Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

a few questions re clothes, shoes, visiting others

(3 posts)
  1. VP

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Sep 7 2008 20:58:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I am waiting for an inspection. Moved to new house 2mo ago but have had bites 2-3times over summer after staying at cottage and hotel and since have had a few bites and 1x bloodstain on sheet while sleeping in own bed. Pretty sure have brought bugs home and am praying there was not a bug problem in this house to begin with (no evidence I can see).

Regarding bagging of clothes - HOW LONG will I have to live out of ziplock bags once house is treated by pco? Also, would it be reasonable to put clean (heat treated) clothes into large, sealable (but probably not airtight) plastic bins with a "line" of vaseline around the bottom edge, rather than ziplock bag storage? I read the bin idea here somewhere and it seemed like a good one but I've never dealt with bedbugs before.

As well, what is the deal with coat and shoes? Do I need to be drying and bagging these items daily? Is drying them on hot x20min once then leaving them by the door not ok?

As well, can I visit other people's houses, sit on their furniture? Can other people visit my house? I don't want to over/under-react and would like to try and lead as normal a life as possible. Do I avoid visiting other homes and having people come to my home until the treatment is over (whatever that means), for 18months, not at all?

I would appreciate a second opinion before my inspection and longer talk with the PCO.

2. hatshepsut

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Sep 7 2008 22:30:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm wondering similar things myself. We just discovered a small area of BB feces on the outside of our mattress pad (mattress was not yet encased--now it is), and while taking the linens off to wash them, discovered a large live BB. So, now we're in it.

I'm wondering just *how* thorough we really need to be? How likely is it that our entire closets, dressers, bookshelves, etc. are infested? We moved in 6 weeks ago, brought practically nothing with us, and now have thousands of dollars of brand new furniture. Is any of it treatable?? Is any of this covered under a typical renters' insurance policy?

Oh, and any rec's for a reliable PCO in brooklyn?

Lastly...how badly will my life suck, and how soon will I get it back? I'm afraid to know the answers...
    Thanks for your help.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Sep 7 2008 22:48:21
    #

Login to Send PM

We were aggressive in treatment, prep, disposal, caulking, etc. We started late May, by mid June saw the last bug and have for the most part returned to normal about 2 weeks ago.

About 3 months for us. I need a vacation now!

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956