yelp, angie's list, etc. all the time -and i bet it would be at least as helpful to fellow and future bb sufferers to know who wasn't good as to know who was. <--wow, horrid grammar, apologies.

and perspephone, if you find out who will use vikane/thermal on a moving truck in chicago please please post it. i haven't looked into it myself yet as i am not moving for another 6 months, but i totally want to know. and also -antica -YUM! i love that place.

and both of you seemed open to a meet-up-to-vent-about-the-evil-beasties and perhaps drink consolingly alcoholic beverages -i'll be PMing you both to try to set up a vent time soon! in the meantime, i wanted to put that up here in case there are chi-town lurkers on this site who would also like sympathy and drinking. PM me and i'll try to wrangle a meetup time/date.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 1:40:15
    #

Login to Send PM

tiredofbedbugs - 2 days ago  » 
    Am I allowed to write a company that I would not recommend from personal experience?

You can write about your personal experience with a company, whether it was positive or negative.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 1:44:57
    #

Login to Send PM

wchicago,

People have posted here about Smithereen. I know several people personally who had good experiences with them, though their posts may not be properly tagged in that set.

I would suggest not recommending companies unless you've used them (or you know of others who have, in which case you can link to these discussions where possible).

All reviews of Chicago PCOs should be tagged "Chicago PCOs," but many won't be.

7. tiredofbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 13:47:42
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for the permission to say... DONT use PEST ENDERS. They are NOT professional AT ALL. The exterminator is an entomologist that also comes to spray but when he first came he didn't even examine thoroughly. He spent about 30 minutes tops which included the examining and treating.

I kept getting bitten every single stupid day, never ceasing.
    Kept calling to have him come back which he did. Then about the 5th or 6th time back he walks in briskly, goes into the bedroom, looks at the bed frame and says "I don't mean to insult your intelligence but there are no bed bugs here. If you are getting bitten, it must be something else like fleas or soemthing"
    So I ask him "So in your opinion, you are saying there are absolutely no bb?" He says, "yes"

SO we complain to my management but they said "pest enders said you do not have bbs, there is nothing else we will do"
    So we (my bf and I) go to the office and show the manager the bites in which case he said ok we will call them back again"
    Then Pest Enders came back, sprayed the crap out of the place and then left again. Still kept getting bitten. Complained again to manager, then called Singer Sanitation.

Still battling with bbs. Hopefully the war will end soon.

bottom line: I do not recommend Pest Enders. They only care about money, they do NOT know anything about bed bugs. The stupid guy didn;t know anything about climb ups, K9 service, or what brand of encasement would be good. You know what he said when he recommended the encasements? He said we only needed one for the mattress since we won't be in close contact with the box spring.

I think I should forward him this forum/link site
    It's a shame that their internet site claims their expertise in bed bugs.

Dont be fooled chicagoans. Do NOT call Pest Enders. They do not end anything.

Thank you for your time

8. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 22:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

wchicago,

Still no luck on my search for thermal or vikane of a moving truck or a place you can take your things to to have it done in Chicago. I too will most likely be moving in 6 months and would like that as an option. The search continues. Perhaps DJames can invent a room sized PackTite. Wouldn't that be lovely???

And yes PM me about a Chi-town bb gripe fest. I would love to get together with some fellow sufferers and blow off some steam!

tired,

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. Dealing with these little bastards is hard enough when you have a good landlord and knowledgeable PCO in your corner. I can't imagine dealing with ignorance and incompetency issues on top of it. Hang in there and keep up the fight! You will win!

9. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 23:01:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Persephone86
    I believe that Sue or Carla at CDIS can refer you to a thermal provider.

I sent you a PM with the contact info.

Good luck

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jan 13 2010 0:30:11
    #

Login to Send PM

tiredofbedbugs,

Have you yourself seen bed bugs, or signs (fecal stains, shell casings, eggs)?

I know finding concrete evidence is very difficult, and it's fully possible that a human doing a brief inspection might not find some. It isn't clear from your post whether you have.

I am just wondering if you have confirmation that this is a case of bed bugs, outside of the PCO's inspection? Bites or suspected bites themselves are not evidence of bed bugs. They can be caused by other pests or other health conditions.

I see from another thread you had a positive alert from a bed bug sniffing k9, and I wonder if they confirmed the alert with a visual inspection, finding a bed bug?

And how long have you been reacting to bites? (Because having bed bugs for a longer period of time should make visible signs easier to spot.)

I am not saying any of this to defend the company you had an experience with, but just trying to fill in some of the blanks on this one.

11. tiredofbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jan 13 2010 12:54:04
    #

Login to Send PM

hello nobugs~
    when the 1st PCO came he said he found 2 bb's in my radiator (which runs along the wall) but never showed it to us... but i have never ever found anything that suggested we have bb's except bites. and these bites were everywhere! I have never ever experienced anything like this ever before, and I have lived in dorms, traveled staying at many different hotels... i just don't understand. Before finding information on the internet we actually switched sleeping from the bedroom to the couches hoping it would stop the biting. For a few days it was ok, then we got attacked like before on the bed as well.. For a while I wanted to think it was not bb's, but just thinking about the bites, always finding them in the morning--- i just don't know what else it would/could be.

12. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2010 11:53:17
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE- IS THERE A THERMAL PROVIDER IN THE CHICAGO AREA WHO WILL TREAT A MOVING TRUCK?:

Yes, yes there is! I've been researching this for a while and have come up with zilch, but thanks to Doug Summers above and Sue at Canine Detection & Inspection Services, I was able to track down a thermal provider in the Chicago area who will provide thermal on a moving truck. He is active in Indiana as well. Talked to him for a bit this morning and he's very nice and informative. He uses ThermaPure and really seems to know his stuff:

Greg Johns
    Statewide Pest Control
    312-240-9300

From what I gathered, you will need to provide your own truck (twice the size of all of your stuff for the heat to permeate) and a space big enough to park your truck and their truck for 5-6 hours for treatment. That might be an obstacle for some, but still very good news for Windy City folk who are looking to move!

13. twitchyscratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2010 14:03:51
    #

Login to Send PM

wchicago,

this is such a good idea! so helpful. i think i will write one up for toronto, i think it really is a great help.

(also i haven't been on the forums to respond to posts lately due to a heavy workload and sheer exhaustion/desperate weariness due to BBs and the prospect of a false-negative from a K9 unit)

thank you for posting this!

14. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Feb 23 2010 13:38:44
    #

Login to Send PM

just have to add that i have now used CDIS (canine detection and inspection team -the one referenced in the first post above that Doug Summers recommended) and they are GREAT. very professional, very kind, and they do indeed visually inspect in addition to using the dog (my prior canine inspection did not do visual confirmation, so i really wanted that for my second inspection). They are also licensed PCOs, so they know what to look for in terms of evidence. They were happy to talk about how they train with me. And Cooper (the border collie who did my inspection) is not only well-trained and focused, but also adorable so just an update to the canine inspection section above.

15. tiredofbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Mar 19 2010 12:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

update on the resources available for chicago residents!

I do not recommend Scooby for K9 services at all. I made the mistake of hiring them without knowing that a visual is not done.

When I asked them via email why it was not done, they asked questions like are you really a customer of ours because we can't release any type of information without you telling us your address.

why does it matter? i just asked them about their protocols and why they didnt do a visual.

anyways, don't hire them. They are a waste of money! ~ $350 or so for 3-5 minutes of their time (depending on how large your place is) with the handler just pointing to where the dog sniffed and gave a positive Id.

Go for CDIS.

16. chirunner

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jun 24 2010 22:29:17
    #

Login to Send PM

My landlord used A-Alert. They were difficult to schedule with - the people who came to my house and the GM were way easier to deal with than their scheduling person. I primarily worked over the phone w/ the GM who was totally willing to answer my 800 questions.....They were willing to spray without an inspection just based on my description of the bites. They were very thorough in providing instructions via email including removing all clothing, bedding, towels, pillows, etc and drying them for at least 1 hour and bagging after clean. They also said all drawers needed to be empty and they sprayed inside my nightstand, lamp, etc..flipped my couch upside down, and pulled every drawer out of my dressers. I dont think they sprayed my bathroom too bad but they really focused on upholstery and wicker items.

I thought they did a great job the first time. The second time, I felt like they were in and out and can't really remember if they were as thorough.

They sent the bill to my landlord but the cost was reasonable (??) based on a small 2 bedroom apartment (about 750-800sq ft).

The biggest problem is that they did not spray the other apartments or common areas. I'm not sure what discussion they had w/ the landlord about this.

I was bug free from Sept 2009 (first spray) to last week (mid-June 2010). I'm not sure if its from another apt (most likely?) or a stray from my sprays (I think somewhat unlikely). I talked to the first guy who came to my house (the very thorough one) and he said that sometimes they can treat one unit and it is successful if you catch early but sometimes you have to do the whole building. He said he spends most of his time just doing bed bugs. He told me that he did not see any bed bugs during his first spray but maybe that is because we cleaned everything? but he said my mattress didn't have any spots or anything on it.

17. kirstenmichelle

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 25 2010 18:16:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there! I'm so happy to have found this thread! I'm in Highland Park, but my lease is up (great timing, bed bugs found 2 mos before lease is up!) and I'm prolly moving into Chicago, so having resources available is faboo.

Question: does anyone know who/where I need to call in the 'burbs to find out what landlord/tenant protocols are? I'm in Lake County. My bldg mgmt haven't returned my calls, my bldg super just made gasping noises and said she'd call the mgmt. I have photos, bites and actual BUGS for evidence of this mess. I just don't know where to go with the information. I really just want my stuff de-insected before I move so I don't move them with me.

Also, if I should cross-post this somewhere I'd be happy to do that, I just figured I'd start with the locals. :O)

Thanks.
    *Kirsten

18. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 20:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if you have checked out the Chicago vs BedBugs site. (Admin note: Link removed. Chicago vs. bed bugs is no longer active and their website has been taken down as of 12/1/2010).

I think you will find information and resources that will be helpful for your move.

I highly recommend CDIS for K9 inspections and referrals info.

( Disclaimer: CDIS utilizes dogs trained by our company)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,821 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen