Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

A few vacuuming questions

(9 posts)
  1. death2allbbs

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 26 2008 23:40:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been curious about this for a while, but in needing to vacuum before and after the PCO leaves, does that mean that imperceivable eggs and nymphs are all over a person's carpet? Plus, does that mean that bbs not only lay eggs in nests, but that they also lay eggs on the floor in the the carpet? Additionally, I have never been instructed to do this, but is it better to try to move as many things in your home as possibe(e.g. sofas, bags, desks, treadmills, cabinets, furniture, etc.) and vacuum under them? Thanks in advance for you answers.

2. BugsInTO

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2008 17:33:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Good question. I am interested too.

I have read a couple of FAQ's, here's the info I found:

- Use a crevice tool on the vacuum cleaner
    - Vacuum the mattress, the bedframe, the box spring, the baseboards, the furniture near the bed and the carpets paying particular attention to the seams and carpet edges.
    -One FAQ mentioned the eggs are stuck down, and recommended using a brush on the surface before vacuuming.
    -Vacuum every day.
    - Throw out the vacuum bag immediately (use a vacuum with a bag if possible, or see separate info on how to clean a bagless vacuum)
    - Clean the attachments
    - One FAQ mentioned being careful about using vacuum attachments with brushes on them because bedbugs could get caught in them.

Based on this info, my thoughts are that the bed bugs are not likely to be out in middle of the carpet, or laying their eggs in the middle of the carpet. More likely to be on the edges of the carpet, or in the seams of the carpets.

From the pictures I have seen, bed bugs seem to like to get into narrow spaces and that if the furniture legs make a depression in the carpet, a bed bug might potentially lay eggs in the depressions.

I haven't seen any bed bugs being sucked up when I vacuum, but I have to imagine that it is happening.

It is helpful to keep the floors clean and vacuumed (we don't have carpets) because every speck of dirt the same approximate size of a bed bug makes me look twice.

They didn't mention vacuuming the drapes. We switched to a plain round curtain rod, and ran the drapes through the dryer, but for other styles of drapes this could be a lot of work. If you have a long hose, you could probably also vacuum the tops, seams, and hems of the drapes.

But, I haven't been doing this every day. I am now motivated again.

3. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2008 19:11:12
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsInTO - 1 hour ago It is helpful to keep the floors clean and vacuumed (we don't have carpets) because every speck of dirt the same approximate size of a bed bug makes me look twice.

I agree that, even if the vacuuming is not picking up eggs, at the very least it keeps the floor clean, so you aren't driving yourself crazy examining every piece of dirt.

I might also add that you should NOT use a vacuum on DE. I learned the hard way that vacuums die very quickly that way.

4. death2allbbs

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2008 23:18:36
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsInTO - 5 hours ago  » 
    Good question. I am interested too.
    I have read a couple of FAQ's, here's the info I found:
    - Use a crevice tool on the vacuum cleaner
    - Vacuum the mattress, the bedframe, the box spring, the baseboards, the furniture near the bed and the carpets paying particular attention to the seams and carpet edges.
    -One FAQ mentioned the eggs are stuck down, and recommended using a brush on the surface before vacuuming.
    -Vacuum every day.
    - Throw out the vacuum bag immediately (use a vacuum with a bag if possible, or see separate info on how to clean a bagless vacuum)
    - Clean the attachments
    - One FAQ mentioned being careful about using vacuum attachments with brushes on them because bedbugs could get caught in them.
    Based on this info, my thoughts are that the bed bugs are not likely to be out in middle of the carpet, or laying their eggs in the middle of the carpet. More likely to be on the edges of the carpet, or in the seams of the carpets.
    From the pictures I have seen, bed bugs seem to like to get into narrow spaces and that if the furniture legs make a depression in the carpet, a bed bug might potentially lay eggs in the depressions.

Geez, Louise! *Sigh* Thank you, BugsInTO.

5. death2allbbs

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2008 23:20:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy-Scratchy - 4 hours ago  » 
    I might also add that you should NOT use a vacuum on DE. I learned the hard way that vacuums die very quickly that way.

Thanks, Itchy-Scratchy. I've been looking for information about vacuuming and DE.

6. bugsgonecrazy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 28 2011 2:05:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure if this was right or not, but I left the powder treatment down along the baseboards, under bed after we moved it back. Just anywhere you wouldnt really touch on a day to day basis. I was thinking in case any bb happened to be in apartment for some reason that they would die. It worked for almost a year in sept. I've had no signs of bugs since then, but I have to be treated again. But was keeping powder down wrong? No pets, no kids! Thanks!

7. Rosae

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 28 2011 2:51:10
    #

Login to Send PM

If residual insecticides are sprayed on dust, the vacuum will remove them easily, so my view is that before the spraying dust should be removed and after the spraying you should not vacuum for several weeks.

8. Rosae

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 28 2011 2:59:48
    #

Login to Send PM

If the PCO allows you to vacuum immediately after spraying, he has not used a residual but only an immediate knockdown.

9. mezinfested

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2012 10:57:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you still purchase a power bed if you have bed bug problems? Since you can not contain the power platform it seems you would be at risk for the bugs in the platform?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982