Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

A ? about the eggs

(12 posts)
  1. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 20:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

So while I was doing my vacuuming of the furniture I ended up with some unusual stuff in the container (it's a bagless with the filter removed). They look much like the pictures of eggs I have seen here and elsewhere.

They are small and black shaped the same as the pictures and hard. I am unsure if they are actually eggs but am wondering about this.

If they are indeed BB eggs if I keep them in a sealed bag will they hatch at some point?

Just wondering as I usually empty and seal the contents of the vacuum container in a ziploc and then dispose of. I've never seen this before and am curious.

2. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 22:17:40
    #

Login to Send PM

IBB, I think you are referring to BB feces.I think the eggs are white in color or translucent,not black.Not an expert ,though I do have the little monsters. I've only seen one harborage with eggs at my neighbors',which we destoyed.It was definatly not black,but white ,almost translucent.The feces are black,but in her case they were close together,the feces and harborage were a few inches apart.Hope that helps.

3. Battleofthebugs

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 23:03:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Search for a picture online to see how the eggs look. Every thing I saw showed them white or almost translucent as well. We found two clusters and several stragglers and immediately were able to identify them just by sight after looking at photos online. It's easier if you find a cluster of course. The stragglers we found were near the clusters, and nest, so we didn't miss those ones. The ones we found were stuck in the wood slats of our headboard. The eggs could NOT be sucked up by a vacuum w/out first scraping them free.

4. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 23 2008 23:29:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure how I got confused on what the eggs look like as once I did some more checking on websites I now realize they look like I originally thought they did - white and elongated. I think my brain is on overload.

I also checked out photos of the feces of BB's and now have a bigger mystery on my hands. They only look vaguely similar. Does the feces dry into irregular roundish shapes and become really hard?

I have only come across a more squishy type that smears when wiped or touched. Guess I can check with the PCO on saturday and see what they think.

5. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 27 2008 3:19:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I found clusters of eggs on the one piece of furniture that I wanted to keep yesterday. I am so pissed cuz it is something that I have had since I was 10. My husband immediately emptied the drawers and set the damn thing on the balcony. Not a very happy camper!!! I will be getting my dressers re-done sooner than I wanted to but they are important to me. If I could ever figure out how to load my pix from my HP acct to my flickr acct you could see what I see!!!

6. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 27 2008 4:06:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Before I even started seeing any live bugs (preBB: didn't know what that tiny white feller was streaking across my folded pants on a bookshelf, homes have insects, you know?), it seems I was seeing egg nests *everywhere*. The egg cluster I saw on my "night table" (which was nothing but a stool with iron legs and a round piece of wood on top, no drawers or anything) could only be seen with a halogen-type Maglight. When I looked for it later with the naked eye, I couldn't find a thing; though I could clearly see the nest on the zippered seam of the futon couch in the living room. I tried scraping and destroying the cluster on the nightstand, but couldn't scrape the stuff out of its crevice. Based on that, I doubt a vacuum cleaner could suck up all the eggs. They are like the bugs, buried and tenacious. I'm not against vacuuming, though - throw everything you've got at it and see what sticks.

7. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 31 2008 11:46:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all so much for discussing your experience with eggs. I am going to get a maglight. I have seen pictures of the eggs online but they were magnified in the pics. How big are they really? Would you say they're as big as a sesame seed?

I have not been seeing any sign of bugs but I want to inspect my stuff closer, that's why I'm asking.

8. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 31 2008 11:56:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Not all bedbug eggs are laid in clusters. I had the incredible fortune to see a bedbug laying an egg in my apartment on the underside of a navy pillow on an infested couch. I got out a jewelers loupe and watched the whole thing close up (before I killed the bedbug and carefully disposed of the pillow). I noticed that she had laid her eggs in a rectangular grid on this pillow, each egg about 3/4 of an inch from the nearest egg. I wished I had taken a photo. Maybe I just have mathematical bedbugs, but I never expected to see anything like this. Also, I noticed how incredibly strong the glue was that held the eggs to the pillow. Tough! Not at all like sticky note glue, much more like Super Glue.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 31 2008 12:17:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed bug eggs are typically 1mm to 2mm in size and a definite lozenge shape, a bit like a sausage. They tend to be one of two colours, the amber / creamy ones still contain a bed bug which may or may not be viable to hatch. When hatched the eggs take on a pearlescent white colour and if you look closely enough at one end will have an almost perfect spherical opening.

I have numerous close up pictures of eggs in the gallery on my site including a few where you can compare sizes versus bed bugs and some common features of bedrooms.

I have seen them laid on both clusters and as single eggs which can be difficult to spot if you do not know what you are looking for.

Good luck hunting.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  10. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 31 2008 20:00:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoa. Yikes A-Mighty! This is a really interesting thread and goes a long way toward explaining why moving can be so tricky and often fail.

11. ltanzania

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 24 2008 11:54:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Are the eggs sticky? I found something that looks like the pictures I've seen on my roommate's mattress cover, but I was able to remove it with my fingers (it didn't feel glued down as described above). It felt sticky. Was it something else?

12. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2008 17:31:59
    #

Login to Send PM

ltanzania, could they have been fresh, so the glue didn't finish congealing? I actually don't know if it works that way, it just seems logical they would be less sticky when first laid. It also could have been something else, lord know there is stuff in the air. I think eggs look like lint or boogers, so if I ever see anything suspect I have to get a magnifying glass.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991