Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

A few questions

(12 posts)
  1. Freaked out

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 15 2009 17:32:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I flew to Atlanta, stayed at a friend's house two nights, flew back to Illinois. I got bitten by bed bugs somewhere during the trip! Only on the butt,,11 bites on one cheek and four on the other (they went for the most delicate tissue and easy access, smart lil critters). My friend denied them from the start but after persistance he said he had home inspected and they found no bedbugs. My friend had found and caught a bat in his home, and had stated he didn't know how long it'd been there due to his tall ceilings! He got rid of it and this was within 2 weeks of my visit! Could this be a link, too??????? Since returning home, it's been 13 days and no new bites. I am totally paranoid and feel I'm going from manic depressive to schizophrenic! Should I call PCO even though I have no fresh bites or found any bedbugs????

2. ResponsibleJT

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 15 2009 20:06:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Freaked Out you were probably subject to the cousin of the bedbug the bat bug check out the info on Ohio States Website here while I doubt there is much for you to worry about keeping your eyes open and checking around would not hurt but I would not worry.

3. MyWorstFear

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 15 2009 22:39:24
    #

Login to Send PM

He found the bat 2 weeks before you were there or 2 weeks after? If it is after, I'd maybe worry about rabies! I don't know, maybe one of the experts will respond, but maybe the bat had some kind of fleas, mites, etc and they found you?

4. Freaked out

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Feb 16 2009 0:40:24
    #

Login to Send PM

He found the bat about 2 weeks before I got there

5. Freaked out

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 26 2009 22:00:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, okay, okay,,,any advice given here will be greatly appreciated. Okay,,,it's been a lil over 3 weeks since I returned from vacation and found the bites. It's taken forever for them to heal (being on the rear end). I went and bought 2 mattress encasements and pillows,,,even though I've found nothing!! The night before,,,after sitting on couch I noticed an itch on chest,,,with rash,,,,now a red bump. The night I put encasements on matt and box springs (4'11 and 103# um yeah I was working it),,,and I did it alone,,,and took me a good hour to do both. 2-3 hours later an itch on mid inner forearm with rash from two bites down to wrist with hives. Last night a bite lower chest,,,2 bites on shoulder,,,and some red bumps on my back!!!! WTF!!! The bites are not like the ones I first got,,,which was in the perfect linear/triangle 3 bites in a row. These are a lil different,,,but on different locations!!! Okay,,,should I go ahead and involve landlord and get PCO before it gets worse???

6. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 26 2009 22:38:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there any chance you can get a bed bug sniffing dog through? If you can, that is what I would do first. Secondly, I would have a PCO examine for signs. It is possible the new bites are not bed bug bites, I mean they could be, but it is possible something else. I think if you have access to a dog it could go a long way in helping you decide what to do. I feel for you, the not knowing is painful. Hugs...

7. Freaked out

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 26 2009 22:49:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!!! Living in Central IL,,,I think Chicago is the closest canine bed bug detection. I will look into it,,,depends on if they'd start hourly rate with drive time,,,5 hour roundtrip! Thank you thank you thank you!

8. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 26 2009 23:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Freaked out

Here is a link to the article RJT mentioned about bat bugs
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2105a.html

The presence of the bat might be unrelated, but I agree that bat bugs are a possibility, if bats were harboring somewhere in the building.

Here is a link to a Texas A&M article on diagnosing unexplained bites
    http://citybugs.tamu.edu/FastSheets/Ent-1012.html

A K9 inspection could help confirm or rule out a bed bug infestation.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 27 2009 0:07:06
    #

Login to Send PM

More bat bug threads in green "related posts" above and via the bat bugs tag.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. Freaked out

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 27 2009 1:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks ya'll,,,(yes I'm southern,,,born in Mississippi, from Alabama and moved here from Lousiana),,,first I want to say thanks to everyone here!!! It helps knowing I'm not alone in this battle! Just wanted to express my gratitude to this website. Thanks Doug,,,I'm calling Orkin with the bug dog and will update you!!! And thanks nobugs,,,for taking the time to be here.

11. Freaked out

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 27 2009 22:37:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to update,,,

Went to follow appt with family doctor today. Appt topic turned from my thyroid to these bites. He looked between fingers,,,stating could be scabies. (I disagreed of course),,,told him whole experience ya'll know,,,he prescribed permethrin 5% to apply all over after I've done the whole clean out and wash and pack in plastic routine this weekend (starting Sunday for me,,,but I'll have 3 days off). He said to bag clothes I do this with and before showering put in plastic and toss. He said to have clean clothes in plastic and apply prescription then. And to rinse next day. He said it's like a topical pesticide,,,but it's a scabicide,,,hope it works. Also he suggested purchasing Pronto Plus,,,otc pesticide,,,and does say "PLUS KILLS BEDBUGS". I bought three bottles. He said to drench couch and fabric furniture with this. Is he leading me in the right direction???????????????????

12. Freaked out

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 3:25:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Well,,,I think my doctor may have been correct,,,and I'm admitting it. Yesterday and today I turned my 2 bedroom apt upside down and downsized bigtime!!! Today was a lot of clearing out,,,getting everything ready for laundry and organized plastic bags! So,,,about 8 or so loads of laundry left to sanitize (in jeep outside and it's 5 degrees outside),,,did 5 loads here,,,started packing,,,etc,,,vacc everything top to bottom,,inside out,,,,during all of this I was itchy in multiple places,,,took a break to examine,,,and,,,around bra line,,,up shoulder,,,it's scabies. When i was in shower,,,scratch like place on top of foot (had socks and shoes the whole time),,,and it's the same spot that was itching!!!! So,,,took a shower,,placed dirty clothes in plastic bags,,,applied prescription (Permethrin 5%),,,clean clothes from bag,,,,put clean sheets on bed,,,bathed dog in flea/tick shampoo (she's now bitter at me,,,oh well,,safer than before)! I think it'd be a good idea to finish wash/dry/pack of the 8 or so loads with gloves!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,337 posts in 50,176 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14