Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

A bit off topic, but a bed bug (education) party?

(9 posts)
  1. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 12:48:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, a bit off topic and I have no clue as to what topic to even put this under, so Nobugs, please feel free to re-topic (is that even a word?) this one…

So, a bit of background. My son is competing in Special Olympics this year for the first time. The team he is joining usually receives a few gold metals and goes to compete at the state level….4 hours away. The team also books their rooms months ahead of time. The other night at practice while discussing booking rooms one of the moms (one of my dearest friends who knows that I always check my hotel rooms before settling in) says, hey, Butterfly (of course she used my real name, I don’t go around in life by the name of Butterfly ), knows how to check rooms for bed bugs. She can check all of our rooms for us and we can buy her dinner (I’ll admit visions of shrimp cocktail, a medium-rare filet mignon, and Death by Chocolate danced in my head before coming to my senses). There are approx. 17 families going….meaning 17 rooms…. And while even if it was just 1 or 2 rooms, I know the better thing would be to teach them how to check themselves (you know, the whole give a man a fish/teach a man to fish story). So, I promised them that I would put together some info along with a video of checking rooms.

Now, I LOVE the challenge of putting together a good out of the ordinary theme party. I once threw a “back in the dating scene” party for a wonderful friend who, after years of physical abuse, finally discovered the courage to divorce her scoundrel of a husband. After about 6 months, she was ready to start dating again, and well, as I said, I love out of the ordinary type parties. And even more than throwing the party, I love to decorate for the party. And this one gave any bachelorette party a run for its money…lol.

So, all of this brings me to the idea of throwing a bed bug education party. I have gone through a lot of anxiety over bed bugs and the last thing I want to do is to put that kind of anxiety onto another person. I thought since I will be giving all these ladies the info anyway, why not do it in a fun way….to take the “ewww” factor away….even if just a little bit.

Good idea, bad idea, or just plain silly? And what the heck am I gonna do for decorations??? Is there such a thing as a bed bug shape ice cube tray? If I can find ice cube trays in the shape of the male anatomy, then surely I can find one in the shape of bed bugs…

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 12:57:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have always wanted to do "snakes and ladders" the bedbug edition; a few easy ones are keep samples for ID move up ladder or let of fogger go back to start. Its not enough to make up a whole party but its a game that adults and kids can play together.

The use of cartoons also helps educate children and dramatically takes out away the fear in most adults.

I have not found bug ice cubes yet although I do know how to get them made. I did once have a box of bug candy sweets to give away at meetings and there are loads and loads of toys and games that connect to bedbugs. Some of these you will see in the museum gallery linked below:

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/MuseumGallery.html

Good luck though, I think its a worthy cause.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 12:57:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Of course it's a GREAT idea!!!!

Here . . . have David Cain make you some badges!!!

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/fancy-helping-to-spread-to-word-i-have-a-new-idea

Knowledge is power!

Spread the word not the bed bugs!!!

. . . you can even show his video on how to check rooms! (The accent is awesome!)

4. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 13:21:14
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thank you so much!! I had completely forgotten all about the bed bug game until I looked on the link you included. Found it on Amazon along with fake bed bugs gag gifts. Maybe instead of bed bug shaped ice cubes, I could take the bugs from the game and freeze them inside of ice cubes to chill the drinks (after cleaning them of course and I won't use them in any actual drink cups. Don't need anyone ingesting one of them!!).

AbsolutelyFreaking,

David's video is how I learned to check my hotel rooms. Great video, and well, the accent is the perfect way to keep the ladies attention on actually watching the video (no disrespect meant, David).

5. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 13:49:40
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I'm thinking of doing "Bed Bug Bingo". Instead of numbers, I would use key words, with "bed bugs" being the center free spot. I can print these out on card stock. I need a lot of key words, so if you all could help me out with some words, that would be great!! I want to do maybe 5 rounds. I have a couple of extra passive monitors that I can use as prizes, and I was thinking of buying a couple of small LED flashlights as well (I can pick these up pretty cheap at Kohls and I have a 30% coupon right now). I need one more prize. Any thoughts on something else that isn't very expensive? I'm getting really excited now. I think this will be really fun and educating at the same time.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 13:56:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Butterfly1972,

Yes the game pieces are too small and sharp to consider going that with, I was thinking about having someone make a clay forming mold and creating vacuum formed ice molds, most high schools in the UK have access to the machines you need.

No worries on the voice, when I lived in Texas I may have spoken a little louder than usual to make sure people knew that the big bloke was also English. A few years ago a BB client actually asked me if I wanted to work as a voice coach on weekends as I had such a commanding voice. I politely declined on the grounds that I had other things to keep me busy on the weekend that utilised that aspect of my vocal inflection. I don't even have to resort to a Paddington Bear hard stare that often.

In fact now you have made me think about it the one radio piece I don't think I have a record for was BBC Radio Four women's hour where my introduction of "we have been joined in the studio by a rather imposing looking gentleman dressed in all black" to which my only response was to say in the most velvet and molten chocolate tones "Good morning ladies". Oddly enough following such days my YouTube views go up but the number of users goes up at a slower pace.

I will try and do more audio for you all this year, I promise, maybe that long overdue relaxation video :wink:.

David

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 14:02:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Butterfly1972,

If you PM me an address I will post you a prize pack if you agree to give us feedback post event.

We finished our game of bedbug bingo a few years ago when I declared "full house" having met everyone in person over a two year period, although I am sure NoBugsOnMe actually sent a patsie with a audio linked ear piece so I would not rumble her and we really should re-do the cards to include TAOT, Abs, Cilecto and the new others.

David

8. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 14:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

I have to say that I, along with a lot of other ladies on here, will be patiently (well, maybe not so patiently) awaiting the release of your relaxation video!!

And, I'll PM you my address. Thank you so much! That is so very kind of you! And I will definitely post back after the party. I tend to write long posts, so it'll be a pretty detailed post.

9. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 19:54:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Brilliant, Butterfly1972! You will have so much fun preparing; your guests, learning.

David, now I will have to not think about your ... voice and concentrate on the message whenever there are video/radio clips. Just joking!

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,337 posts in 50,176 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14