Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

91 degrees here in the northeast today....

(2 posts)
  1. Diablo

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 11 2011 18:48:51
    #

Login to Send PM

i decided to do an experiment since it was 91 degrees here today.
    i took a few articles of clothes, put them in black plastic trash bags (a few items in each bag...didnt want to stuff the bags full), threw in a digital thermometer (it records the high and low of the day as well), and put the bags on the hood of my car for 5 hours in the sun.
    i come back later in the day and i see a high temp of....122 degrees!!!! woohoo!!!!

is it safe to say that anything in that bag wouldve been toast in that high heat for that long?????
    (i believe anything above 113 degrees kills bedbugs and their eggs instantly)

tomorrows forecast is for 99 degrees and i'll do it to more of my stiff....plus i'll throw in some items inside the car since it'll probably be even hotter inside.

seems like a cheap way to eradicate anything that might be living in your clothes.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 11 2011 22:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

If the temperature of 122 was reached in the core of every single item, then it was probably sufficient.

The problem with this as a method is that it's usually hard to determine if the killing temperatures were reached throughout every item in the bag -- as opposed to the thermometer simply registering that it got to 122 somewhere in the bag.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19