a few last questions before I am out

(7 posts)
  1. almost done

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 0:24:24
    #

Login to Send PM

hi... not to discourage anyone but I have had a hell of a last 2 months, moved out of my apartment, threw out my furniture and cleaned everything else over and over and over... now in my new BB free place (I checked on the Bedbug Register before moving in) I am trying to put my life back together. One last question.

I have things that I sent out with my PCO about a month ago for professional fumigation in another county, I am going to be picking them up from a my old room mates new place and moving them into my new place- we have both treated all of our stuff but I dont know how throughly she treated hers. They have all been fumigated but what last precautions short of throwing everything away can I take to make sure sure sure for good that there are no bugs or eggs or anything left on my stuff, after all this its hard to trust a fumigator iv'e never met.
    The stuff includes:
    5x7 rug
    3 suitcases
    1 box book
    shoes and purses
    personal items like framed photos and knick nacks

Anyone with a shred of advice about how to kick this for sure and for good (while still living in Manhattan) please pass it my way ASAP before I pick up my stuff.
    Thanks!

2. NotSoSnug

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 1:01:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yup having BBs is hell for sure. I moved 3 weeks ago and even though I seem BB free I will still worry and watch, likely for a few months yet. Possibly forever.

Personally I would suspect anything handled or stored where I had no ability to completely account for all treatment or handling unless items were sealed at the fumigators with clearly marked and untampered seals/bags. I had some clothes dry-cleaned and I am leaving them bagged for as long as I can (2.5 months so far and shooting for a few more months if possible) just in case.

You can heat treat some of those items to be sure if you are still nervous, theres a 'librarian protocol' for paperwork and books. Short of that theres always the 18 month storage rule. I found that my captured BBs didnt survive past 2 months but one never knows with these things. I've read PCOs that have said in their experience 3 months is pretty well a max, but Usingers lab tests showed 18 months so everyone quotes that just to emphasize how enduring the risk truly is.

Too bad you had to throw stuff out, for many a good treatment regime can work. I threw a few things out in reflex so I understand the feeling. They are just begining to show up where I am (small town Canada) but I suspect it won't be long before we are all at the Manhattan infestation rate percentile. I'm glad you have a registry there, up here there are lots of ostriches but no registry.

Hope it goes well for you at the new digs.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 1:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

NotSoSnug,

The Bedbug Registry covers all locations in the USA AND Canada. Simply input the location of an infested location (residence or hotel).

http://bedbugregistry.com/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 1:40:25
    #

Login to Send PM

almost done,

I am confused. Did you hire someone to use Vikane Gas to fumigate your belongings? Or is the word "fumigate" being used for treatment in a looser sense (as many seem to use it)? Did you verify what this person would be doing?

And then the items are going to the new home of someone else who had experienced a bed bug infestation? If you think there is a chance the roommate may still have some bed bugs (perhaps in stuff that wasn't treated as you describe), then this may be a point of exposure. If it isn't too late to sidestep that part of the equation, you might do it for your peace of mind.

5. NotSoSnug

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 1:56:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks NoBugs: I appreciate that the online registry exists, but I am loath to register on a public US website for a Canadian matter without legal advice, or where I can be distinguished as an individual from a suite address while a legal dispute is ongoing (they kept my damage deposit illegally and provided no paperwork at all as of yet). Suffice to say that building is not yet registered on that site but does show up as having been searched.

I was referring to a Gov run registry as well, not a grassroots site. I wonder if the DMCA can be used to pull down a registered infestation at this site? I suspect that private property such as apartments have legal rights to protect their infestation data.

6. almost done

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 12:08:44
    #

Login to Send PM

sadly, my stuff is already in a sticky situation.
    I did send it out to get fumigated with Vikane gas, and then I left town on winter break for a month. The stuff has been stored at my roommates new place, which was BB free when she moved in to it. But I have a fear that maybe she didn't treat everything she took with her to her new place as well as I would have done. So there is a chance, granted very slim, that some BB's traveled with her to her new place, and therefore back into my stuff which was fumigated.
    Yikes right.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 14:01:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi NotSoSnug,

I know of no government-run registries, anywhere.

Your concerns are legitimate ones. I'm not sure they're any less applicable to US residents either, for what it's worth. I was just pointing out that the registry in question covers Canada too.

Almost done,

I am afraid I have no additional suggestions. Was your roommate allergic to bed bug bites, did she react? If so, and she isn't now, this is something to be relieved about. (Sorry if you said and I missed it.)

Other than that, you can use NotSoSnug's suggestions, you can look through the faqs on getting bed bugs out of stuff: http://bedbugger.com/faqs/stuff/

Or you might put down some fresh water food grade DE carefully, in strategic locations, to hopefully catch any stragglers.

One of the frustrating things is it's really hard to be entirely sure you don't have a bed bug somewhere. Frankly, unless you know for certain how you were infested, it's possible you have ongoing contact with the original source.

Although this idea makes people panic, I personally think we have to embrace the concept that we can't be sure, do what we can, and let it go. If you are allergic to bites, then you have a blessed early warning system in place. At the first sign of a bite, you can spring into action.

If it ever happens, and you do react immediately, it can all be gone very quickly. (I can point to two bed bug bloggers who had this experience a second time, and it was not bad, not compared with the original battle. You can see Caryn's and Caitlin's stories linked from the success stories page.)

I don't think you have bed bugs, but I hope this helps somehow.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula